Respected Contributor

Re: No blow drying,Chaz is telling the truth,gals !!!

@SurferWife You are so lucky to still have your genius hairdresser!  I lost mine in high school.  I, too, use Wen (the rice formulas) and rely on that and a good cut to carry the day.  My hairdresser does a good job, but neither she nor anyone since has measured up to that one hairdresser named Stu so long ago.  I had my hair cut up and down Newbury Street for another 20 years but never had such a great cut.  Whenever I find a hairdresser I like, I give her/him my address so that I will know if he/she changes salons.  That is crucial.  I lost track of my hairdresser for a few months a few years ago, but she did let me know where she was within a couple of months.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I have to blow dry.  Believe me.  My hair takes at least 4 hours to dry.  I have coarse thick hair that soaks up water like a sponge.  I do let it dry naturally if I am not going out.  It dries with cowlicks (sp?) all over.  The cowlicks are very hard to flat iron out (more damage).  When I blow dry, I can get most of the cowlicks out with less ironing.

Washing my hair at night is not an option.  It would still be damp when I went to bed and I'd wake up with a stiff neck. I also would wake with really bad bed head.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not use WEN  and I do have to blow dry my hair - it is very baby fine and poker straight. If I don't wash it daily and blow it dry it has NO BODY on it's own. However, because my hair is so light and I wear it short so it dries in less than 30 sec so I don't think that small amount of heat damages it. Where we live it is very humid so if I tried to let it air dry it would be damp all day. It's very nice that the OP found she has curls when she leaves her hair to air dry!

Respected Contributor

I blow dry my hair, it's the difference between looking like a frizz ball or a well kept head. I don't need Chaz Dean's advice on anything thank you!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Frequent Contributor

9 times out of 10, it's obvious when a woman lets here hair air dry.  IMO , it looks terrible.    Very few people can wear a wash and go hairstyle successfully.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have kinky curly hair.  It dries fast, but in order to blow it into any kind of style, or straighten, the dryer has to be on a dangerously high heat.  I own a nice hairdryer, flat iron and styling brush, but rarely use them.  I have come to like my hair in it's natural state and usually reserve straightening with the dryer to my hairdresser.  Of my tools the Calista brush is the one I reach for the most.  The heat from the brush does loosen the curls, and because the aim is just to loosen I can use a low heat setting.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I have to blow mine dry. If not, my hair is flat flat flat.

I have to second this!  My hair is thin, fine, and poker straight.  If left to dry on its own, it looks like that baby fine hair on a 6 month old.  It takes a blow dryer to put some lift and curve into my hair. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sabear wrote:

9 times out of 10, it's obvious when a woman lets here hair air dry.  IMO , it looks terrible.    Very few people can wear a wash and go hairstyle successfully.

@Sabear

ITA ...  It definitely depends on not only the type of hair, but also the chosen hairstyle.  Volume doesn't just happen by itself, and I wouldn't be caught dead with a bunch of air dried curls.   At some point, they become stringy ... not an attractive look!

Honored Contributor

I have naturally very curly and frizzy hair. Most of my life I fought it by blow-drying an/or chemical straightening and usually keeping it very short.

About three years ago, I just had had enough of that. I started letting my hair grow with the help of a very talented stylist who understands my hair. I started air-drying it using very good styling products. Now that it's shoulder length, I will blow-dry on low with a diffuser for just a little bit in order to help speed up the drying process.

I would never go back to trying to make my hair something it just isn't.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland