Contributor

Nutrisystem 5-day jump-start walkthrough!!

Hi everyone!

Has anyone done the Nutrisystem 5-day jump start? I have seen people start it or stop it, but not really talk about it while they were going through it. I am actually going to start it on Monday (I bought the kit at Walmart for $39.99 yesterday) and if y'all are interested, I will post every day about my progress, how I'm feeling, and if it actually works!!

For point of reference, I have never done a Nutrisystem program of any kind before, nor have I done Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, or anything like that. This is my first foray into a weight loss program and I am curious to see if it works!

Again, if it is something that y'all would like to read, then I'd be happy to post about it. I thought since Nutrisystem is sold on here then it might be a good topic. Also, others can talk about their experiences too, or if you want to join in, you can do that too! Smiley Happy

Contributor

Re: Nutrisystem 5-day jump-start walkthrough!!

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. I was thinking of trying this, not the whole plan, just the jump start for my diet. The food on TV for nutrisystem looks bad to me. It is bad enough having to diet to lose weight but if I can not eat good tasting food I will never stick to it.
Honored Contributor

I'm interested in your opinion and your results. I hated the food, just hated it. I had the one month program.

Super Contributor

Good luck! I tried it once, and the prepackaged food was a deal-breaker. When I had to pour hot water on a "beef" patty to plump it up ( much like one of those sponges) I thought...why am I not just grilling a hamburger? I like making actual fresh food instead...but that was a while ago...I wish you the best.

Trusted Contributor

I also found the food atrocious but that was a few years ago so maybe they have improved it some since then. I know they have revised the food since I tried it.

Wish you the best of luck .............. Hey, give it your best shot and see what you think. Some people don't have any issues with the food and hopefully you will be among them.

If I ever had to lose weight again and opted to use a designated food program, I'd try Jennie Craig ...... heard that a comparison study was done among all the top weight loss programs and JC got voted the most effective. Have heard their food is pretty good too. It is more expensive than NS is though so that's a negative.

Super Contributor

Julie, how did it go? I did Nutrisystem for a few months in 2008 and lost 25 lbs. It got to be too expensive for me to keep it up with spending all that money for the food and then spending addl. $30 a week for the fruits/veggies. I thought the food was good when doctored up with addl. veggies, but I'm not picky. I hate to cook in general so I thought it was a Godsend.

Super Contributor

I did Nutrisystem a long time ago and lost about 30 pounds (wish I had kept it off). The food wasn't awful--but I remember it was so salty, and I didn't have to watch salt then. Honestly, I think you could do the same thing with South Beach or Weight Watchers frozen meals at less cost.

Oops, I came back to add--I do want you to let us know how the 5 day works and I wish you well! Good luck!

Occasional Contributor

I started Nutrisystem last summer with two of the 5 day kits purchased at Walmart. I didn't really think five days was sufficient time to know if the program would work for me. The portion size is a little scary but I was amazed that I didn't feel hungry. After completing ten days, I decided to take the plunge and ordered but with the frozen foods instead of all "shelf" food. Not all of the foods hit a homerun with me, but I have found a number of foods that I like which I order each month. Since last July, I have lost 48 pounds. I agree that it is expensive, but I had gained quite a bit of weight during chemo (steroids and a mindset that I was entitled to eat what I wanted because I had cancer) which I could not lose. After surviving cancer, I value my health more than ever so that increases my commitment to losing weight. The "big secret" to Nutrisystem is portion control and ingredients. Protein shows up in ample supply in most of the items...including desserts. That definitely helps you feel satisfied. Hope this helps...
Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 Danae24 said:

Good luck! I tried it once, and the prepackaged food was a deal-breaker. When I had to pour hot water on a "beef" patty to plump it up ( much like one of those sponges) I thought...why am I not just grilling a hamburger? I like making actual fresh food instead...but that was a while ago...I wish you the best.

I think I'd faint if I saw a dehydrated "burger".........can only imagine what it looked like.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Good luck! I tried NS back in 2008 and the food was so chemicalized tasting I sent it all back. Perhaps it is better now...