Esteemed Contributor

O/T Dealing with a auto immune disease

Hello my fellow beauties. I am hoping you guys can give me some encouragement because I am really feeling down right now.This is going to be long so I ope you will read the whole thing.

The last month or so I have not been feeling well. To the point of having trouble getting up for work ect. I have been to the doctor twice and have had blood workup done. and everything seems to be fine. Let me also say I have a auto immune disease have dealt with for 20+ years. So many things are hard for me to do. For most of this time I have been happy and I deal with it. In the last few months I have been to the point of blaming god and being angry with him because want so much to do things easily. It has started to affect my work in that I cant seem to get up and get going in the mornng. The only opton I really have left is to go on short term and take some time off. I dont want to do that. I want to work and am good at my job.

I guess in the long run especially from those that have physical challenges how do you keep bright attitude everyday and feel like you are living your life instead of just existing. I really need a friend that will just listen and be there. I have a wonderful family but sometimes you need freind to talk to about these things. I am so tired of feeling bad and just dont know how to stop the spiral I am on,

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Dealing with a auto immune disease

I just returned to tell you again we are here for you. I am glad you have a nice family. That is something to be thankful for. Not everyone has that. Remember, this too shall pass...
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't adopt a new pet right now......it could cause you more stress. Instead of taking a leave of absence, perhaps you could get your hours reduced, or go to a 3 or 4 day week. Most companies won't hold your job open for 4 months, and will reassign you.......which would be even more stress.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I wasn't diagnosed until 13 years after I became very sick. My PCP cannot rely on the records from the medical school docs who cared for me before because, the local doc has lied and said I never had my illness to begin with because my inappropriate, now deceased, mother, upset his receptionist, who behaves in the same way my very ill mother behaved but she clearly had power over this doc so she got her way.

The rheumies in my community essentially have formed a cabal and have a number of rules they follow, such as not seeing any patient another rheumie refuses to treat, and many other equally unethical and probably illegal practices. The awful thing is everyone knows it including the state board of medical examiners and no one stops them! I would have to leave my community and drive more than 90 miles to see a rheumie in another town and the group home and supervisors of group homes, will not allow that.

So I have had no treatment since 2007 and am pretty sick now because in early 2012, my PCP relented and finally put me on an immune modulator, an antimalarial that begins with p, with very low risk of side effects. I had my 3rd ankle fusion last December, 2012, and the docs who took care of me in the hospital, hassled him about it because of the things the local rheumie said I didn't have it (4 med school experts in my illness say I have it and had it so bad I needed chemo for 2 years after it went into my brain) so he stopped the med and raised my prednisone dose, which has life threatening side effects. But my PCP can't do anything else and my inflammation is completely out of control since they stopped the very safe drug. I have had very serious pericarditis in the past and the inflammation must be controlled. I already have steroid induced osteoporosis, which caused a bone in my foot to break while I was standing still and cataracts and the list of dangerous side effects goes on.

How do I deal with it?

Years ago, 1985 to be specific, I was sent to a Center for Attitudinal Healing (based on book by Jerry Jampolsky, MD called "Love is Letting Go of Fear") for support while all my docs thought i was dying and I began to change how I looked at the world.

Now I study the book Love is letting Go of Fear is based on called A Course in Miracles, and though sometimes I forget, I try to live a life of forgiveness and love, including toward the Rheumatology Cabal and the entire medical establishment in my state that allows them to behave in such an awful and unethical manner.

Ultimately it comes down to forgiving myself and my own body for attaching me because as we both know is what happens in auto-immune illness.

Note: this is to answer the OPs question and the only way I can deal with this on and off life threatening illness. It is not an attempt to proselytize or convert anyone. I have tried to write this in as innocuous way possible so some person with a fear/rule based religion will not report this as inappropriate before the OP can read this. Every other time I have mentioned ACIM the posts are removed but no one is removed for mentioning the bible and to me ACIM is the 3rd testament. if you report this as an inappropriate post, you are denying me and many hundreds of thousands students of ACIM in the world, our rights to publicly discuss our religion, which is my right to free speech and freedom of religion, rights guaranteed under the US Constitution.

Also, someone will inevitably say I am lying and they can believe what they want. Every word i have written is true and in the real world I have the written records to back the entire story. How do I deal with these posters, I pray for them after I hit the ignore button.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/31/2013 Snowpuppy said:

I have an auto immune disorder as well and the biggest trigger for a flare is stress.

I got so sick a few years ago I didn't know what to do. I was very seriously ill. I saw my dr who said "your job is killing you. Even if I put you on a treatment regimen you need to get out of there" (the job).

I did. It took 18 months for me to get well. They didn't offer short term disability only total disability. I quit. I got outta there and saved my own sanity. My boss was a certified nut case and it was taking it's toll.

Is your life worth your job? If you keep going you may not have a choice to make.

I totally believe this. When we got a new dept. head, my AI issues appeared. I desperately wanted to reach full retirement because I had a good plan. I held on even though every day felt like a curse. I truly felt like a new woman when I retired almost six years ago. Just a few weeks ago I started worrying that my symptoms were re-appearing, but they are totally gone again. Rest is vital.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

On 12/31/2013 ccassaday said:

Not to mention within the last few months my neighber illegally entered my apartment, my last kitty died and my sisters father in law had a major stroke saturday.I will feel like a failure if I have to take time away from work.

Super Contributor

I'm sorry. Hugs to you, for everything you've been dealing with. You could have nutritional deficiencies -- D or even iron which can mean anemia and pronounced fatigue. Also AI can cause idiopathic fatigue. So a little time off work could help you... but be careful, because some employees will fire you because you take an FMLA leave, even though it's illegal. That's what mine did, then of course they lied about it to cover things up.

If your company would let you telecommute one day a week even that could help when you're feeling fatigue. I highly recommend experimenting with your diet, try going off gluten for a month, then nightshades, sugar, etc. I improved more going off gluten than I had for years with various medications, and I went into remission and have improved dramatically the past 3 years. This despite testing negative for celiac.

Then again, you may be mildly depressed from the combination of trials you've faced this year. Talking to a counselor is a good idea, and considering a mild anti-D such as SSRI.

Best wishes to you... don't hesitate to get help for yourself, you deserve it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Rununculus said:

I'm sorry. Hugs to you, for everything you've been dealing with. You could have nutritional deficiencies -- D or even iron which can mean anemia and pronounced fatigue. Also AI can cause idiopathic fatigue. So a little time off work could help you... but be careful, because some employees will fire you because you take an FMLA leave, even though it's illegal. That's what mine did, then of course they lied about it to cover things up.

If your company would let you telecommute one day a week even that could help when you're feeling fatigue. I highly recommend experimenting with your diet, try going off gluten for a month, then nightshades, sugar, etc. I improved more going off gluten than I had for years with various medications, and I went into remission and have improved dramatically the past 3 years. This despite testing negative for celiac.

Then again, you may be mildly depressed from the combination of trials you've faced this year. Talking to a counselor is a good idea, and considering a mild anti-D such as SSRI.

Best wishes to you... don't hesitate to get help for yourself, you deserve it.

Idont worry to much about bring fired with short term.It wouldnt be Family Leave. I know I dont eat enough or eat right.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Desertdi said:

I wouldn't adopt a new pet right now......it could cause you more stress. Instead of taking a leave of absence, perhaps you could get your hours reduced, or go to a 3 or 4 day week. Most companies won't hold your job open for 4 months, and will reassign you.......which would be even more stress.

I could probably get my hours reduced but then I cant afford my apartment and car and right now my parents have a two story house so there is no way I can move in with them. As of right now I want to avoid govt disability if possible.

Honored Contributor

Having been diagnosed with RA ten years ago, and since contracted Sjogren's, I am very familiar with autoimmune disease. Also, severe osteoporosis leading to ten compressed vertebrae, two for which I had surgery in August. The most difficult thing is weaning off the prednisone, which I now have down 7 mgs a day. I have significant pain and disability from both RA and back pain from severe osteoporosis (caused by prednisone).

My question to you is which autoimmune diseases do you have? Has there been a definite diagnosis of RA, lupus, or scleroderma, Sjogren's, or is it "undifferentiated?" I have excerpted a description of the latter.

I. Definition

The term "undifferentiated connective tissue disease" (UCTD) is used to describe people who have symptoms and certain lab test results that look like a systemic autoimmune disorder or connective tissue disease. But they don't have enough of such characteristics to meet the diagnosis for a well-defined connective tissue disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or scleroderma. Thus, they seem to have another, similar disorder that doctors call undifferentiated connective tissue disease."

[A systemic autoimmune disorder means that it affects your whole body (systemic) and that your immune system, which normally protects you from outside invaders such as bacteria, turns on parts of your own body and attacks them as if they were invaders. Connective tissue is the "glue" that supports and connects various parts of the body; it includes skin, cartilage, and other tissue in the joints and surrounding the heart and lungs and within the kidney and other organs.]

Although the word "undifferentiated" sounds vague, rheumatologists know this term describes a real problem. It does not mean that your doctor does not know what to call what you have.

This undifferentiated category is distinctly separate from another group of vague-sounding disorders called "overlap syndromes." People with these syndromes have enough features of more than one connective tissue disease to meet the diagnoses for several at the same time. Thus, they "overlap" two or more diseases. (For example, mixed connective tissue disease [MCTD] is just such an "overlap" syndrome.)

In contrast, patients with UCTD will not have enough of the features of any one rheumatic disease to be firmly classified as such by the currently established diagnostic criteria. However, because they may have features from several known diseases, they are said to be "undifferentiated."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986