Esteemed Contributor

No wonder print magazines are dying

I've looked through various September issues of fashion and beauty magazines and there's very few beauty ads in quite a few of them. Never mind the other months when you may not see even one ad from Estee Lauder, Revlon or Covergirl. Beauty companies advertising dollars aren't going to print magazines anymore and that means a big revenue loss for those magazines.

I recently read an article on Ad Week's website that sheds light on the topic. Estee Lauder is spending most of their ad budget on social media influencer marketing. That would explain why I see some beauty influencers get PR which includes every new foundation launch and matching color cosmetics. To me the irony is that a lot of that stuff ends up not being used or only shows up in a declutter video. I recall seeing one young influencer declutter 17 or more Clinique lipsticks she got in PR having never opened or swatched them (at least they were going to be donated to a women's shelter).

I do watch youtubers of various ages do foundation reviews and try various Estee Lauder brands of makeup but most of the women I watch are smaller influencers with subscriber counts less than 100,000 and some do get PR and some don't.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/75-of-estee-lauders-marketing-budget-is-going-to-influencers/

75% of Estée Lauder’s Marketing Budget Is Going to Digital—and Influencers

Honored Contributor

Re: No wonder print magazines are dying

Wow!  Thanks.  It would be great if clothing brands would do a variety of ads to show what's available and style each shot different.

I was very disappointed when my Bazaar (THE big fashion issue) came and the usual 5-6 pages of all items in a designer's runway show had been photographed, even though they were slightly less than an inch wise and two inches long.  I could easily see the trends among 15+ top designers.

Honored Contributor

Social media has killed the magazine stands...sign of the times.

Honored Contributor

i still get magazines...... andi get lots of them.......beauty, fashion, home, political, news, travel, nostalgia, tv, etc.....

i enjoy them in my off time or while i am at the beach or pool.

they are so very inexpensive now that i dont mind paying a few dollars for them.

they can then be shared with others at work.

just today i paid $8 for THREE subscriptions for ELLE magazine....one for myself and i got to give two subscriptions to others.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

At one time I was probably subscribing to about 15 magazines. Over the years almost all of them went out of business. I stopped subscribing to the few that were left because they became extremely thin in content. (Never mind the tons of ads!) 

I have only one magazine that I still subscribe to.

I know I'm a dinosaur but I still prefer a paper magazine that I can hold and read. I miss the days of going into the market or the bookstore and flipping through all the many magazines. The offerings these days are pretty slim compared to just a few years ago. 

Respected Contributor

i have subscribed to Texture and now Apple news for $9.99 a month for a few years now , you get all the major magazines and i don't have the crazy buildup of magazines. i still prefer the hard copy but , it makes me sad all of the magazines going out of business.

Respected Contributor

I have dropped my subscription to Vogue and am close to all the other beauty magazines.  I may keep New Beauty.

The reason is they are vehicles now for political opinion and social justice, best as I can describe it.

I am well versed in politics and news issues.  I do not subscribe to Allure, InStyle, etic. to get opinions on that.  They even steer beauty issues that way in some areas.  In Vogue, I don't like to look at ads where I don't know if the clothing or makeup is being worn by men.

I prefer magazines in print, so I don't know if my issues resonate with others who read them.  When they come up for renewal, I just won't renew.  Some magazines don't give an email address to contact them to express an opinion.  One of my favorites was Allure, and I have combed the info section for one.  I don't use Twitter, so I can't give feedback.

I used to read them cover to cover.  From the time I was a teen, I wore them out looking at them!  So, good bye beauty magazines.

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

I subscribe to cooking magazines, HGTV, and some travek magazines. I look for seasonal issues too. My favourite, Coastal Living, went quarterly so at least they're still around. I have read digital versions, and I prefer a paper one too. I can read them anywhere and cut out recipes and such.

Honored Contributor

Like a lot of you, I prefer print and still subscribe to a few.

I was a charter subscriber to Allure. I cancelled it when they REPLACED Linda Wells!

These beauty "influencers" are all over the place and have a lot of power within the beauty industry. It amazes me that a young girl, with no training, can go on YouTube from her bedroom and end up making money and getting free makeup! 

Esteemed Contributor

@lmt-- you're not alone.  I will only read paper magazines and books that I can hold in my hands.   My favorite magazines have either been discontinued or are a shadow of what they used to be.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt