Respected Contributor

Nioxin Hair Serum For Thinning Hair: Update

I started using the serum in late August. My main concern was a bald patch right at my widow’s peak.  Thankfully, that area has filled in. Still thinner there, but definitely growth.

I massage it in every night. I don’t wash my hair every day, but if I did, maybe it would work even better. I have read that some Nioxin systems require daily cleansing.

So far, I am satisfied with the results.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nioxin Hair Serum For Thinning Hair: Update

@ Montana--I am a big fan of that brand and thought it did very well for me. right now I am using the Kerinque (keratin) set that HSN had as a TS a few months ago and not sure if I see much of a change. But think I will go back to Nioxin when these products are done. My hair is thin from taking meds.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl, My thinning hair is genetic.  I inherited the thinning/balding gene from my mother!  Ironically, my father had a full head of glorious hair his entire life, with very little gray.

Early on, my hairdresser recommended a Nioxin system specifically for thinning hair. But I don’t think it helped much because do I not wash my hair every day.

The serum I am using now is no fuss and easy to apply with a nozzle attached to the bottle. I am basically lazy, so this suits me just fine.

Glad you seem to be doing well. 

Trusted Contributor

@ Montana  Glad you're having results with the Nioxin serum.  What is the name of it, or is there only one Nioxin serum?  I have the Nioxin System 4.  I've never given it a chance or used it long enough to see results.  I get lazy.  I have to say I absolutely love the shampoo in the System 4.  It makes my hair so bouncy and adds body.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did some reading about the Nioxin brand of hair products. As a person who once went bald, I was searching for a 'cure'. What I found interesting about Nioxin is their active ingredients are sunscreen chemicals. This is suppose to protect the scalp and hair from damaging UV rays, creating a healthy environment in which hair can grow. Furthermore, there is no ingredient in Nioxin that stimulates new hair growth. But what it contains is stuff that the manufacturer claims to increase the health of the scalp and provides nourishment for existing hairs, for example, like vitamins and enzymes. FYIWoman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl, Nioxin has more than one serum.  The one I am using is Nioxin Diamax Advanced treatment.

It is really so easy to target problem areas with the nozzle. And I like the syrupy consistency because it doesn’t run all over your face.

ETA: The latest bottle also has the words “3D Intensive” on it. My first bottle did not have that phrase.  I checked the ingredients and there is no change, so maybe just new packaging. 

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

@wagirl, Nioxin has more than one serum.  The one I am using is Nioxin Diamax Advanced treatment.

It is really so easy to target problem areas with the nozzle. And I like the syrupy consistency because it doesn’t run all over your face.

ETA: The latest bottle also has the words “3D Intensive” on it. My first bottle did not have that phrase.  I checked the ingredients and there is no change, so maybe just new packaging. 

I was in a trial for this Diamax Serum when it first came out, they sent me a free full size bottle to use, I used the entire thing, with no results. 

Nioxin systems must be used at least 3 times a week to be effective.

Honored Contributor

First ingredient is alcohol , and there is also peppermint in there.