Valued Contributor

Lucky me, I've been diagnosed with Alopecia Arata(sp?).  Anyone try Nutrafol? 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

Re: Nutrafol anyone?

[ Edited ]

I've never taken it. The main ingredients, for the womens' formulas, are collagen and biotin...nothing special about those and they should not cost too much. Imho, Nutrafol is an over-priced collagen/biotin/vitamin supplement.

If you are serious about treating your hair loss then consider getting a hair laser, for instance Hairmax. That is an FDA approved/cleared method of treatment for hair loss. Supplements are not.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've never taken it. The main ingredients, for the womens' formulas, are collagen and biotin...nothing special about those and they should not cost too much. Imho, Nutrafol is an over-priced collagen/biotin/vitamin supplement.

That's what I thought too.  I've taken biotin and it didn't help.  Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

Also try XFusion hair fibers, good deals on ebay, I have been using this for many years, a lifesaver. 

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Also try XFusion hair fibers, good deals on ebay, I have been using this for many years, a lifesaver. 

Thanks, I will.  Going to throw everything I can at it.  But it's a struggle. 

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

@Northray 

I've struggled with alopecia areata, and then recent traction hair loss, for most of my adult life.  The alopecia comes and goes. My hair laser helps a lot. It keeps more hair from falling out plus it stimulates new hair to grow. For me there's nothing better than that. I've tried it all. I'm 67 and have tried just about everything under the sun.

Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Ronny, I truly feel your pain, living with it is just like any other illness, you just fight your way thru it, I coud try a wig, but dont want to go that route unless I can no longer control it on my own, XF allows me to do that. I do not use a laser device only becauise it will not work successfully as long as the fibers are in your hair, and mine are always in there. And i refuse to try Minoxidil for various reasons. I have tried dozens of supplements, none have made any difference, but I always keep taking something in the hopes of it not getting any worse. 

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Ronny, I truly feel your pain, living with it is just like any other illness, you just fight your way thru it, I coud try a wig, but dont want to go that route unless I can no longer control it on my own, XF allows me to do that. I do not use a laser device only becauise it will not work successfully as long as the fibers are in your hair, and mine are always in there. And i refuse to try Minoxidil for various reasons. I have tried dozens of supplements, none have made any difference, but I always keep taking something in the hopes of it not getting any worse. 

Yes, I guess this is my new normal, trying not to feel sorry for myself.  There are worse things.  But I'm going to try the laser from QVC and then the powder for a coverup. Possibly some toppers too.   I did try Rogaine when I first noticed the problem but couldn't stick with it.  Thanks for the encouragement.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

I would try a laser that has a significant amount of lasers in it, worth the investment.