Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I guess I'm trashy too. 😄😄

I have one tat, but would do it again. 

@JeanLouiseFinch  My intent was not to put down anyone who has a nose piercing....but to ask what about it is attractive to you...to have a hole put through your nose etc...  I am 67 years old....so perhaps I am just OLD  in my thinking😄

I am only a couple of years younger than you, @SeaMaiden.  I got my nose stud a couple years ago when I lost my first 100 lbs. and finally felt attractive.  I also had three helix piercings done for colored studs to represent my grandchildren (their birthstones). All of those piercings are left alone.  My triple lobe piercings are the ones I change.  🤷‍♀️

What an accomplishment!! You go girl @JeanLouiseFinch .

Honored Contributor

I am very old school and have no piercings (except for earrings) or tats. 

My kids both have tats, though, and work in Corporate America. Go to Wall Street and you will often see a sea of executives with tats and piercings. We live in a very different, diverse world now very different than when I grew up.

Even my past employer Tiffany's ...their spokesperson in their advertisements has tats. Hailey Beiber has them displaying rings.😳 Back in the day, nobody had tats or they had to be well covered to even be hired...

Honored Contributor

My Grandfather had a tattoo which he got in the 1920's.

Respected Contributor

Just casually, I have noticed that the tiny stud in the side of the nose often seems inflamed around it.

I don't ask anyone what it might be made of (like is it gold and a tiny diamond).  I know that I cannot wear earrings that are not gold or sterling silver because my skin reacts to it.  Even happens sometimes with silver. 

So is the redness/irritation from the piercing itself or the stud in the nose?  I have had 2 hair stylists with them and never felt I should ask why they had redness around it!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I have allergies that flare up a few times a year.  When it's bad I can almost go through a whole box of tissues in one evening.  I wonder how those who have nose piercings handle that.  To me it would be another annoyance.

@haddon9 , that is always my thought. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I have allergies that flare up a few times a year.  When it's bad I can almost go through a whole box of tissues in one evening.  I wonder how those who have nose piercings handle that.  To me it would be another annoyance.

@haddon9  If it's one like I have, it's not even noticeable.  I don't even think about it. I do nasal rinsing twice daily, followed by some blowing and draining, and then a puff of a steroid treatment twice daily.  The piercing is a non-issue. 

My thoughts were more the hoops could be a problem, not the studs like yours.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Just casually, I have noticed that the tiny stud in the side of the nose often seems inflamed around it.

I don't ask anyone what it might be made of (like is it gold and a tiny diamond).  I know that I cannot wear earrings that are not gold or sterling silver because my skin reacts to it.  Even happens sometimes with silver. 

So is the redness/irritation from the piercing itself or the stud in the nose?  I have had 2 hair stylists with them and never felt I should ask why they had redness around it!

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003 after the initial piercing, there will usually be be some soreness and maybe a little redness at the site right after it's done or if the jewelry has a tight fit.  It takes awhile for the piercing to heal it - as much as a several months for it to completely heal, normalize, and no longer feel tender. As long as the wearer follows the cleaning instructions and keeps their fingers off of it, there should be no problem unless the wearer is allergic to the metal used. There are several metals used for the piercing jewelry.  The wearer should know what they're allergic to, though.  

Honored Contributor

Having 2 holes pierced in each ear is as far as I'm going with decorating my body.   

Valued Contributor

Being an RN, I just can't get past what is inside the nose, and how dirty those studs must get. I do think they look cute on some people.

At one time in my life, I really wanted to get a tattoo.  Then one day, I went to a water park and saw a lot of older women with older tattoos, many of which appeared blobby, blurry and saggy. That was when I decided I didn't want to get one. I don't judge anyone who has them and some are very meaningful, but I just fear for myself that it wouldn't age well.

Trusted Contributor

I only have one piercing in each ear but am seriously considering getting another set. I have a really pretty pair of small diamond hoops that I would like to wear with my gold studs. That's as adventurous as I'm willing to get. I'll be 70 next year.

I would never get a tat but they don't bother me on other people, although, if I had a daughter it would make me sad if she decided to get them. My mom taught me from a very early age to take care of my skin and I would have passed that advice on to my children (if I had any). I realize and appreciate that we're all different and others see them as beautiful and creative way to express themselves.