Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee I managed to track down the reseach article in case you're interested. I'l admit that I don't have the scientific background to analyse or interpret all of it. But even the info in the abstract confirms the sense of fearmongering I picked up in the blog.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jat.1786/full

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time to find that info  @juperier. I really appreciate it! Woman Happy 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee You're welcome. The ironice part is that it was a couple of clicks away starting with a link on the blog that led to another site that leans towards fearmongering, which linked to the study as a reference.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

https://blog.thebreastcancersite.com/cosmetic-parabens/?gg_source=bcs&gg_campaign=Ad%20-%20468x250ne...

The study isn't new. It was done 10+ years ago. The American Cancer Society hasn't changed their position.

"In 2004, a small study found traces of parabens in some samples of breast cancer tumors. But there are some important points about the study findings:

The researchers looked only for the presence of parabens in breast cancer samples. The study did not show that parabens caused or contributed to breast cancer development in these cases – it only showed that they were there. What this meant is not yet clear.

Although parabens have weak estrogen-like properties, the estrogens that are made in the body are hundreds to many thousands of times stronger. So, natural estrogens (or those taken as hormone replacement) are much more likely to play a role in breast cancer development.

Parabens are widely used as preservatives in shampoo, lotions, other cosmetics, and even foods. This study did not contain any information to help find the source of the parabens found in the breast tissue – it's not clear if they might have come from antiperspirants or from some other source.

Most people are exposed to parabens. In fact, studies have found some form of parabens in the urine in up to 99% of people in the US. But so far, studies have not shown any direct link between parabens and any health problems, including breast cancer. There are also many other compounds in the environment that mimic naturally produced estrogen."

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-risk.html

Honored Contributor

Re: New Study on Parabens

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Back in the old days there were cancers that killed many people. They just didn't have a name for it, much less know what it was.

Back in the old days they also didn't have many treatment options for cancer when someone did get it.

Many people died at a very young age from cancers that now are treatable. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle@Lipstickdiva@Caffeina@juperier@SilleeMee

Call me naive, but I will continue to weigh the value of using personal products with parabens vs those without.

If I am reading right, the link between bc and parabens has not been shown.

Parabens contribute to the flow of cosmetics and to the preservative properties.

I wish I knew WHICH parabens were the worst offenders: maybe the EWG site breaks this down?

My first thought about breast tissue was antiperspirant. I am fairly certain parabens will be in it.

How about those studies that show estrogenic properties of substances?  

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 Unfortunately, EWG is pretty well known for fearmongering. 

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

@LTT1 Unfortunately, EWG is pretty well known for fearmongering. 

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/113-environmental-working-group/

Contributor

Agree 40 people is a small study and we don’t know where they pulled them from. Would need more info and a large study to have conclusive evidence 

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina@juperier

Even though EWG is considered way over the top in their recommendations, I still look stuff up on their site. Very good information there and helpful for me.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~