Honored Contributor

There was a segment on GMA this morning about a new study by JAMA Dermatology concerning hair growth products that showed some actually did have some positive effects. Biotin was not mentioned, but I think there have been plenty of studies on that one anyways.

-

Some of the products were mentioned by brand name since that was used in the study and included Viviscal and Nutraful. And also some supplements were mentioned like capsacin and zinc, although it wasn't clear as to whether that was external application or consuming. Zinc was shown to affect density, but not necessarily growth of new hair.

-

I would like to read more about this study to get more detail so if someone can find a better synopsis @SilleeMee , please share here. I'm assuming the actual JAMA Dermatology article is by subscription only.

-

The GMA lady doctor mentioned that her particular hair loss was tied to diet. I haven't actually seen any particular diet recommendations for hair growth/hair loss prevention, so that's a new one for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Hair Growth Study

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess

From the JAMA network, dated 11/30/2022: (only a partial publication)

----------------

"Evaluation of the Safety and Effectiveness of Nutritional Supplements for Treating Hair LossA Systematic Review"

Honored Contributor

Re: New Hair Growth Study

[ Edited ]

Hair growth/loss is, for the most part, a direct result of our genetic makeup. With extrinsic factors aside (infection, radiation type stuff) that can be enhanced or weakened by diet, supplements and technology (lasers, RLT, other devices).

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeewrote:

@Icegoddess

From the JAMA network, dated 11/30/2022: (only a partial publication)

----------------

"Evaluation of the Safety and Effectiveness of Nutritional Supplements for Treating Hair LossA Systematic Review"

@SilleeMeethanks, I was able to download the entire article via Transfer(dot)sh from a link I found on Reddit.

-

I understand the limitations, but it doesn't hurt to add supplementation if there are not adverse side effects and they have been shown to work. I was particularly interested in the Zinc since it affects hair density while the Viviscal affected more the shedding and growing. Yes, I would like more hair growing, but I don't think I have a shedding problem, although my drain may disagree. It's probably more breakage than shedding. But, I just wanted more in-depth information than they were able to give in a 2 or 3 minute segment.

-

BTW, here is the full list of supplements studied:

Studies of nutritional interventions with the highest-quality evidence showed the potential benefit of Viviscal, Nourkrin, Nutrafol, Lamdapil, Pantogar, capsaicin and isoflavone, omegas 3 and 6 with antioxidants, apple nutraceutical, total glucosides of paeony and compound glycyrrhizin tablets, zinc, tocotrienol, and pumpkin seed oil. Kimchi and cheonggukjang, vitamin D3, and Forti5 had low-quality evidence for disease course improvement. Adverse effects were rare and mild for all the therapies evaluated.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess

The doctor mentioned that diet helped her hair loss, yes, but her sudden hair loss was from COVID, which she has discussed before.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

Relevant/useful for people who might have noticed hair loss after getting COVID.

Honored Contributor

@1Professorthanks for the clarification. I don't watch GMA all the time, so I missed that she had hair loss due to Covid.

Honored Contributor

I started taking stinging nettle root extract about a year ago. But it's difficult to say what, if anything, it may be doing for my hair b/c I use other things along with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Been taking a high quality Zinc for a couple of years to boost immunity but my hair does not appear more dense at all.

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess

I've been using Women's Rogaine for 8 years with phenomenal results. My hair dresser still talks about it.

I've been curious about the others, especially Viviscal, but I'd be afraid that I would reverse my results.

Before I started the Rogaine, I did take a supplement, but I'm not sure which one it was, but it did nothing for me.

Honored Contributor

@Chopsmomwrote:

@Icegoddess

I've been using Women's Rogaine for 8 years with phenomenal results. My hair dresser still talks about it.

I've been curious about the others, especially Viviscal, but I'd be afraid that I would reverse my results.

Before I started the Rogaine, I did take a supplement, but I'm not sure which one it was, but it did nothing for me.

@ChopsmomI can't use Rogaine. It makes my scalp itch.