Frequent Contributor
On 7/12/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 7/12/2014 BradyW said:

To those of you who are defending Minaj and her fans: seeing her briefly on HSN last night, I wouldn't ever have recognized her. She looked like a "normal" person. However, I wouldn't say she's anywhere near "normal". Her acts are all sexual to the nth degree; her clothing is obscene; her lyrics are the worst. To compare this "entertainer" (not) to The Beatles is just plain stupid!! What is wrong with you? To compare teens from back then who adored Elvis and The Beatles to those who are worshipping at the shrine of Minaj - well, there is no comparison whatsoever. This person is not a role model in any sense, and teens today shouldn't be subjected to the likes of her and Beyonce. No wonder the world is in such a mess!!

Wow, angry much?

I mentioned the Beatles, but I didn't do so in terms of comparing them to this person but as a response to a poster who said that she couldn't imagine going so crazy over a celebrity.

And what in the world is wrong with Beyonce?

Uh, no, not angry at all. Why do you have that same response to everything you don't like? Your post DID compare Beatles' fans' responses to her fans' responses. Read what you posted. Beyonce?? Are you kidding? Same exact thing. Lyrics, wardrobe (see-through most of the time), gyrations (called "dancing", I believe). NOT a role model for young (or any) females, but that goes for most "entertainers" these days! If these are the ones that are being idolized, God help us.

Honored Contributor

To those of you who are defending Minaj and her fans: seeing her briefly on HSN last night, I wouldn't ever have recognized her. She looked like a "normal" person. However, I wouldn't say she's anywhere near "normal". Her acts are all sexual to the nth degree; her clothing is obscene; her lyrics are the worst. To compare this "entertainer" (not) to The Beatles is just plain stupid!! What is wrong with you? To compare teens from back then who adored Elvis and The Beatles to those who are worshipping at the shrine of Minaj - well, there is no comparison whatsoever. This person is not a role model in any sense, and teens today shouldn't be subjected to the likes of her and Beyonce. No wonder the world is in such a mess!!

Wow, angry much?

I mentioned the Beatles, but I didn't do so in terms of comparing them to this person but as a response to a poster who said that she couldn't imagine going so crazy over a celebrity.

Uh, no, not angry at all. Why do you have that same response to everything you don't like? Your post DID compare Beatles' fans' responses to her fans' responses. Read what you posted. Beyonce?? Are you kidding? Same exact thing. Lyrics, wardrobe (see-through most of the time), gyrations (called "dancing", I believe). NOT a role model for young (or any) females, but that goes for most "entertainers" these days! If these are the ones that are being idolized, God help us.

To quote myself: "Oh, to be young again. My friends and I were Beatlemaniacs to the nth degree. We were crazy, but we had a ball. We were young teens. Life was very good."

That was what I said about the Beatles. And I stand by it.

And yes, people proclaimed the end of civilization as we know it during the Frank Sinatra era, the Elvis Presley era, and the Beatles era.

So I would relax if I were you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor
On 7/12/2014 howwhatwhen said:

I caught a bit of it. I have to admit that I had previously never heard of her. I thought she was actually rather engaging. And I might have even tried her fragrance, but the bottle was just not what I would want to put on my vanity tray. I'm sure it would be great for either a young girl or someone more brave than I. Wink Oh, and the reviews for her previous ones weren't so great.

ITA, the bottle was down right hideous. I originally saw the bottle on HSN's home page and had hoped that is was just a really bad picture but after seeing it present on air I realized the the picture was spot on, lol

Seriously. I would be afraid of it coming alive during the night. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Frequent Contributor

Honored Contributor

lolol...

Honored Contributor

Wow, angry much?

if your child is adopting any random celebrity as their role model you've got major problems
Trusted Contributor
Brazen hussies. They are doing it in the streets! They are scaring the horses! Burn them at the stake during the waxing moon. Protect our maidens from these fornikators.
Super Contributor

Wow, angry much?

I was the first poster on this thread. I compared the responses of Nicki's callers to the responses of fans of Elvis, the Beatles etc,. I was not comparing her music to theirs. The OP wondered why anyone would go crazy over a celebrity. It has to do with the fans. It's emotional. It's universal. It's timeless. There is always some celebrity [ public figure, actors, singers, athletes], that people go "crazy" over.

SuzyQ3: I didn't have Beatlemania [that word said a lot didn't it? , more like hysteria, {#emotions_dlg.w00t} lol]. I was a Rolling Stones fan. I watched news footage of Beatles concerts where girls broke down crying, or fainting & had to be carried away {#emotions_dlg.tt1}. Yes, to be young again, but I still carry that "youngness" inside.

Honored Contributor
On 7/13/2014 patheticcosmetics said:

Wow, angry much?

I was the first poster on this thread. I compared the responses of Nicki's callers to the responses of fans of Elvis, the Beatles etc,. I was not comparing her music to theirs. The OP wondered why anyone would go crazy over a celebrity. It has to do with the fans. It's emotional. It's universal. It's timeless. There is always some celebrity [ public figure, actors, singers, athletes], that people go "crazy" over.

SuzyQ3: I didn't have Beatlemania [that word said a lot didn't it? , more like hysteria, {#emotions_dlg.w00t} lol]. I was a Rolling Stones fan. I watched news footage of Beatles concerts where girls broke down crying, or fainting & had to be carried away {#emotions_dlg.tt1}. Yes, to be young again, but I still carry that "youngness" inside.

Thanks, patheticcosmetics. I guess I thought that it was sort of universal for kids, especially young teens, to become ardent fans. I mean, didn't everybody plaster their bedroom walls with pics? To this day, I can still conjure up that heart-thumping emotion.

Four of us Beatlemaniacs plotted to sneak out in the middle of the night to wait in line to get tickets to their 1964 Hollywood Bowl concert, and then we counted down the days until it arrived. Amazing memories from a time so long ago that I cherish to this day.

In our case, they weren't role models for us. We were passionately, devotedly in love with them. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor
On 7/13/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 7/13/2014 patheticcosmetics said:

Wow, angry much?

Thanks, patheticcosmetics. I guess I thought that it was sort of universal for kids, especially young teens, to become ardent fans. I mean, didn't everybody plaster their bedroom walls with pics? To this day, I can still conjure up that heart-thumping emotion.

Four of us Beatlemaniacs plotted to sneak out in the middle of the night to wait in line to get tickets to their 1964 Hollywood Bowl concert, and then we counted down the days until it arrived. Amazing memories from a time so long ago that I cherish to this day.

In our case, they weren't role models for us. We were passionately, devotedly in love with them. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Passion- exactly. Oh, that heart thumping feeling. Embrace it!!

Funny thing, to me. Didn't do the poster thing in my teens. Wasn't allowed. But as a very married woman I had a poster of Patrick Swayze in my laundry room. At the "young" age of 60, I have posters of Johnny Depp. My family thinks I"m nuts, yet they give me gifts that keep it going. I call it my vision board.

Thanks for your reply SuzyQ3. Have a great weekend.