Honored Contributor

GE Profile is not the same as it was prior 10 years ago. The previous fridge I owned for 7 years was a GE Profile and it had a tempered glass tray across the top of the two vegetable drawers that was warped (I don't think it was glass for it to warp like that).

A friend of mine had the same GE Profile fridge and the drawer for the freezer -- the railings it rode on cracked and he had to wire it into place so at least it was somewhat functional.

Within the first month of operation one of the shelves on the door cracked and that replacement part was outrageous. The black grill at the bottom of the fridge front came off and could not be reattached (in case you wanted to clean dust bunnies below the fridge).

The metal used on the outside of the fridge was easily dingable.

I would have to say, I would not buy ANY GE Profile after this experience.

GE Profile doesn't make a single model w/o ice or water dispenser now.

I was chatting with someone who had a French door LG from HD and all they had was problems with it. Not sure what model, just in conversation while on line in a store.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

Not sure about this, hope someone can help. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have had an LG French Door refrigerator WITH/OUT the water dispenser for over 4yrs.  It is a S/S (didn't want that), floor model and cost a whopping $700.00. Best appliance purchase I made. $79.00 from HomeDepot.  Delivered the next after purchase.  tedEbear

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

GE Profile is not the same as it was prior 10 years ago. The previous fridge I owned for 7 years was a GE Profile and it had a tempered glass tray across the top of the two vegetable drawers that was warped (I don't think it was glass for it to warp like that).

A friend of mine had the same GE Profile fridge and the drawer for the freezer -- the railings it rode on cracked and he had to wire it into place so at least it was somewhat functional.

Within the first month of operation one of the shelves on the door cracked and that replacement part was outrageous. The black grill at the bottom of the fridge front came off and could not be reattached (in case you wanted to clean dust bunnies below the fridge).

The metal used on the outside of the fridge was easily dingable.

I would have to say, I would not buy ANY GE Profile after this experience.

Oh, I had forgotten about that horrid grill that I was always reattaching!

Respected Contributor

Re: New fridge help needed

[ Edited ]

I am reading all the responses (thanks so much) Heart!

DH just came in, gasp, pulled the trigger on a Frigidaire with  unwanted ice-maker that is in stock.  I can't do impulsive purchases but he can. They will call tomorrow and supposedly will set a delivery date - he is hoping Thursday night.  If they don't do as promised I will back out. I know not one of you mentioned Frigidaire and reviews aren't stellar, but I guess I will have to live with it.  They said if we hate it we can return it.

Trusted Contributor

We recently bought a whirlpool size by side at Lowes for $1,100. It works great and really keeps the food fresh much longer than our old one. I've heard great things about Samsung but expensive. Good luck 

Respected Contributor

Nrm, thanks, Whirlpool was one of the first ones we wanted to check but they are either too wide and deep for the space we have or have too small capacity.  If the Frigidaire thing falls through will look at Samsung and Whirlpool again.  I thought they were making them narrower and less deep with more interior space these days but seems just the opposite.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just went through this and so did my admin. I ended up with a side by side even though I was sure I'd either want a bottom freezer or a French door. And I thought I didn't want ice or water anymore. Wrong.

I ended up with a white Samsung with water and ice and I couldn't be more pleased. It was by far not the most expensive--in fact it was near the bottom third of prices at Lowes. I waited for one of those holiday sales like Labor Day (they always have at least 10pct off) and they did a great job.

No one wanted my old fridge (working except for ice) and they hauled it off. The new one has LED light "tower" inside so it's SO easy to see things, and the freezer has glass shelves, not the wire bins like the old one. White because my kitchen is white and if I changed one thing to steel, the rest would have to be changed and the appliances are fine.

I nixed a similar model at Home Depot--looked at where the inline filter was. It was IN THE WATER LINE, not in the fridge. Oh, can you imagine changing that filter? It was four hundred bucks cheaper but you can see why (cheap to put a filter in a water line, not inside the fridge.) 

I'm VERY happy with it. Sometimes, simple is best. 

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Desi

Its a rare thing to find a side by side w/o an ice maker or water dispenser. We went to Home Depot and ordered a Whirlpool black ice side by side. This model.

Comes in black ice, white ice and stainless steel with stainless steel handles and LED lighting inside. The black ice is smooth on the front and 'orange peel' texture on the sides and top of the refrigerator. We have owned it for about 2 weeks and love it. It keeps the frozen food frozen and the fridge stuff cold.

"It keeps the frozen food frozen and the fridge stuff cold." What an interesting review of a refrigerator/freexer.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Desi

Its a rare thing to find a side by side w/o an ice maker or water dispenser. We went to Home Depot and ordered a Whirlpool black ice side by side. This model.

Comes in black ice, white ice and stainless steel with stainless steel handles and LED lighting inside. The black ice is smooth on the front and 'orange peel' texture on the sides and top of the refrigerator. We have owned it for about 2 weeks and love it. It keeps the frozen food frozen and the fridge stuff cold.

"It keeps the frozen food frozen and the fridge stuff cold." What an interesting review of a refrigerator/freexer.

The sarcasm button here is missing.....

Seeing that the old one wasn't doing that, you want to tell people that the appliance is doing what its supposed to do.

Woman TongueSmiley TongueWoman Tongue

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼