Honored Contributor

Re: Neutrogena - Hydroboost Gel Cream -- Question for those who use

@Dusty1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1You are using the Gel Creme for for Extra Dry Skin? Not the Water Gel? 

I love the Gel Creme & I have used it under makeup without a problem.

I hated the Water Gel. Totally different & fragranced.

Maybe JM Argan Milk would work better.

The only thing I would suggest that you check is your cleanser. If your skin is looking dry try a different cleanser. 

I have seen my skin looking awful & started trying to add more moisture, but it turned out my cleanser was too drying.

It can be a cleanser that you have been using & your skin has changed, but even cleansers that are listed for normal/dry/sensitive skin, still were drying out my skin.

I ended up using SheaMoisture Argan Oil to break down my makeup & First Aid Beauty Cleanser to clean my skin.

@Dusty1

I am using the gel cream.  I had stopped using this before and had forgotten why.  Now, I know why!!  

I seem to have this issue with the crabby skin every year at about this time.  I am using a very gentle cleanser so I don't think it is that.

I am just going to stop using the gel cream when I am using makeup- it just doesn't work for me.  Thanks!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I started using this again because lately my skin has been feeling sort of dehydrated or something -- maybe its the cold weather, heat --- ???  Any how, it felt pretty nice on my skin and I'm thinking --- this could be the remedy for my cranky skin.  But here's my question --- anyone using this --- do you notice that when you try to apply foundation, etc. after, that it doesn't go on smoothly?  It's almost like the moisturizer has no slip to it -- it kind of drags and doesn't allow other products to smooth out or something.  I do give the moisturizer several minutes to absorb before applying other things so I don't think that's the problem.  Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue??

I guess I can continue to use the moisturzer but only at home when I'm not planning to apply makeup afterward or go any where!  Phooey!  Now I'm on the hunt for another moisturzer!!!  

Thanks for your replies!!!  

@AngelPuppy1  I mentioned here that I use the Neutogena Hydra Boost SPF, which says it’s a water based lotion. It could be that this line just is not meant for very dry skin or to be super moisturizing. I wear my moisturizer under the SPF, so can’t say whether it causes “drag” under foundation. Have you tried a primer on top of it? Also check the ingredients compared to your other moisturizers and look for oils, shea, etc. They may not be included. Some drugstore brands cut corners on higher end ingredients and some go overboard. There was a L’Oreal product that was so rich, it caused zits in 2 days!

@Shanus

This gel cream is not jiving with my makeups, etc.  I have always pretty much used drug store moisturizers with the exception of using Clinique a while back.  I have not ever experienced this issue before.  I am going to look for something else.  I have not tried a primer on top of it.  I just did not like the way my skin was looking and feeling with this product.  Yes, it did feel softer but also felt like it might be clogging my skin.  Nope, not a good thing.  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Would a primer help. I find foundation glides over it. Though I haven’t used Neutragena.

@IMW

I have several primers but you know, I just don't seem to care for them.  Maybe it's just me but it seems like it's too much stuff on my face!!!  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I do not like any of these  Hydroboost  products, but I do love the other Neutrogena products.I am 80 and have no wrinkles or skin problems

@MalteseMomma

That's kind of what I am thinking, too.  I have other things they make and they seem fine but this particular line --- I am kind of thinking I would be better to stay away from!!!  

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for your posts!  I think this might be a good product for some but I don't believe its right for me.  I just feel like if used consistently it could start clogging my pores.  I also need a moisturizer that allows me to apply foundations and powders over top easily!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 -  Until the Hydroboost is empty, you might use it only at night when you are not wearing foundation-- then use a lighter moisturizer during the day under your makeup.  I usually use different moisturizers during the day than I do at night.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 -  Until the Hydroboost is empty, you might use it only at night when you are not wearing foundation-- then use a lighter moisturizer during the day under your makeup.  I usually use different moisturizers during the day than I do at night.

@tototwo

I think I will just use it occasionally when I am feeling particularly parched.  It didn't seem really rich at first but now that I am "analyzing" it, I think it is pretty heavy.  I just didn't like the kind of matte or coating it leaves on my skin.