Esteemed Contributor

Re: Not every woman is a busy Mom or just busy

I know someone who likes to pretend she's "busy". Her kids are grown and she doesn't work, yet if she goes to the mall and then out for dinner with her husband, she'll exaggerate by telling me how "busy" she was and how she was "gone all day!" 

In her mind, because she was "gone all day", she works just as hard as someone who has a full time job.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

I know someone who likes to pretend she's "busy". Her kids are grown and she doesn't work, yet if she goes to the mall and then out for dinner with her husband, she'll exaggerate by telling me how "busy" she was and how she was "gone all day!" 

In her mind, because she was "gone all day", she works just as hard as someone who has a full time job.

Yes, I have a friend who has been retired for about 10 years.  If she has to make one telephone call in a day, perhaps to her insurance company to ask a question, she describes that as a "busy day".

She needs to have a necessary surgery, but on the day she went to the Doc, she was there almost three hours, including the time it took to go to the next door facility to have xrays.  Now she says they took up too much of her time, and she won't go back.

Valued Contributor

I just had to come back because I found this post so silly to the point of everything needing to be POLITICALLY CORRECT all of the time. People amaze me by being able to find the need to take offense at almost anything these days.

Trusted Contributor

I'm retired and never was a mom. I have plenty of free time. ;Sometimes I enjoy taking ;my tiime applying makeup and/or trying something new.. Other times I want to get it on as quickly and easily as possible. 

Promoting ease of applicaiton for buy moms doesn't bother me at all. Telling me that application takes time and tweaking would discourage me from even considering purchase. The whole purpose is to sell product. Most potential customers don't have the time and/or desire to spend a huge amount of time on a daily basis applying makeup.

Respected Contributor

@ctinaw wrote:

I just had to come back because I found this post so silly to the point of everything needing to be POLITICALLY CORRECT all of the time. People amaze me by being able to find the need to take offense at almost anything these days.

I think you are misunderstanding the term "politically correct". The complaint that is the subject of this thread has nothing at all to do with political correctness.

To be PC, one should refrain from racial, ethnic, religious and gender perjorative language. Simply stating an opinion about a phrase used on a shopping network is not being politically incorrect.

I think it's become popular lately to complain about being PC even when the term doesn't apply to the situation.  A mere disagreement over an opinion doesn't always involve being PC or not.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

So.........why are all these "busy moms" sitting around watching the Q?????

LOL

I have a friend who has one son, and he's 16.  She doesn't work, and she's married.  She is constantly telling me how busy she is because she has a 7000 sq. foot house and cleans often.

It cracks me up that every time she calls me she tells me how extraordinarily busy she is. 

My mom worked, cleaned and raised 9 children.  She was busy.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Busy or not I don't like spending a lot of time on my makeup and hair.  I want to look good but not make a project out of it.  I get sick of hearing the "busy mom" statement.  I am retired and can be busy or not.  I can be busy on the computer, busy playing with the dogs, busy reading or doing housework.   That busy mom thing has gotten way old. 

Honored Contributor

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me.  

Vendors need to cover all their bases when promoting their products.  The idea of quick and easy appeals to a lot of people.  It would be a mistake for vendors not to hone in on that.  Most of the time I'm not busy anymore either, but it certainly doesn't bother me to hear a vendor appeal to the other crowd.  What else are they going to say?  "So, for all you women who don't get out of jammies until 10AM and loll around the house all day, this is the product for you!"  Ha.

Frequent Contributor

As c_la_vee posted, they don't use this sales tactic on men's items. They appeal to men's lazier side. lol Usually with something like, "On your day off, you want to enjoy that easy chair, not spend time scraping your windshield" or whatever. Kind of amusing the difference in how they sell to women verses how they sell to men. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with you about the "busy mom" and "when you're rushing out the door in the morning" sayings getting old.  That's their sell, sell, sell tactics I guess.  I also hate it during the X-Mas selling frenzy when they tell us to get one for "the gardener, the bus driver, your nail tech, the neighbor who walks your dog. etc. .. like most of us working Joes have the money to get gifts for the neighborhood. I have a hard ehough time buying for my immediate family!