Esteemed Contributor

OK, I almost hate to admit this, but my complexion looks so smooth and glowy lately.  Is it because I haven't worn any makeup since late February?   Was it wearing a foundation daily that caused skin problems?  I haven't made any other changes in my skin routine.  

Is there anyone else who stopped wearing foundation during this time of wearing masks and then noticed an improvement in their complexion?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

It's the foundation you are wearing.  Some of these make-up lines are awful. Also with the application your brushes, tools, ect. need to be cleaned weekly. Many women also apply to much, do no clean their face properly and wear it to long.

All make-up and skin care routines are not =.

The skin does need a breather on occasion.

Frequent Contributor

All that makeup is really bad for the skin.  I don't care what the vendors or hosts say.  Yes, your skin needs to breath.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi -- f.y.i., I clean my brushes every single time I use them.  It might, or might not, be my particular foundation.  I'll have to experiment with different brands once I'm wearing foundation again.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo any change in sleep, exercise, food, time under fluorescent lights?

i don’t believe skin has to breathe (google it).  I have age issues and yo-yo dieting issues but given my nearly 8 decades, overall my skin is still better now than it was sometimes in the past. For me —. That’s a combination of a cleaning regime plus food, exercise, and way less time away from fluorescent lights

Honored Contributor

Proper diet, supplements, and water intake are key parts of skincare in addition to a consistent topical skincare routine.  I do those things in addition to not wearing makeup everyday and I am pleased with how my complexion looks. 

BTW, skin doesn’t breathe.  

Respected Contributor

I stopped wearing foundation decades ago because I didn't like the way my skin felt when I wore it. Other than the occasional breakout, my skin's been clear since my twenties. I stopped wearing makeup on a daily basis the day after I retired. Nowadays, I'll put a little lipstick on for lunch with my friends. I reserve my version of a full face of makeup for special occasions. 

I wear a cotton mask whenever I'm in a store or in close quarters outdoors. Even though my mask is cotton, the area of my face that it covers is always sweaty when I remove it. I think if I had been wearing foundation under my mask, my skin would have broken out.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  -- I have preached on this board many times about having a healthy diet, exercising, drinking lots of water, keeping a healthy weight, etc., to keep our skin healthy.  All skin, not just the face.  I believe that keeping your body healthy on the inside keeps your complexion healthy.   I have an oily, sensitive complexion that tends to break out or get little rashes here and there.  I haven't had any of those skin issues on my face in the last couple months.  Yay!

(This does not mean that once this crisis is over, I won't be wearing foundation again)

- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@tototwo 

Good morning Yes ! I have oily acne prone skin still at age 57 . I have stopped wearing foundation sometime ago . I started following Dr Dray  the young dermatalogist on Youtube . She has several videos for acne and rosacea skin as well as other conditions . One of her top tips for acne prone skin is to try and skip makeup(FOUNDATION) and especially blush ( many of the coloring agents irritate acne ) Naturally I still have skin issues(large pores old acne marks )  , but my skin is more even tone and not as irritated and red ,which has always been a HUGE issue for me . As stated in other posts nutrition , exercise also play a big part in skin health as well as proper sleep . Have a great day ladies .

Honored Contributor

I posted before that I quess I am in the minority.  I think my skin has gotten worse since the virus and not wearing makeup!  Makeup because I have less protection on it?  I thought it would be better not wearing foundation, powder, concealer, or whatever, but no!  It's more crabby than ever!  Maybe it's just imitating how I feel!  LOL!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin