Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T Any tips, tricks or recs for going to Disney World

We go every year and take my daughter and her family. I prefer to stay ON property. We have booked the Grand Floridian the last 4 years. I like that we can catch the Monorail right at the hotel. My grandaughter is 3 1/2 and it was so much easier when we were all tired and cranky from a day in the parks to get back to the room. Staying on property is also good if someone wants to leave and the others don't. The older adults can go back and sit by the pool while the younger ones stay longer at the park. 

If this is your first time or you haven't been there in awhile....you really need to read up on making dinner reservations, fast passes and how the magicbands work. You can't just 'wing it' anymore. Dinner reservations need to be made 180 days before your arrival IF you stay on property. If you don't, you have to make them 90 days in advance....and believe me...the good resturaunts get booked up FAST...especially the ones with the Characters.....We wanted to eat in Cinerella's castle and it was booked up THAT FAR in advance and we couldn't get it.

I also like the "Magical Express". When we get off the plane in Orlando. we go to Disney's Magical Express area and we get on one of their buses and head straight to the hotel. They get our luggage and put it in our room. One less thing to worry about.

As others have said...Disney is expensive, crowded and HOT. Google "Kenny the Pirate" ...he has alot of tips to make you have a wonderful time.

Frequent Contributor

Read a couple of the many books on WDW that have great tips.  Make a plan, split up the group if need be to accomodate all interests.  (Some like thrill rides, some like shopping, etc.)  Go to the parks early in the day, then leave at lunchtime, eat off park where it's cheaper, go back to your hotel and take a nap before returning to the parks in the late afternoon when everyone else will be burnt out.  Make reservations in advance for any popular restaurants or shows that you'd like to see.  Sunscreen and good shoes are a must, and enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

I recommend at least one meal with the characters. It's more expensive than other places on the property, but worth it for all the photo ops with the characters.  I also recommend that you make reservations so that you can get in and out in timely manner:  

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

Valued Contributor

We have been five times to DW and many more to DL...stay on property In DW if at all possible!!!  I love Grand Floridian, so charming and yes $$$$.   Even the Hilton is fine and closer than off property.

Respected Contributor

When going "Off Peak" keep in mind that Disney uses these slow times for maintenence on many rides. My sister just got back from WDW and Pirates was closed- a real bummer. Also went to Universal and many attractions were closed for repairs. 

Character dinning requires reservations unless you are very very lucky! When we got reservations at the castle it was by calling at 12:01 -6 months before our trip. 

We love The Grand Floridian. The Contemporary is on the monorail line but is not as pricey and has a character breakfast. 

Read and prepare as much as you can.