Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, if we look for products that are paraben free, do not test on animals, all natural (certified all natural, not just “claim”), free of fragrance and/or irritants, we would have very few makeup and skincare products.

Honored Contributor

Manuela of Isomers Skin Care has always said parabens are safe but said, begrudgingly, that she would take them out since so many of her customers complained about it. I don't think she removed them from everything, tho. Couldn't they just add natural Vitamin E to everything? It's a preservative in itself.

Honored Contributor

Linda Marshall is still using parabens in her Elysee line. I do think some lines are now using Japanese Honeysuckle as a natural preservative. Others using phenoxethanol.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I'd like to know more about the credibility of those who did the actual testing and how exactly they came up with their conclusions. I would like to see the raw data. As a chemist myself, this type of research and it's findings mean very little if they don't show us their exact methodology and numbers.

@SilleeMee, I agree with what is said above.  However, as a chemist, do you stay away from parabens?  What's your opinion on parabens?

Thanks

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Unfortunately, if we look for products that are paraben free, do not test on animals, all natural (certified all natural, not just “claim”), free of fragrance and/or irritants, we would have very few makeup and skincare products.

My Skinceuticals skincare products have parabens. Dangerous type, not sure, but don’t plan to change to other brand any time soon. It was formulated at Duke University/Hospital. Doubt if they’d incorporate poison in their research. Lol 😂 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I'd like to know more about the credibility of those who did the actual testing and how exactly they came up with their conclusions. I would like to see the raw data. As a chemist myself, this type of research and it's findings mean very little if they don't show us their exact methodology and numbers.

@SilleeMee, I agree with what is said above.  However, as a chemist, do you stay away from parabens?  What's your opinion on parabens?

Thanks

@Sunshine Kate,

My opinion of the use of parabens in cosmetics is that I agree with making the cosmetics I use safe by providing a cost-effective ingredient to further enhance shelf-life by inhibiting bacterial growth. I prefer a preservative over bacteria and I believe many people can't dismiss that concept.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline Many parabens have a long history of safe use. The amount used as a preservative is minimal. Yes, there are natural ingredients that have a preservative function. But they are typically not as effective, need to be used in larger percentages and/or have a poorer safety profile than parabens. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean people won't have an adverse reaction to it. 

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

I doubt we'd have ANY products. It's likely impossible that one could come up with enough ingredients matching all those criteria to make a product. In fact, it might even be impossible to come up with a single ingredient.

Valued Contributor

It looks like this study only sampled the tissues of women with breast cancer.  If so, this is a major flaw which makes their results meaningless.  Did they test the tissues of women without breast cancer to see whether these compounds are simply absorbed by the body and not necessarily a cause of breast cancer?  This is what is called a confounding variable in scientific research.  If they only sampled the tissues of women with cancer, they are not scientists of any competence.  I'm sorry of this seems harsh, but this is the truth.

Valued Contributor

You beat me to it, @2blonde!  I heartily agree.