Honored Contributor

Re: New Elf dupe for Tacha's Silk Canvas Primer

[ Edited ]

Both the Tatcha and the e.l.f. primers have silicone listed as their first and second ingredient. Some of the reviews say it makes them break out. So just be aware of this ingredient if you can't use silicone-based products, myself included.

Esteemed Contributor

I won't question whether or not Tatcha's Silk Canvas Primer is better than ELF because I've never tried Tatcha's. I have however used ELF's Illuminating and Hydrating primers. There are plenty of pricier primers that I might say are better, but for anyone looking to use a primer in the price range of under $20, ELF is an excellent choice. The line is available in many store branches of Ulta,Target, Walmart, Kohl's, Walgreens. It was at Ulta that I was encouraged to try the primers. In my case it was a painless try as the brand was having a buy two get one free special. My free item was the Hydrating Under Eye Primer. The Under Eye is a sheer peachy toned cream which really does seem to have a brightening effect under the eyes. Alone I don't think it's very hydrating, so I still continue to use an eye cream (most often Borghese Advanced Spa Lift for Eyes).
Honored Contributor

Aloha @San Antonio Gal.  I use Tatcha's Silk Canvas primer.  At first, I thought, "what's the big deal" & almost chalked it off as no better than anything else, but the more I used it, the more I realized my make-up looks GREAT (not just good) at the end of the day.  It is pricey, but you only need a very small amount, so I can easily see this lasting me 9-12 months.  Like many reviewers have stated, it would be nice if it was a different delivery system instead of a jar; nonetheless, it is a great primer.

I haven't tried the Elf one, so I can't compare, but I at least wanted to give my opinion of the Tatcha primer.

P.S. I hope your new job is going well!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

Isn't Scott Vincent Borba the original founder of e.l.f.? I may be wrong...

Love silk canvas but not as a primer but a finishing step to fill in pores and brighten. Never had *great* luck with e.l.f. products - they're good to very good sometimes but not amazing.

Honored Contributor

@IntoSkincare wrote:

Isn't Scott Vincent Borba the original founder of e.l.f.? I may be wrong...

Love silk canvas but not as a primer but a finishing step to fill in pores and brighten. Never had *great* luck with e.l.f. products - they're good to very good sometimes but not amazing.

Yes, I think that's right. He and a father-son team, the Shamahs.

Valued Contributor

Scott Borba

No thought is worth thinking.....
Honored Contributor

I currently use ELF poreless primer and like it. I haven't tried the newest one yet. 

Respected Contributor

Great timing. I recently purchased the Tatcha primerd really like it. I wear it under my sunscreen on my no makeup days. When I saw this thread  I checked my makeup cart and saw that I also purchased the elf primer. They are similar to me. I am going to use the elf more and then post a comparison.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Doesn’t the sunscreen go on first followed by the primer?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MJDinVegasHi! I tryed for the first time Tatcha's silk canvas primer yesterday. I like it alot & did not notice it settling into my fine lines but I use very little product. Possibly, you could have applied more than needed & that could be the problem? I also need to look into Elf. I know my Kohn's carries a good amount of Elf products.