Honored Contributor

Non Refundable Deposit At Hair Salon

I found out yesterday on Instagram (story not post) that my hair salon is going to charge existing clients a non refundable deposit for cancellations within 48 hours. New clients will be charged a non refundable deposit for every appointment no matter when they cancel.  There was even what I considered a sarcastic comment about beach days. 

I assume they will be flexible for something like a death in the family or a hospitalization or other such circumstances , maybe not. People do get legitimately sick within that 48 hour time frame. They want sick people going to appointments? My previous stylist always complained about that, because she would often then get sick.

They say these cancellations hurt their business,  and obviously they do. But so can a policy like this. Treating all clients like they are dishonest. In almost two years of going there I have never once cancelled, even when my Mother was in hospice.

I have however had last minute calls from them asking me if I can come in later, that she's running late. And a call asking me if I can change the day of my appointment because she had a child care issue. All of which I agreed to.

I've also had long wait times that I complained about because she was running late. There's a new salon opening about a 20 min walk away, don't know when but it might be time for a change.

Does anyone else have a salon with this policy?

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Non Refundable Deposit At Hair Salon

I'd find another salon.   

Honored Contributor

i would say let them do that,  and see what happens

as for you,  it does say new clients so you probably won't be lumped in, but certainly as a potential client it would not make me want to go there,

Respected Contributor

I always cancel my appointments if something comes up but a policy like that would really make me mad.  Who do they think they are?  The girl  I had been going to,  went out on her own and rented a small booth.  Now she has all these expenses she did not have.  She told me last time after she gave a hurried bad haircut that she would have to charge me extra if I did not pay cash because the charge card company charges her.  Sorry but that is the price of doing business....not my problem.  I would not mind at all paying in cash to help her out but she could have just asked me nicely and not given me a haircut that I had to go home and straighten out..  I have been to all prices of hair salons and now I go to Great clips.  I have gotten 3 good cuts in a row and two of them only paid 7.99 which gives me room to tip really really well. 

Honored Contributor

Well I'm also going there today, so I think it's time to talk to my stylist about this. She has no control over the policy obviously, but I can make my opinion known. I have talked to the owner on the phone in the past about something and she did seem reasonable about that.

On the flip side where was my discount for the accommodations I've made with them? Hmmm...As far as a new salon I just wonder if this policy will become prevalent at salons.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Well I'm also going there today, so I think it's time to talk to my stylist about this. She has no control over the policy obviously, but I can make my opinion known. I have talked to the owner on the phone in the past about something and she did seem reasonable about that.

On the flip side where was my discount for the accommodations I've made with them? Hmmm...As far as a new salon I just wonder if this policy will become prevalent at salons.

@Greeneyedlady21 

That was my first thought, I wondered if they gave you a discount for every time they rescheduled or cancelled your appt.?

Apparently not.....Smiley Sad

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I always cancel my appointments if something comes up but a policy like that would really make me mad.  Who do they think they are?  The girl  I had been going to,  went out on her own and rented a small booth.  Now she has all these expenses she did not have.  She told me last time after she gave a hurried bad haircut that she would have to charge me extra if I did not pay cash because the charge card company charges her.  Sorry but that is the price of doing business....not my problem.  I would not mind at all paying in cash to help her out but she could have just asked me nicely and not given me a haircut that I had to go home and straighten out..  I have been to all prices of hair salons and now I go to Great clips.  I have gotten 3 good cuts in a row and two of them only paid 7.99 which gives me room to tip really really well. 

naive . just add the cost of the credit card company to the price of the haircut.  and don't say anything . bolding my agree 

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21    you said it was for new clients, but I would straighten that one out , 

hair salons are on every corner where I live and happy to have the business,   I recently switched my stylist as well

last few cuts ---I got the impression she just wasn't 100% invested in her client (not going to say me) she is very talented though

wonder if there is a burnout issue in this business 

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve never heard of anything like this.  If this salon has a problem with some clients breaking appointments, they should deal with them personally.  This certainly doesn’t seem like a wise business decision.  

Valued Contributor

MAYBE use a policy like this for frequent abusers, but, everyone has something come up every now and then.  I've been going to the same salon every 6 weeks over 10 years, and I've missed maybe 3 appointments.  If they came up with a policy like this, I'd look for a new salon.