Honored Contributor

Re: New Paula's Choice scrub

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@TY wrote:

How interesting. I recall when Paula first came out with her books years ago that she liked baking soda scrubs and hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the skin if you were dealing with acne.

So I recently bought the Biore baking soda scrub and it's fine except for the scent which I don't like at all. So I dumped out the product into the toilet and washed out the bottle as I like the way the product is dispensed since I use it in the shower and don't want the contents of the bottle to get wet. I've refilled the bottle with actual Arm & Hammer baking soda since it's unscented and I'm using it in the shower.

I use BHAs and AHAs but I also like a physical scrub to get rid of the dead skin on my face and body.

@TY- I have never been a big follower of PB.  I tried a couple of her products way back when but didn't think they were anything overly special.  Her advice about using baking soda is very disappointing and I would caution you to reconsidering using it.  It will upset the acid mantle (protective barrier) of your skin.  Continued use results in more damage.  

@JeanLouiseFinch& @TY, I'm almost positive that she long ago anounced that she had been wrong about this recommendation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@TY wrote:

How interesting. I recall when Paula first came out with her books years ago that she liked baking soda scrubs and hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the skin if you were dealing with acne.

So I recently bought the Biore baking soda scrub and it's fine except for the scent which I don't like at all. So I dumped out the product into the toilet and washed out the bottle as I like the way the product is dispensed since I use it in the shower and don't want the contents of the bottle to get wet. I've refilled the bottle with actual Arm & Hammer baking soda since it's unscented and I'm using it in the shower.

I use BHAs and AHAs but I also like a physical scrub to get rid of the dead skin on my face and body.

@TY- I have never been a big follower of PB.  I tried a couple of her products way back when but didn't think they were anything overly special.  Her advice about using baking soda is very disappointing and I would caution you to reconsidering using it.  It will upset the acid mantle (protective barrier) of your skin.  Continued use results in more damage.  

@TY, @JeanLouiseFinch is absolutely right. Baking soda is alkaline. The surface of the skin is and should remain slightly acidic. Using an alkaline substance is bad for your skin. (pH ranges from highly acidic like battery acid to highly alkaline like bleach. water is neutral. the skin should be slightly acidic.)

"...A study on skin products found that using an alkaline cleanser, even once, can do damage to the skin (Dermatology). An alkaline cleanser disrupts the skin’s acid mantle (affecting the skin barrier), and changes the bacterial flora composition on the skin and the activity of the enzymes in the upper layers of skin, as these have an optimal pH level. And the damage is cumulative: The longer you use it, the more damage it does to your skin.

So, with baking soda and water, you’re already disrupting the acid mantle, but you’re also manually exfoliating, making it even more damaging and drying..."

https://www.futurederm.com/why-you-absolutely-should-not-use-baking-soda-as-an-exfoliator/

Additionally, if you use baking soda with or close in time to your AHAs BHAs, you will neutralize their effect by changing the pH necessary for them to work. In fact you will deactivate many actives, particularly antioxidants, because they are formulated with the precise pH needed to keep them stable.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Paula said long ago that she was wrong about using baking soda as a scrub. While it is perfect for a scrub because it has no jagged edges to scratch the skin, it is too alkaline which damages the acid mantle. That makes a perfect environment for bacteria to grow. 

Paula has updated several things over the years that she once thought a certain way about and no longer does because science proved it to be wrong or ineffective.

I also don't remember Paula being totally against scrubs. She just happened to think many of them were poorly formulated and used beads that were too sharp that harmed the skin . She realized that some people could not use chemical exfoliants for one reason or the other.  Perhaps I am mistaken about that. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Another company sold?  Everything is going to be owned by the same two or three companies.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain

@sueeich

@Daysdee

@Irshgrl31201

@suzyQ3

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions about baking soda as a scrub. Since I don't use scrubs with plastic beads in them anymore, it's either using something like Tatcha rice bran scrub which I think is also OK or use baking soda. I usually use the baking soda when I take a shower in the morning and by the time I am ready to apply skin care or makeup, I think my acid mantle has normalized. I don't use AHA or BHA products in the morning since I am using sunscreens on my face.

My skin has pretty much normalized after menopause but I still get an oily T zone and can get breakouts on my chin area and flakiness can be a problem in that T zone too. So I'm going to stick with using baking soda scrub on my face in the shower.