Respected Contributor

No more gray but ??

[ Edited ]

I had a previous post where I wanted to transition & grow out my salt & pepper new growth which has grown 3" since the beginning  of Jan. After a lot of thought, I have decided its not right for me at this point. I do want a bit lighter shade { my natural hair is a light black} so its not so stark but a shade that will blend well. After doing some research, the brand that seems right for me is Revlon Color Silk 3D. I won't be going to a beauty salon for quite some time. I don't want the shade DK.Brown as many say it turns out black. My question is can I mix the med. Brown with the Dk. Brown to get a slight lighter shade? If So, Should I mix 3/4 med. brown & less of the dark brown or half & half? @ CARMIE & others please chime in if you have mixed shades of box colors. I have not bought anything as of now. Since I just moved out of state, I only had one appt. with a new hairdresser & don't have her #.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kabella Please be aware that level 3 (3D) is going to be VERY dark.  I used level 5 once upon a time and it was close to black.  You can mix colors, but you really should know what you are doing.  Also, your roots may be more resistant to taking color than than the rest of your hair.  That may take darker.   I  wouldn't apply color to my whole head at once.  I would do the roots first and then comb through the rest for  the last 5 minutes or so.  This has been my experience.  Too bad you didn't care for the salt and pepper new growth.  It would have been so easy and you have such a great start.  Everyone has to make that choice for themselves.  Good luck with your project.  I hope that @Carmie chimes in for a more professional point of view.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Kabella would you consider buying hair color from madison reed or esalon? Look at their websites. They will answer all your questions.

Honored Contributor

I have been using Colorsilk for 23 years. Shades can be mixed, but keep in mind the dark colors are far more dominant that the light, so if you mix a very dark shade with  a lighter one, the darker one will just about take over. Revlon always had an 800 CS number for Colorsilk, see if you can find it on their website, they helped me many times.  I use Dark Auburn #31

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs  Thankyou for the advice. My husband bought me 2 med.Browns. I will do a patch test to see if it blends well enough. I know it will be lighter but it might work & if it doesn't then I will let it grow out until I decide its the right time to go to a salon. Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@Janey2  Yes, I have looked into Reed & esalon.They are very informative. I would consider. Thankyou!

Respected Contributor

@ I did call the toll free #. I will not be mixing med. brown & Dk. Brown, as you said the Dk. takes over. I have now 2 boxes of med. brown I will test a patch thats why I got 2 boxes. If it blends ok with my blackish dk brow hair then I will just do the new growth. I decided on that brand because it has no amonia & contains keratin. It will be a long time before I go to a salon. Thankyou! crossing my fingers, it will look ok, if not I will just let it grow out. I am not going anywhere. 

Respected Contributor

I bought 2 boxes of Revlon Color Silk 3D (without amonia) I patch tested the Med. Brown which turned out much too light & pulled red on my Darkest Brown/ Black Hair. I tested the Dark Brown & loved the shade. It was a just a half shade lighter than my natural color. Well I did it last week & it covered the gray. The color lightened a bit when I washed my hair but still blends well enough. I have to say the brand is not drying at all & the color does not look flat. I was impressed & will continue to use as I will not be going to my stylist for quite sometime. I missed a few grays but overall did a good job! Thank You for all your advice. Oh, I called the toll free # & was told to leave in on 30 min. instead of 20 & was told if I left it on longer it would be too dark.  

Honored Contributor

@Kabella  When I colored my hair at the salon I used permanent at one point but eventually switched to a non ammonia formula.  When I colored my hair at home, I used Natural Instincts by Clairol.  Your gray grows in at the same rate whether you use permanent or a non ammonia hair color.  The non ammonia hair color is so much better for your hair without actually changing the color.  I stopped coloring my hair years ago but it is healthy and silky.  Also, the non ammonia color covered the gray just as good as the permanent.  I thought I would share my experience with color.  Good luck, Kabella.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Thank You @Katcat1  for your input. Its true that the hair grows the same with any color. My problem is that my hair grows too fast (which most women use  products to help grow their hair) & I won't put color in my hair every few wks. Every 6 wks even tho I have alot of gray growth. I do wear it differently at about the 4th wk.