Honored Contributor

I was recently a new (to me) product for curly hair:

Matrix biolage defining gel cream for curly hair

My hairdresser, who's black and has long soft curls without any chemical processing, recommended it so I bought it after my trim. This stuff is amazing! I like it better than the tigi product as it doesn't leave my hands slimy after I use it. It takes less than a dime size, though my hair isn't particularly thick, on my waist length hair. It defines the curls and I have no frizz whatsoever!  I use it daily after showering, while my hair is a little damp (I wash once a week) and I have no build up/no residue..

She also uses their cleansing conditioner but the price wasn't any less expensive than the Wen, which I'm happy with, so I didn't bother with that.

Incidentally she didn't 'sell' me anything she simply stated on my first visit that for my hair type I should be using a co-wash. It wasn't until I asked that she told me the brand she uses, which I really appreciated!

thought I'd share the find with my fellow curly girls Woman Happy

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Thank you! I'm always on the lookout for products that will contain my curls so will look into this one. Appreciate you taking the time to share the info!!

Honored Contributor

@nycgirl79 wrote:

Thank you! I'm always on the lookout for products that will contain my curls so will look into this one. Appreciate you taking the time to share the info!!

We have to stick together! I know how tough it is to control the mane.

FYI according to a review I read on their site it can be used successfully on dry hair too.  I haven't tried it yet so I can't really comment on it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Andreatoo. I checked out the ingredients on ULTA's site because I don't use hair products with silicones. It does have amodimethicone, which apparently does not build up on itself, so it's not as bad as many -cones.

But I did notice that it has isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). I was surprised to see that in a leave-in product because it's the type of alcohol that can be very drying to skin and hair. Hopefully, it's not a big percentage of the formula. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Thanks, Andreatoo. I checked out the ingredients on ULTA's site because I don't use hair products with silicones. It does have amodimethicone, which apparently does not build up on itself, so it's not as bad as many -cones.

But I did notice that it has isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). I was surprised to see that in a leave-in product because it's the type of alcohol that can be very drying to skin and hair. Hopefully, it's not a big percentage of the formula. 

to be completely honest I don't generally care what's in the formula going into a styling product as long as it works since hair is dead anyway...What I cleanse with is a different story.

Considering that curly is generally synonymous with dry then it would seem to be counterproductive to add a drying ingredient to a product specifically made for curly hair..Give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

to be completely honest I don't generally care what's in the formula going into a styling product as long as it works since hair is dead anyway...What I cleanse with is a different story.

Considering that curly is generally synonymous with dry then it would seem to be counterproductive to add a drying ingredient to a product specifically made for curly hair..Give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

I know, right? That's why it surprised me.

As for ingredients in leave-ins, I do, as I said, subscribe to the idea that the vast majority of silicones, because they are not water-soluble, do cause build-up. And I can really tell the difference since I've stopped using any hair products that include them.  Your product's choice of silicone, however, is fairly benign and shouldn't create build-up.

I have to say, though, that I do miss that wonderful silicone "slip."

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland