Super Contributor

I had not bought a new hair dryer in a very long time. I was reading recently online that using old ones is not that good for your hair.

I got a new one and used it today and it made a huge difference in my hair.  Who knew that you should get a new dryer sometimes lol.

It is a Revlon Perfect Heat Volumizing dryer. It is great!

Honored Contributor

I wish they had said exactly what is wrong with old dryers.  Too much heat, maybe?  

Super Contributor

Re: New Hair Dryer-Who Knew

[ Edited ]

This is just some of what I had read about them:

4 Things Your New Hair Dryer Can Do

Sometimes I fall in love with a particular tool and use it for years and years just because I like it. But sometimes I can take this thinking too far, especially when technology moves on without me and I don’t realize what I’ve been missing. A good example is my old hair dryer that I’ve been using for waaay too long.

I’m thinking it might be time to retire Old Faithful and pick up a stylish new model, but what can I expect my new dryer to do that my old one can’t? Well, a new dryer can…

1. Deliver more even heat

Different materials conduct heat in different ways. When it comes to hair dryers, ceramic beats metal, every time. So maybe it’s time to forego those finicky metal heating elements in an old hair dryer and instead try a higher quality hair dryer with a ceramic heating element. The advantages are significant: the dryer heats more evenly (with less difference between hot and cool), allowing hair to dry more quickly.

2. Use science know-how to defeat overly-dried hair

Tired of loose strands and frizz and ready to move to a dryer that helps deliver smoother hair?

As we all learned in school, ions are atoms that have an uneven number of electrons, giving them an either positive or negative charge. And it’s those persnickety positive ions in the moisture of hair that cause the frizzy static. Ionic hair dryers help out by introducing negative ions that interact with the positive ones, subsequently weeding out some of frizz by allowing hair to dry more

quickly. Who knew there was so much science wrapped up in a hair dryer?

3. Feature a “cool shot” button

In addition to various speed and heat settings (old hair dryer with only one heat setting, anyone?), look for a hair dryer that features a “cool shot” button. What’s it for? When pressed, the cool shot button maintains the dryer’s blowing action, but temporarily halts the heating process. This gives your hair a blast of cool air that can be used for setting in place a perfect look — a secret that many users never take advantage of!

4. Provide more power

There’s no doubt that a dryer with higher wattage has the ability to dry hair more efficiently. If your current hair dryer is a little on the weak side as far as wattage goes, consider upgrading to one with higher wattage, which is a better buy.

Honored Contributor

Old?  What is the definition of old?  And why?  I'm sure there are brand new hair dryers out there that use exactly the technology as before.  There needs to be more information, such as what the problem is and what to look for in a new dryer.  I have never seen any huge difference in my hair after buying a new dryer, but I'm also not spending huge amounts on a dryer, especially since they all seem to die after a few years anyways.  My main concern is whether my diffuser will fit on the end of it and whether it has separate heat and speed settings.

Trusted Contributor

Over time the heating element may not work as well which can damage your hair.  I have heard this as a reason to invest in new flat irons or curling irons periodically.  Since the tool is still working you may not realize that over heating is occuring and damaging your hair.  

Esteemed Contributor

Improvements?

Yes. But I sure wouldn't consider a cool setting, ceramic element, or ionic control a new feature.

I was aware of, and looked for the words ceramic and ionic on hair appliances back in 2000. In fact I've already thrown out hair appliances with these 'new' features.

As to the 'more power'...well the wiring in my house may not like it.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Improvements?

Yes. But I sure wouldn't consider a cool setting, ceramic element, or ionic control a new feature.

I was aware of, and looked for the words ceramic and ionic on hair appliances back in 2000. In fact I've already thrown out hair appliances with these 'new' features.

As to the 'more power'...well the wiring in my house may not like it.

I only use the low power setting and the medium heat setting and stlll it can be too much for me.  More power is not a plus for me with fine curly hair who wants to keep it curly.