Honored Contributor

Re: New use for micellar water

What the heck IS this? What does the word “micellar” REALLY MEAN? My spell check isn’t even sure it’s a real word?

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

What the heck IS this? What does the word “micellar” REALLY MEAN? My spell check isn’t even sure it’s a real word?

From Huffpost

According to board-certified dermatologist Hadley King of Skinney Medspa, micellar water is made up of micelles (tiny balls of cleansing oil molecules) suspended in soft water. "The idea is that micelles are attracted to dirt and oil, so they are able to draw out impurities without drying out the skin," she says. Therefore, micellar water can be used as a facial wash, makeup remover and moisturizer all in one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@violann wrote:

From Huffpost

According to board-certified dermatologist Hadley King of Skinney Medspa, micellar water is made up of micelles (tiny balls of cleansing oil molecules) suspended in soft water. "The idea is that micelles are attracted to dirt and oil, so they are able to draw out impurities without drying out the skin," she says. Therefore, micellar water can be used as a facial wash, makeup remover and moisturizer all in one.

What keeps the oil in suspension is chemicals called glycols which are not harsh or toxic but they are have been known to penetrate skin and that might not be a good thing if you consider what other substances can be drawn into the skin along with it.  Glycols can trigger allergic reactions and have been known to cause skin irriration.

Honored Contributor

Pretty much all surfactants (aka cleanser ingredients) are made of micelles. Your average gel cleanser has micelles too. Nothing new or radical about it. So micellar water is really just a way to market a new cleanser format--meaning a water cleanser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micelle

What's great about micellar water is that people don't expect it to foam up. Trying to get consumers to accept non-foaming or low-foaming cleansers has been an issue for a long time. (Foaming cleansers are not always the best for the skin.) This micellar water is sort of an intermediate step to get the general public to realize that they can clean their skin without foam. In my opinion.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx - very impressive! Thank you for the clip! May have to try this myself.

Trusted Contributor

I have really sensitive skin and most products give me a rash.  My derm recommended this for me.  No problems whatsoever :  no redness, no rash.  Does a great job in cleaning my face.  Skin feels really good after I use this.

Honored Contributor

That is almost scary that you can remove your mascara yet clean the rubber on your Sketchers.  Yuck.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

That is almost scary that you can remove your mascara yet clean the rubber on your Sketchers.  Yuck.

Do you drink Coke?  Do you know that it cleans toilet bowls, removes rust from nuts and bolts, removes corrosion from car battery terminals, kills snails and slugs?  Is that scary to you?