Honored Contributor

Re: Non Refundable Deposit At Hair Salon

@SahmIamMy stylist isn't booked six months in advance. I can always get an appointment 4 weeks in advance when I check out. I only get a cut and blowout and it's $60. She's a senior stylist-they have junior, senior, and master with different prices.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

And I'll be going to her two years in Nov and she has never given me her cell number.

Honored Contributor

I can understand where they are coming from because they make their money from clients showing up for appointments.  When those clients don't show, they lose that money and there is an opening they could have filled. 

There are chronic offenders who cancel an hour or less before an appointment or even a couple of hours before and they just make up a lame excuse that isn't even true most of the time.  And there are people who just don't show.  These men and women only get paid if they have a client who is paying them for a service.  

The last salon I went to had signs up that after 2 canceled appointments and/or no shows, you had to give a credit card to book your next appointment and it would be charged X amount of dollars if you failed to show up or canceled.

Unfortunately, there are rude and inconsiderate people who ruin it for everyone.    

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  Having her cell and being able to book quickly isn't the issue; the issue is that someone at some point came to the conclusion that the salon needed to implement this policy; usually it's due to people not showing up for whatever reason and therefore, the salon is losing money.

I was giving you my experience for my area; it's the norm and no one is losing business because of it.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like that at all.

If I was going to that salon, I think I'd have to consider finding a different place. They better be able to get people in right on time for their appointments if they are gonna have this type of an attitude. I think people are just full of themselves.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard about hair salons!!!

I'd find another salon PRONTO! And don't assume they will make exceptions for emergencies. IF you stay with them, and I can't imagine why you would, get something IN WRITING!!

But I would never darken their door again and I'd send them a letter or email telling them exactly why. But hey, that's just me.

Honored Contributor

@happycat I'm waiting to see if I get taken on time today. I was called before my appointment last month, about 30 min before, and asked to arrive later because the stylist was running late. I couldn't take the call but I went along with it. This has happened 3 or 4 times.

One time a few months back no call, and I waited 45 minutes past my time for my stylist to finish a color. Never should have done that of course, but I really needed to get it cut that day. I lowered my appointment rating on the Flok app and the owner asked me why. I told her and she said she would speak to the stylist.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21  That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard about hair salons!!!

I'd find another salon PRONTO! And don't assume they will make exceptions for emergencies. IF you stay with them, and I can't imagine why you would, get something IN WRITING!!

But I would never darken their door again and I'd send them a letter or email telling them exactly why. But hey, that's just me.

But then my problem is finding a salon in a convenient location that doesn't have this policy. And they might implement it in the future anyway. My only other option is to contact the woman who used to cut my Mom's hair at home. Right now that's just way too emotional for me for reasons I don't want to get into...but maybe in the future. She's a good stylist and a nice person.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@happycat I'm waiting to see if I get taken on time today. I was called before my appointment last month, about 30 min before, and asked to arrive later because the stylist was running late. I couldn't take the call but I went along with it. This has happened 3 or 4 times.

One time a few months back no call, and I waited 45 minutes past my time for my stylist to finish a color. Never should have done that of course, but I really needed to get it cut that day. I lowered my appointment rating on the Flok app and the owner asked me why. I told her and she said she would speak to the stylist.

I hope these people realize that your life doesn't revolve around that salon and getting your hair done. Even though I don't have a job outside the home, my time is important to me. And I know lots of people are a lot busier than I am.

This business of them calling you the day of apt, wanting you to come in later, makes me feel like they don't value your time very much, just my thoughts.

Our time is just as valuable as anyone elses.

Trusted Contributor

The first time I would be penalized would be the last time.  I’ve  changed appt within 2 days maybe twice in 20 years.  Loyalty has to go both ways and a loyal customer is worth an occasional inconvenience.

That being said,  a habitual offender should be given a warning and then a penalty or removed as a customer.