Honored Contributor

Re: No SPF better than chemical SPF? Josie Maran

On 6/29/2014 fezmydoodle said:
On 6/29/2014 happy housewife said:

Sunscreens contain carcinogens, I'm confident her doctor did tell her not too use them indiscriminately. They also block you from getting the small doses of sun that are needed daily to get certain nutrients. Like anything else - they should be used in moderation and appropriately. You don't need sunscreen to walk outside for 5 min to get the mail or to walk from your car to the grocery store. Dermatologist are no longer telling people to slather on tons of it every day - the results in no exposure to the sun at all like really low vit D levels are showing up and are alarming.

About the Vit D...our pediatrician recommended Vit D supplements years ago because of this.

Vit D supplements are not the same as natural vit D - they are a poor substitute. And what about the fact that sunscreens get absorbed into the skin and are CARCINOGENIC? Even in Florida dermatologists are getting away from telling people to use so much sunscreen - it is for use if you are going to have sun exposure but is not necessary for every few min in the sun. Sure - if your child is going out to play - sunscreen, but if you are just walking from the parking lot to the store it is certainly not needed. Also, when you pout sunscreen on , say to go swimming, when you come home you should shower and get it off.

Super Contributor

On 6/29/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

Anyone can go without sunscreen. I understand the only harm is getting wrinkles/freckles. As far as skin cancer, using chemical sunscreen can cause that.

Oh, Lord. Take a look at my melanoma scar and tell me anybody can go without sunscreen. I would have been happy with just the wrinkles and freckles.

I think you need to educate yourself before making inane statements like this.

Super Contributor

On 6/29/2014 fezmydoodle said:

Sunscreens contain carcinogens, I'm confident her doctor did tell her not too use them indiscriminately. They also block you from getting the small doses of sun that are needed daily to get certain nutrients. Like anything else - they should be used in moderation and appropriately. You don't need sunscreen to walk outside for 5 min to get the mail or to walk from your car to the grocery store. Dermatologist are no longer telling people to slather on tons of it every day - the results in no exposure to the sun at all like really low vit D levels are showing up and are alarming.

About the Vit D...our pediatrician recommended Vit D supplements years ago because of this.

Vit D supplements are not the same as natural vit D - they are a poor substitute. And what about the fact that sunscreens get absorbed into the skin and are CARCINOGENIC? Even in Florida dermatologists are getting away from telling people to use so much sunscreen - it is for use if you are going to have sun exposure but is not necessary for every few min in the sun. Sure - if your child is going out to play - sunscreen, but if you are just walking from the parking lot to the store it is certainly not needed. Also, when you pout sunscreen on , say to go swimming, when you come home you should shower and get it off.

It's cumulative, HH. Every 5 minutes is put in the bank and added to with the next 5 minutes.

I'm glad that they're doing more research into the potential hazards of chemical sunscreens and hope that sinks into our consciousness. I've been rabidly touting zinc for years, which is classified by the FDA as GRAS.

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 Moon River said:

I have heard her story about finding a gorgeous woman and asking what do you do to your face over and over again too. But, one day as Josie was saying this about this "woman" she slipped and said this model umm and then talked fast to get away from it. So I thought Hmmm, so it wasn't a random woman but a pretty model to begin with.

she met a woman on a modeling shoot in the south of France. Of course it was another model!I'm not sure what difference that makes she was still 70 years old, supposedly, and looked like she was in her 40's
Esteemed Contributor

I never wear sunscreen.I am very fair,natural blonde.I never wore it in my life and when young I sat in sun for hours just like everyone else. I'm 77 ,with no wrinkles and beautiful skin..Only skin care is JM Argan oil. {lucky I guess)

Actually I have always avoided sunscreen . I will not buy or use anything it if it has sunscreen in it. No real reason,I just do not think it is nessary.

Not that it influences me any, but Drs say the use of sunscreen had made many people laking in Vit.D I think it is. Whatever vitamin the sun gives us.

I think it funny that women worry about sunscreen but then go ahead and use Retinol. have lazar treatments , grind, sand , fill and inject all foreign things into their skin to be beautiful and don't worry about those things causing cancer,yet a little sunshine is deadly in their minds. (Snake venom and silicone included).

Super Contributor

On 6/29/2014 pitdakota said:

This is a timely subject for me. I just attended a "Grand Rounds" at a major research university hospital last month. The patient was a young male diagnosed with malignant melanoma that had metastasized to the spine by the time of discovery. Prognosis: poor.

There was a panel discussion after the grand rounds which included research dermatologists and oncologists. But the majority of the discussion centered around prevention.

The derms all agreed that it is a fallacy that sunscreen completely prohibits the synthesis of vit. D by the body. The question has always been how much it may impact, but that sunscreen does not in and of itself does not totally prevent synthesis of Vit D from sun exposure. They cited a study done in Spain which documented that individuals wearing sunscreen did synthesize vit D. Can't remember if the SPF in that study was 15 or 30. They did state that further research is being conducted.

Other major points: Vit D deficiency is not as common as skin cancer in this country. Vit D deficiency is rarely fatal and fairly easy to treat when diagnosed. On the other hand, malignant melanoma is not easy to treat and is terminal in many cases in the US.

Recommendations from the panel: Use sunscreen and advise patients to assign a consistent person to do mole checks, along with routine derm checks. For derms seeing patients with vit D deficiency,recommendations should depend on the seriousness of the deficiency. All agreed though that recommending sun exposure without sunscreen is not best practice.

Interesting -- thank you!

Did they discuss that the FDA ratings of sunscreen only apply to UVB protection? Granted, the majority of skin cancers come from UVB rays, but UVA has been known to cause skin cancers, too, yet the FDA makes no provision or requirement for products to inform consumers about the level of UVA protection (unlike Asia with the PA ratings, Europe with the PPA ratings, and Great Britain with some weird checkmark thing. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}).

People have to educate themselves, but sadly most don't and think the SPF rating is all they need to know. The misinformation is evidence of this.

Respected Contributor

This is a timely subject for me. I just attended a "Grand Rounds" at a major research university hospital last month. The patient was a young male diagnosed with malignant melanoma that had metastasized to the spine by the time of discovery. Prognosis: poor.

There was a panel discussion after the grand rounds which included research dermatologists and oncologists. But the majority of the discussion centered around prevention.

The derms all agreed that it is a fallacy that sunscreen completely prohibits the synthesis of vit. D by the body. The question has always been how much it may impact, but that sunscreen does not in and of itself does not totally prevent synthesis of Vit D from sun exposure. They cited a study done in Spain which documented that individuals wearing sunscreen did synthesize vit D. Can't remember if the SPF in that study was 15 or 30. They did state that further research is being conducted.

Other major points: Vit D deficiency is not as common as skin cancer in this country. Vit D deficiency is rarely fatal and fairly easy to treat when diagnosed. On the other hand, malignant melanoma is not easy to treat and is terminal in many cases in the US.

Recommendations from the panel: Use sunscreen and advise patients to assign a consistent person to do mole checks, along with routine derm checks. For derms seeing patients with vit D deficiency,recommendations should depend on the seriousness of the deficiency. All agreed though that recommending sun exposure without sunscreen is not best practice.

This bears re-posting. Thank you pitdakota for writing it.

Trusted Contributor

I used to spend a lot of time in the water, surfing and I always used zinc oxide. I wore a suit to protect my body, even on the warm days.

My doctor is an MD and a naturopath and she tries to keep up with things. She also thinks that chemical sunscreens are not good for us. She has done a lot of research. She has suggested more natural, physical sunscreen for me now. I find it doesn't irritate my eyes when I use it either like the chemical ones did.

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 BellaCarro said:

This bears re-posting. Thank you pitdakota for writing it.

pitdakota is an expert when it comes to health issues. I say that because she is very humble. I am always thrilled when she enters a thread like this that has started to devolve into ignorance. Sorry, but this topic just burns me up. Pun intended.

Okay, first of all, I like JM, but she was just trying to sell. Period.

Second, thank you "happy" housewife (a former nurse) for yet again taking this thread in a dangerous direction. And I certainly hope that the poster who said that the worst that can happen as a result of sun exposure is wrinkles was joking.

Oh, by all means, you can find contrarians ( a nicer term than I'd like to use) on the Internet who will assure you that you are better off not using sunscreen because it will CAUSE CANCER, because IT WILL KILL YOU. Facts are irrelevant to that crowd.

Most of really don't have a problem walking to our mailbox or chatting with someone for a few minutes. But that should NOT result in a tan.

If you're getting a tan, you are damaging your skin. Period. You risk premature aging (wrinkles, rough texture -- picture older folks in beach communities who spent all their time outside unprotected). And you risk various types of skin cancer that range from mild (although potentially very disfiguring) to very deadly.

I loved the sun. I sunbathed almost obsessively up through my 20s. I'm in my 60s now and am suffering from my blatant stupidity. I've had hideously painful treatments for actinic (solar) keratoses, which are precancerous.

The treatment was probably the worst medical situation I've had to endure and will not do it again, which could pose a very serious problem for me in the future. I've also had to have a biopsy on my nose, which thankfully, this time, was benign. And my medical history pales (pun again intended) in comparison to what so many have gone through.

I don't take this topic lightly. And it angers and frustrates me when people spout off dangerous misinformation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

Sunscreen from her tinted moisturizer (which I think is discontinued): Avobenzone 1.5%, Octinoxate 6.0%, Octisalate 4.5%.

Convenient statement for her to make now.