Honored Contributor

Re: Non Refundable Deposit At Hair Salon

People do get sick.  I think it is ridiculous that they enforce a cancellation policy.  I can understand it for people that constantly call in but not when you are actually sick.  I know my salon has a cancellation policy too.  Maybe you should try out the new salon and check out their policies.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Are you out the deposit or can you apply it towards a future cut?

It's non refundable if you don't follow their rules

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21   I found that my stylist was the one to "trigger" if a person was charged or not. For example: I'm sitting behind a traffic accident during rush hour. NO WAY am I going to get there on time. I called her cell. She told me not to worry to show up when I can. I did and no issue. Why? Because she knew I wasn't a client who misses her appointment. When my son had to be rushed to the hospital I had to cancel; again no issue. Why? Because we have a "relationship" as client and stylist. That may not be how it works at your salon but I would ask the person who you see on a regular basis. 

Cash or credit is different story. The average cost (with tip) is around $150; there are some procedures that run hundreds before a tip. A salon is going to lose money if CC's are banned. That said, no salon allows you to put the tip on your CC anymore. Must be cash that you bring. There were issues with stylists not getting their tips so, this became the norm. Remember, salon owners and managers as well as stylists attend seminars where how to run and grow your business is part of the program; these topics are discussed nationwide. If it's happening where you and I are, it's happening everywhere (or soon will be).

@SahmIam :  It has not been my experience in my area that tips are not put on CC's anymore, and I'm not talking about chain salons.  I am not a cash person so they would be out of luck.   

@Hoovermom   Since I was telling the situation where I live/my experience, this was regarding the salons in my area. Nail salons started doing this years ago in my area (no tips on CC). 

Tips on credit cards would mean the salon has to keep track of it for reporting purposes if they operate the same way as restaurants.

Respected Contributor

My dentist did this to me.  Not a deposit, but charged me $50 for cancelling the day of. I woke up sick with a cold and could not breathe through my nose, so there was no way to get through a cleaning like that.  I also didn't want to spread my germs.  Well they chased me down relentlessly for the $50 fee, even though I explained my situation and told them there was no way I could have gone through a cleaning.  They just did not care one bit and even sent it to collection because I kept ignoring it, thinking they'd give up.  I finally had to pay it. Their logic for charging me was "the hygienist had already shown up". I was like, am I the only patient you have that day????  Anyway, I still go there because my hygienist is the most beloved, gently woman who's ever worked on my teeth and I can't be without her. I learned my lesson and will never make that mistake again,  I'll just show up sick next time!  For hair, I used to book online at an upscale place that required a credit card and they always warned of the cancellation fee but never charged it if I called to reschedule, not canel, which I did several times.  

Honored Contributor

Insulting and not reasonable IMO. Like you said, @Greeneyedlady21 most illnesses come on quickly, so would be within the 48 hour window.  My salon does have something posted at the front desk about cancellations; to be honest I haven't paid attention because my stylist rents her space so the policy doesn't apply to her clients.  But I'll take notice next time for sure.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21   I found that my stylist was the one to "trigger" if a person was charged or not. For example: I'm sitting behind a traffic accident during rush hour. NO WAY am I going to get there on time. I called her cell. She told me not to worry to show up when I can. I did and no issue. Why? Because she knew I wasn't a client who misses her appointment. When my son had to be rushed to the hospital I had to cancel; again no issue. Why? Because we have a "relationship" as client and stylist. That may not be how it works at your salon but I would ask the person who you see on a regular basis. 

Cash or credit is different story. The average cost (with tip) is around $150; there are some procedures that run hundreds before a tip. A salon is going to lose money if CC's are banned. That said, no salon allows you to put the tip on your CC anymore. Must be cash that you bring. There were issues with stylists not getting their tips so, this became the norm. Remember, salon owners and managers as well as stylists attend seminars where how to run and grow your business is part of the program; these topics are discussed nationwide. If it's happening where you and I are, it's happening everywhere (or soon will be).

Mine does.  In DC.  My previous salon in MD did as well.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

To me this is the whole ‘slippery slope’ thingy again.

SOME clients offend, so instead of dealing with them, let’s do this one size fits all fix.

I work with my stylist, and he works with me.  

Otherwise, I’ll find someone else thank you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam :  It has not been my experience in my area that tips are not put on CC's anymore, and I'm not talking about chain salons.  I am not a cash person so they would be out of luck.   

@Hoovermom   Since I was telling the situation where I live/my experience, this was regarding the salons in my area. Nail salons started doing this years ago in my area (no tips on CC). 

Tips on credit cards would mean the salon has to keep track of it for reporting purposes if they operate the same way as restaurants.

@CelticCrafter :  I understand about tips on CC's as we are small business owners and deal with it.  IMHO it is just another part of doing business.

Honored Contributor

My hair salon is very accommodating.  Older clientele and many have to cancel for medical appointments/illness.    I know SPAs usually make you give your credit card info when making an appointment and if you cancel late or don't show up, your card is charged.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Mine does, @SahmIam. I love it. It bumps up my rewards back amount.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland