Super Contributor

Re: No wonder print magazines are dying

I used to love getting Vogue, but dropped my subscription when  they began to sell more than fashion and style. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer to download the few mags I enjoy---but will prob stop them too. 3/4 of the content is ads----pages and pages of ads. And not going to store them and don't  want to add to the already overload of recycling----and I still use the library that has all of them too. 

Honored Contributor

I subscribe to many fashion and home magazines. When I look at them I always say that I'm so glad I don't pay for these! I don't pay for any of my 2 year subscriptions to my magazines. I look for free deals and there are a lot of them out there ladies! I like flipping through magazines when we are traveling in the car. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I stopped reading magazines several years ago. I now just read articles online. Many of these magazines just don't gel with my lifestyle and my buying tendencies. And they also gush over certain celebrities that don't appeal to me, especially reality show stars and those who got famous just for being friends with other famous people. 

And yes, the beauty industry really courts influencers, especially the top tier ones who make millions of dollars a year and have millions of online followers. However, if these companies are paying influencers to rave about a product, the review could not be honest and trustworthy.  There's a lot of shady beauty YouTubers who just want constant attention and don't care how they act, and/or or fail to disclose if they are being paid to promote. There are some who do post honest reviews, especially ones who don't get PR or have a much smaller following, so I tend to stick with their opinions. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve discontinued many of my magazines and don’t read those online. Many of the ones I gave up, I have outgrown...besides beauty and fashion, when they start having dating advice and articles on birth control, I know it’s time. 

I’ve kept a few fashion magazines just because I enjoy the photography. The fashions are too far out and expensive. The models are 16 and I can’t relate. My wardrobe doesn’t reflect what’s “in” for September and “out” the next season...style and colors. 

Respected Contributor

I like magazines but dont read any at all now. Sometimes I would get a few from the library but they stopped having but a few. None that I like now.

I stopped getting subscriptions a few years ago. I look at their websites.

The last time I had magazines they were so full of ads!

I dont want to pay for a ton of ads.

Honored Contributor

I love the cosmetic ads, its the quickest way to find out what the new products and colors are.  And as far as "influencers" go, gag me with a spoon.  What a bunch of phony fake dreck.  It saddens me that people can make that much money spreading falsehoods.  

Trusted Contributor

ID2 Wrote:

I subscribe to many fashion and home magazines. When I look at them I always say that I'm so glad I don't pay for these! I don't pay for any of my 2 year subscriptions to my magazines. I look for free deals and there are a lot of them out there ladies! I like flipping through magazines when we are traveling in the car. 

ID2, don't leave us hanging.....please share with all of us how you "don't pay for any of your 2 year subscriptions to magazines"?   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still get a few magazines in the mail that I enjoy but lately I have been getting some every month that I never signed up for. I don't understand where they are coming from and tried to cancel but they still send them to me. Now that is a waste of their money. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same thing with cosmetic company's contests and give-aways. Remember Allure magazine's Free Stuff? They stopped those and gave all of their products to the social media influencers instead.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004