Honored Contributor

Re: Non Refundable Deposit At Hair Salon

There are way too many stylists out there wanting to increase their client list.  They would be happy to put you in their chair.  Move on and keep your $$ even if it is only a bad cold and not an emergency that keeps you at home instead of a hair appt.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

All my physicians have a policy like that and have never enforced it.  I signed a piece of paper with a credit card number.  An Instagram post does not entitle them to take your money.  My sense is if they require a rcredit card deposit to hold the appointment, as long as you reschedule, theykll just apply the deposit to new appointment.  But quite frankly if you are a good long-standing customer, and they ask for this to schedule an appointment and have never asked before, unless you are really attached to your hairdresser, I would be looking for other options.  In my hair salon, if I’m late, they may just take another customer, and make me wait until they can fit me.  Rescheduling is no problem.  Lots of hair salons in my neighborhood, but I really like my stylist, she’s very nice to me.

i used to go to a hair salon that would call often to ask that I change my appointment to fit the convenience of the stylist.  I stopped going there.

Esteemed Contributor

Not good for business IMO.   Most hairstylists rent their space and don't have the overhead expenses like the owner does and on the other hand the owner makes money off the rented space!  Working on appointments is a tough thing today, I agree, however that is why most salons accept walk ins to help offset downtime.  As far as physicians charging for broken appointments I don't feel you can really compare their overhead expenses to a salon.  

Honored Contributor

It seems the most common reason most are running late is the person who shows up late or keeps texting or talking on their phone which delays the start of the appointment or the person who comes in for just a basic trim and then wants a change in hairstyle so spends time looking at style books.  Then there is the person who comes in and wants her nails done also or an eyebrow wax or a more complicated hair color with highlights and lowlights when they just scheduled for a root touchup.  

Honored Contributor

That's a deposit I'd lose just once!   I'm a bread and butter client -  I show up every 3-4 weeks without fail, making those appointments at least a month in advance and sometimes 2, 3, or 4 months ahead.  So I'd expect my upfront payment to be deducted from my service bill.

If I had a last-minute chance to have lunch with the queen or to meet Billy Joel, I'd expect my stylist to waive the charge and if that didn't happen, I'd be sad, but I'd be gone.  

Honored Contributor

I've been in medical exam rooms where a policy is posted- cancel or no show x number of times and you are dismissed as a patient. This penalizes the multiple offenders and not everyone. 

And yes I don't know why this salon can't try taking walk ins. It's in a busy center of town and surrounded by other businesses, not in the middle of nowhere. Also surrounded by walkable residential areas. Some salons consider taking walk ins to be less "prestigious" perhaps? This salon is always advertising last minute openings on Instagram, they must fill slots with that too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

If I had a personal-care business, I would incorporate

a ‘2 times & you’re out’ rule.

Cancellation #1:

“Let’s reschedule”

Cancellation #2:

”This isn’t working....maybe Great Clips will cut your hair. Bye”

The whole ‘cancellation charge’ is all puff & blow.

If they don’t have your credit card...how do they charge?

In fact, a cancellation charge kinda/sorta cheapens the

integrity of the salon. I understand why businesses have this 

verbiage in a contract or if you use a credit card to lock a time

for a service but just for a haircut?  No.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Still posted the same way, in story section. Existing clients have to pay the non refundable deposit in order to book their next appointment every time they cancel or no show outside the 48 hour window. New clients pay it to book every appointment.

later gator on that one 

easy to post a comment on their IG or twitter if one wanted to get down and dirty, but personally I would just go somewhere else 

If a business has so much problem keep their customers perhaps look at the business model,  

Respected Contributor

The whole ‘cancellation charge’ is all puff & blow.

If they don’t have your credit card...how do they charge?

In fact, a cancellation charge kinda/sorta cheapens the

integrity of the salon. I understand why businesses have this 

verbiage in a contract or if you use a credit card to lock a time

for a service but just for a haircut?  No.

I have been to high end spas (some famous) that when you book your package they take your credit card, no cc - no appt. 

If you show up X mins late you lose your appt and you still pay full charge.  Cancel an appt within X days - full charge to your cc.  They are VERY clear when you make your appt.

For a hair appointment- no way 

Super Contributor

My salon has had this policy for years, but it is 24 hour cancellation notice.  My massage center does this as well.  I can understand it - no shows, and late cancellations cause them business.  Many times I have been in the salon when there is a no show, and the stylist will say - "darn, and I had another customer who wanted to come in today".....