Respected Contributor

O/T...Anyone use cast iron grill pans??

I guess this could be a beauty question...if you cook salmon (good for your skin)Smile

Anyway, I'm asking because I have a good quality cast iron grill pan, and get sooooo much smoke in the house. I tried a small amount of olive oil, and another time, some cooking spay, thinking that would cut down the smoke. Seems cooking burgers make the worst smoke, all through the house, and smells allll day! I mean reeeeallly smokey (could choke). Also made Salmon. I wrote into the manufacturer (Lodge) and waiting on an answer.

This is a seasoned pan, so no need to season. If any of you use a cast iron grill pan, please let me know, if this common. I also have a regular cast iron fry pan, and I don't get any smoke.

Respected Contributor

Re: O/T...Anyone use cast iron grill pans??

I used to have a Lodge fry pan and dumped it. Over time, it just started looking "nasty". Now, I use a George Foreman Grill. I'll probably never use cast iron again.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

On 1/18/2015 rina33 said:

I used to have a Lodge fry pan and dumped it. Over time, it just started looking "nasty". Now, I use a George Foreman Grill. I'll probably never use cast iron again.

They say if it starts looking dull, and grayish, you just have to season it again. After washing, just dry it, and apply vegetable oil all over, and bake it. Also make sure you keep them coated with a very thin layer of oil when you store it. Lodge website has care instructions. They last a life time. Maybe you'll try one again. As far my grill pan goes...someone just suggested not over heating it. I'm still waiting on aswers.

Honored Contributor

You should post this on the Kitchen & Food forum, too. You'd probably get more answers.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

On 1/18/2015 rina33 said:

They say to season it again, if that happens,

Respected Contributor

Yes I did post on the kitchen forum also. Hoping to hear from Lodge manufaturers too.

Respected Contributor

You may have to turn the heat down after you start cooking. Cast iron holds heat like crazy.

I only use Griswold or Wagner - these are very old ones and I get them at antique shops or flea markets, a couple were from my Mom. These newer ones don't compare to the older ones in quality. I would also use a high heat oil that doesn't smoke so much at a higher temperature and use some of that on the pan.

LOVE my cast iron for cooking!

Honored Contributor

We have a flat grill pan we use on our gas grill. In the house I would use it for french fries or browning anything I would use a cast iron frying pan for.

Fish is much too delicate for that type of heat, even though you always use cast iron on low to medium.

Regular Contributor

I use my round grill pan quite often.I think your heat is too high.I start mine off on med high and then reduce to med or lower..I broil round chuck or sirlion .I do spray my pan with Pam before cooking and also use the fan on the kitchen hood. Stove is electric.Have many pieces of cast iron most are Lodge and use their directions for taking care of them...My cast iron wok came from Brylane and was pre-seasoned and it smoked some but doesn't after several uses...not all cast iron is the same but with care can be used..You will probably have comment on too high or too low heat no one can agree on this after reading many cook books on cast iron cooking.......I would like to add that I use a cast iron press a large one that almost covers the round grill.This helps on splatters and keeps some smoke down can't cook without it.

Respected Contributor

Apprciate the answers here. I tried cooking spray. Maybe I'll try putting the heat low. I hope Lodge writes back...I'll let you know. Did I mention my other cast iron regular fry pan doesn't smoke...just this grill pan. The kitchin and food forum had a couple people say they cause alot of smoke from the fat dripping between the grids...IDK but I know I had temp up high, so I'll keep it down once the pan heats up.