Honored Contributor

Re: New Eyelashes - Katrina on Q2

With the very bright lights needed in tv/stage, the makeup has to be more pronounced/exaggerated.  And  there is an expectation of how a host or tv news anchor, etc are to look.  I'm not arguing or siding with anyone.  I'm just stating what I know about lighting (which I LOVE!)  In building forums, my tag line is "it's all about the lighting".  

I don't think anyone meant any harm or disrespect.

Frequent Contributor

I don't get the whole false eyelash thing. On some hosts they look natural and on some - not so much, and make the "seasoned" hosts look a lot older. I notice it more and more - why can't women just wear makeup naturally anymore ? I don't think it makes their eyes look better and sometimes it's just distracting.  Just my 2 cends. 

I get that the younger ladies are in to them (and wait til they hit a certain age and have no lashes because of either the glue-ons or extensions) but on some older women I think the thicker lashes look ridiculous. 

Esteemed Contributor

My post was definitely misconstrued and I regret that.  The way I wrote it I thought was non-judgemental and seeking opinions about how people wore their lashes.  I wanted to discuss big eyelashes on regular people, and what do you think about it.  I got very few posts on that subject. 

Of course TV makeup is heavier than regular makeup.  I think everyone knows that, I took that as a given, and I was not attempting to discuss that, or interested in something that obvious and boring.  But it looks like several posters thought my topic was TV makeup and this thread did not come out as I intended.  Of course I can't control what others write and how they choose to interpret my posts.

While I am considering how I do my lashes, I assure you, I am not going to make myself up like Katrina looked on the TV, because I don't look like her, and don't work on TV.

Thanks for reading and contributing.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

When considering lashes, I think it best to actually go to the store (I get most of mine at WM) and see what appeals to you.  You might not like every one you pick out but you're going to most likely buy a dud or two.  They're cheap.  I started out with Demi Whispies...that's the style, not brand.  I like Ardell lashes.  (For me) it's very hit miss when ordering a new style on line.  

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm Do you put mascara on them to sort of bond the real lashes to the "new ones".  I sort of have this vision that real lashes and false eyelashes won't work together.  I do have lashes.  They sort of go down, which I understand is a byproduct of saggy eyelids (I am in my 50s).  I can curl them, and apply mascara, which I do sometimes, but maybe they could look lusher, for fun if I use falsies.

I do remember when I was little, false lashes were popular (1970s???).  My sister used to wear them.  I don't really remember how they looked.  It seems like there were a lot of formal events then, and that is when she would wear them.  I don't think there were as many formal events when I grew up, or maybe that's just me.  I did use to go to formals in my 20s, but I don't think falsies were that popular anymore.  And I have never made myself up that much, which is common in my circles, as I mentioned elsewhere.  But I do seem to have faded with age (colorwise), so more make-up seems appropriate.  I let my hair go salt-and-pepper during the pandemic, and I think I will keep it that way, at least for now.  That is unusual in my circles too!  Not afraid to try new things...

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I put a coat of mascara on my real lashes before adding the false ones.  They are sooo short tho, I'm not sure if I even need to but I do.  That's why I started wearing false lashes again, because mine had gotten so short.  I think/know it was thyroid that caused then to stop growing.

YES, real lashes and false lashes can and do work together.  Apply mascara, put on your false lashes and after the glue is dry and the mascara is set, use a pair of tweezer (coming in from the outside corner, and clamp them together.  You want to do this from the side to keep from  acidentally poking yourself in the eye!   I've never had lashes that want to droop  and not hold a curl so I really don't know what the answer is.  Perhaps when you mesh the two together, they'll stay put.  It won't cost much to experiment with them Smiley Happy  

I miss formals.  Even as a younger girl I liked to dress up.  Dad was an officer in the military and then a commercial pilot so there was plenty of opportunity to dress up.  I remember when you dressed up to fly on a commercial airliner.  As the family of an officer or a pilot, we were required to wear our Sunday best.  I wonder if today's generation even know what "Sunday Best" means? Smiley Surprised

I don't know how I'm going to feel about letting my hair go gray.  I can't even imagine it Smiley Surprised  Mom is 82 and hasn't let her hair go gray  She's blonde.  I'm medium-darkish brunette.  It will be a SHOCK Smiley Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm Thanks for the tips.  My eyelashes are longer, because I can see the length when I curl them, but not as thick as they used to be.  I am not patient when it comes to make-up, probably because I am not good at it, so if I am wearing mascara, I will curl, then apply mascara.  And they seem a little thin.  I am sure I'll try the falsies at some point if they stay in fashion.

I did love dressing up, and dancing.  I barely dance anymore.  I don't think dancing is as popular as it was when I was in college in the 1980s.  Sad!!!!!!!

Going grey was easy at first because I barely went anywhere during the pandemic, and I normally went to the salon to color my hair and salons were closed.  My natural hair was dark black, and I was dying it medium ash brown with balayage highlights, to help hide the grey.  Every 3 weeks religiously, because my hair does grow fast. I wore a pony tail and headband to hide the growth.  My hair actually looked kind of thin.  I was curious about the grey because I had no idea how how much I had, but thought natural color might make my hair look denser. I usually cut my hair to my shoulders, and the color grew out within a year except for a minor streak here or there, which is kind of odd, because it means that hair is still there and everything else has grown out!  Now it's mostly salt-n-pepper with a few (natural) black streaks, darker in the back, underneath. It looked whiter at first, until I got a new fresh hair cut and a keratin treatment to even out the texture.  It's taken me a little bit to get used to it. The fresh cut and keratin made a big positive difference. The weather has been too hot and sweaty to hold a style. so I will wait to take a good look and reassess in the fall.  I like to curl my hair, and it's impossible right now.  I suspect I'll keep the grey hair, and just wear more make up to brighten myself up.  I have been wearing more color in my clothes.  I do know like one person with natural grey hair, and I think I can do this.   My mom also dyed her hair into her 80s, but she stopped.  She is 89.  My sisters, who are older, also color.  None of them are in NY, so they haven't seen me.  No facetime for us!  They are old-fashioned.

Thanks again for the eyelashes tips!

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

You're welcome.  Too bad your sisters aren't willing to Facetime (is that an iPhone exclusive term)?  Technology is a wonderful thing!  How long has it been since you've seen them?

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm It's been a few years, maybe 4?  I have traded pictures with one of them.  The other one is somewhat estranged.  I am OK with that.  I was planning to travel, wanted to see my mom, but my health hasn't been good.  So maybe next year.  They won't come to NYC. Too much for them.  They are all in the midwest, my oldest sister was the draw.  Not for me!  We are from Puerto Rico.  I was first to leave, for college in the 1980s.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

With the very bright lights needed in tv/stage, the makeup has to be more pronounced/exaggerated.  And  there is an expectation of how a host or tv news anchor, etc are to look.  I'm not arguing or siding with anyone.  I'm just stating what I know about lighting (which I LOVE!)  In building forums, my tag line is "it's all about the lighting".  

I don't think anyone meant any harm or disrespect.

Then why can't they adjust their makeup to the lighting so it does not look more pronounced/exaggerated..........thus harsh and ageing.