Honored Contributor

Re: Need your Advice b/c I'm no expert...

Using a retinoid product and sunscreen will help preserve what you have today. If you can do these two things then you will slow down the aging process. The only way you can truly reverse the signs of aging is with a medical procedure done by a professional.

Honored Contributor

You asked the $64,000 question. Sometimes I think genetics is what gives some people ageless beauty.
Esteemed Contributor

I am a sceptic.  I don't think anything works. And I am lucky to have good heredity. 

Super Contributor

@Trix Thanks for your detailed reply.

Super Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  Thank you. Of course, You are correct that we all have to do our own research (trial and error) based on our unique skin needs...However, I do appreciate the wisdom of this crowd for general guidance on this topic. 

I'm sure I'm one of many who has thrown away $$$$ on skin care products which were bogus due to inferior % of ingredients/agents or ingredients that have no efficacy whatsoever.

Valued Contributor

Good diet (I know Dr. Perricone is controversial, but he was right about inflammation and its effects on the skin and aging), drink plenty of water, get omega three if you don’t eat oily fish 3x week. For actives, retin a, sunscreen, a well formulated vitamin c serum, niacinamide, and a good moisturizer to help the skin barrier, and glycolic if you can tolerate it. Azelaic acid is great for evening out the complexion too. These will all help with skin tone and wrinkles, but nothing topical can really improve sagging permanently.
Super Contributor

@Fluke67  can you recommend a  niacinamide ? TIA

Honored Contributor

I think the very most important things you can do is clean your face every day, remove any and all make up, everyday, exfoliate 2x a week and ALWAYS wear sunscreen. Now as to what your issues are, that  is the next thing you have to figure out. Remember, there is no magic cream or serum that is going to lift and tighten and all the rest of the hype. Genes are a huge part of what your skin is all about. Then it is all about research and lots of it. Maybe a trip to the derm dr would be well worth it to see what he/she thinks.

Valued Contributor

You mentioned SPF.  Absolutely, it is effective. 

Treitinoin, Retin A, the Rx, product works and is backed up by mounds of peer reviewed research.  It is the gold standard of anti aging.

Honored Contributor

I'm telling you, Dr. Dennis Gross Daily Peel Pads have made a change I didn't think was possible unless I used Retin A (which I can't). I started out with the ones for Sensitive skin and have slowly worked my way to the Extreme a few days a week. I use his weekly peel, his twice a week peel, his Vit. C....the difference in my skin is noticeable in pictures and I've had family and close friends ask if I've had something done. It takes a few minutes and you're done. Many of them love the peels as well now, lol!