Respected Contributor

Re: Non Refundable Deposit At Hair Salon

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I have however had last minute calls from them asking me if I can come in later, that she's running late. And a call asking me if I can change the day of my appointment because she had a child care issue. All of which I agreed to.

I've also had long wait times that I complained about because she was running late. There's a new salon opening about a 20 min walk away, don't know when but it might be time for a change.

Does anyone else have a salon with this policy?

Lol, I would ask the salon what compensation they give the clients for inconveniencing them and abusing their time.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2   That's great! Like I said, in my area, the standard is not to. There is a DevaCut salon near me (I've been there) and as you walk in, a lovely little sign (it really is a lovely sign; very artsy) states tips can not be placed on CC's and sorry for the inconvenience. They're busy, so again, it hasn't slowed business.

When it's the norm in your area, you go with the flow and don't question it. You adapt if you want that service from that salon. Salons shop other salons; they know what their competitor is doing, lol.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear I agree with you that it could be loss of clients and money. Salon is not as busy as when I first started going there. And when I rated my appointment on the app an offer popped up for 15% off services for new clients.

My next appointment is on a Saturday so I'll see how busy it is then. 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

There are times that I have been at my salon and they stylists are waiting for a client who ends up being a no show. My salon has not iplemented this policy but that's extremely rude to be a no show.. I know my dog groomer has a sign that if you are more than 10 minutes late without calling to alert her of being late, that your appointment will be canceled. For repeat offenders, she will no longer schedule them. 

of course it's rude and ill-mannered not to cancel,  and I would venture to say that the majority of people have a cell where they can call and cancel the morning of, hour before etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

My dentist did this to me.  Not a deposit, but charged me $50 for cancelling the day of. I woke up sick with a cold and could not breathe through my nose, so there was no way to get through a cleaning like that.  I also didn't want to spread my germs.  Well they chased me down relentlessly for the $50 fee, even though I explained my situation and told them there was no way I could have gone through a cleaning.  They just did not care one bit and even sent it to collection because I kept ignoring it, thinking they'd give up.  I finally had to pay it. Their logic for charging me was "the hygienist had already shown up". I was like, am I the only patient you have that day????  Anyway, I still go there because my hygienist is the most beloved, gently woman who's ever worked on my teeth and I can't be without her. I learned my lesson and will never make that mistake again,  I'll just show up sick next time!  For hair, I used to book online at an upscale place that required a credit card and they always warned of the cancellation fee but never charged it if I called to reschedule, not canel, which I did several times.  

I call BS on that,  the hygienist just came in to see you????

but sometimes you need to go with the flow,

I think sending you to collections though is beyond,  that's for the really bad apples, 

Honored Contributor

You think you are a "good customer" until something like this happens.  There should be exceptions to all rules.  Charging extra for credit cards is against the law in Michigan.