Honored Contributor

Re: Need your expert foundation/powder advice yet again --

@brandiwine@AngelPuppy1 

Bareminerals!! Love Love Love! Did I mention?! I LOVE Bareminerals!! Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I used BE until at a certain age, it wasn't good for me anymore. When I use mineral foundation I now use Pur Minerals. It gives me better coverage, a longer wear and looks like my skin is completely perfected.

I also went back to using some liquid foundations, finding that in all the years I'd been using Bare Minerals, technologies in foundations had come a long ways. I no longer felt "mask like" in liquid or cream foundations. They suited my aging skin in a great ways. The key is finding a great formula.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

You sound like me.  Same age group too.  I use Bare Minerals in either fair or fairly medium.  If you don't have a store close by you can go to Sephora or Ulta and try one on half your face and the other on the other side.  Leave the store.  Go outside in natural light and see what works best.  I need a little more color to not look washed out.  Less is more when using this powder foundation.  You can also go online to the BM store and request samples of these 2 colors and wear them for a few days to see if you like it.  1 step and done.  Love it

@brandiwine  I use Fairly Light in BE Powder Foundation. Big jump from Light to Fairly Medium. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1. Another example to see fair skin that’s not trying to go a shade darker is Amy, the younger model with darker hair. She’s a true fair in all foundations they show on Q. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@AngelPuppy1Foundation is just that...your foundation.  Everything else is built from there.  You need to decide which type you prefer - serum type, liquid, whipped, cream, stick, powder, etc.  Consider your complexion, skin type, and finish you want when choosing the formula.   If you choose one that remains moist, you may need powder to set it (same color).  As your base for everything else, your foundation should match your skin color.  You should not use a darker foundation unless it's for a seasonal adjustment for tanned or untanned skin   Contouring and highlighting are added to camoflage flaws and trick the eye. You can decide how much you want to do when it comes to contouring and highlighting, it does take some practice.  Bronzer is used to warm up your overall look, but you want to be careful not to get one that's too dark or it'll look muddy, and only use it in certain areas (think of a 3 and and E on each side of your face, starting up on your hairline, coming down in the hollow under your cheeks, and then down to your jawbone) not the entire face.  You can use a little under your chin area if you want to make that a little less noticeable.  Use a light hand and only apply a little at at time until you get the coverage you want.  It's easier to build than to remove.  After the bronzer, you will add a little blush.  Apply in light circles rather than a back and forth method, to avoid a streaky look.  The area go cover is from the apples of your cheek back to the hairline above your ear.  If you start at that hairline area and work forward, in your little circles, it will look more natural and there's less chance of having two pink circles on your cheeks.  Also, with the blush, don't go any further in toward your nose than where your cheek is in line with your pupil.   

There are all kinds of video tutorials out there for makeup application.  Get on youtube and start watching some.

@JeanLouiseFinch  I agree with most of your post except blush placement. The center of the face should remain light and the best look for blush as we age is to begin the color 2 or 3 fingers’ width from nose, under iris and then towards hair line. It almost acts like its own contour color. Blush on apples of cheeks is OK when cheeks are still young/plump. Placing too much color there can be aging & if not careful, look doll like. 

@Shanus- that's what I meant by keeping the blush in line with the pupil and not getting any closer to the nose.  The distance between there and the nose would be the two fingers width you referenced.  Two ways of saying the same thing, I guess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you can experiment with blush placement to make it look most appealing, whatever that might be. I did that and at first I was going by what most would say to do but then it just looked off to me so I just played around one day and found where my blush look right and appealing. So it's not all about what the 'experts' tell you (no one in particular, generally speaking) and that's a usually a good rule-of-thumb-made-for-dummies-it's-my-first-time application, but go with what looks good on you.

Esteemed Contributor

We have the same skin tone, issues and age range. Here's what I use.

Summer---Dr. Denese day cream (which is a multi task product) and LG Balance & Brighton on top if I want/need additional coverage depending on my issues.

All seasons---Bobbi Brown foundation stick (full coverage but it's not heavy--looks like my skin but better)  I also use BB correct, conceal and cover for issues  

If I want blush then I use either BB or Doll10 gel blush. It's sheer but you can build on if you want a deeper shade. I have a ton of allergies so I really don't want too much color on my cheeks because I'll get red if I'm reacting to some scent.

A few years ago I scaled back the number or products in my routine. These are the ones that work for me. I hope you get the same results. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@AngelPuppy1Foundation is just that...your foundation.  Everything else is built from there.  You need to decide which type you prefer - serum type, liquid, whipped, cream, stick, powder, etc.  Consider your complexion, skin type, and finish you want when choosing the formula.   If you choose one that remains moist, you may need powder to set it (same color).  As your base for everything else, your foundation should match your skin color.  You should not use a darker foundation unless it's for a seasonal adjustment for tanned or untanned skin   Contouring and highlighting are added to camoflage flaws and trick the eye. You can decide how much you want to do when it comes to contouring and highlighting, it does take some practice.  Bronzer is used to warm up your overall look, but you want to be careful not to get one that's too dark or it'll look muddy, and only use it in certain areas (think of a 3 and and E on each side of your face, starting up on your hairline, coming down in the hollow under your cheeks, and then down to your jawbone) not the entire face.  You can use a little under your chin area if you want to make that a little less noticeable.  Use a light hand and only apply a little at at time until you get the coverage you want.  It's easier to build than to remove.  After the bronzer, you will add a little blush.  Apply in light circles rather than a back and forth method, to avoid a streaky look.  The area go cover is from the apples of your cheek back to the hairline above your ear.  If you start at that hairline area and work forward, in your little circles, it will look more natural and there's less chance of having two pink circles on your cheeks.  Also, with the blush, don't go any further in toward your nose than where your cheek is in line with your pupil.   

There are all kinds of video tutorials out there for makeup application.  Get on youtube and start watching some.

@JeanLouiseFinch  I agree with most of your post except blush placement. The center of the face should remain light and the best look for blush as we age is to begin the color 2 or 3 fingers’ width from nose, under iris and then towards hair line. It almost acts like its own contour color. Blush on apples of cheeks is OK when cheeks are still young/plump. Placing too much color there can be aging & if not careful, look doll like. 

@Shanus- that's what I meant by keeping the blush in line with the pupil and not getting any closer to the nose.  The distance between there and the nose would be the two fingers width you referenced.  Two ways of saying the same thing, I guess.

@JeanLouiseFinch  Gotcha. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  Wrote:

Perhaps you need to go to a store that can recommend ,and try on you things,you sure have lotsof posts,about needing beauty help.

How rude!  This is a Beauty Forum and there are no time limits.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I am 60, fair skin, pinish/neutral undertones, dry/sensitive/rosacea.

I currently like Doll 10 HydraLux foundation in Fair.  It covers beautiful, and dries to a soft matte finish so no finishing powder required.  IT's foundations/BBs and CCs always leave my skin so tacky that I have to put a powder on top. Their BB oil-free is a little better, and I would choose the Fair-Light color but it still needs a powder.

Bare Minerals is a no go for me, it just makes my skin itch.  As does IT's powder foundations with sunscreens.  If I get the slightest bit warm my face itches terribly and feels irritated.

An expensive option, but a good one, is Chanel Perfection Lumier Long Wear Flawless Fluid Sunscreen with SPF 15..  A drugstore option I really like also is the L'Oreal True Match - both the regular and the Lumi (for when my skin feels more dry).  True Match Broad Spectrum SPF 17 in Classic Ivory (N2),  True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous with SPF 20 in N122 Soft Ivory/Classic Ivory.

For extra redness cover up - use a yellow conealer.  Signature Club A has Industrial Strength Yellow that's a great option.  I've also been known to use MAC Studio Fix in NC20 prior to applying foundation, or even after if it's still showing red.