Super Contributor

Need suggestions for foundation for 60+ lady!

I am in my mid sixties, and need a lighter foundation. The ones I have been using seem so thick now, and look pasty on my skin. I do have freckles and a red nose and cheeks, so something that will cover that too, would be great. I want something lightweight. Any suggestions??

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for foundation for 60+ lady!

I think @Shanus can help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24    Hi.  I am 71 and I use Bobbi Brown fluid powder, SPF 20.  It's very light but buildable and you don't feel like you are wearing anything.  It is light to medium coverage.  There are several shades and undertones to choose from.  Nordstrom carries it and you get free shpg.  If for some reason it does not work out, you can return it.   Big plus -- it lasts a long time.  Oh, it's waterproof and sweatproof which is another big plus.  Bobbi Brown website offers discounts (25%) a few times a year.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@nanny24 

I am absolutely crazy about the anti ageimg foundation by Bobbi Brown.

It feels like liquid silk and very light.

Go to a department store and let them put it on you, it's amazing!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like two foundations right now:  Estée Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue and Its Your Skin but Better.  

Honored Contributor

I am 68.  I am very fair but get the redness due to rosacea.  I am not currently using any foundation because of wearing the mask all the time, but when I do, I use various ones.  I often will just use Cover Girl stick concealer -- dot it on the red areas and then just use a light dusting of powder.  It often looks better than trying to cover with a heavy makeup.  Another suggestion which I really like is Laura Geller Balance and Brighten.  I never thought I would like a powder foundation at my age, but it's truly different.  It does cover without looking like a mask and it does not settle in my fine lines and it does give you some nice color, too!  And it's easy!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@nanny24 , I love Lancome Regenerie...it goes on effortlessly,  doesn't settle in lines or pores.  Very natural looking, not pasty at all.  It's pricey $$ but very little goes a long way so it'll last for quite some time.  Ulta and department stores carry it, so you can go sample the right shade for you.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@nanny24 

I am absolutely crazy about the anti ageimg foundation by Bobbi Brown.

It feels like liquid silk and very light.

Go to a department store and let them put it on you, it's amazing!!!

@ECBG   Do you mean the serum foundation?

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

I am in my mid sixties, and need a lighter foundation. The ones I have been using seem so thick now, and look pasty on my skin. I do have freckles and a red nose and cheeks, so something that will cover that too, would be great. I want something lightweight. Any suggestions??

Good morning @nanny24 . I'm not sure we've "met" before, so Hello. I'm a makeup artist, so maybe I can help. I'm 72, so I can identify with the red nose and not wanting heavy foundation.

As you can read from other replies, Bobbi Brown is always a favorite (my first choice, too) when it comes to foundations.  They have the largest selecton of shade ranges and many formulations to choose from. I like to recommend, to all women over 40 or 50, to consider a lighter foundation and use concealer afterwards to cover redness and imperfections. Freckles are cute and allowing them to be seen will be youthful. I never try to cover them. 

I use Bobbi Brown's Tinted Moisturizer which has a light coverage and their correctors (for redness) and concealers are formulated to match exactly so you get a seamless look. I suggest powdering only the center of the face with a translucent powder so you still have a youthful glow on your cheeks.

You didn't ask about blush, but I'd go with a cream blush as well...for the same reason. Powders tend to exaggerate wrinkling or any texture on the skin. If cream blush is difficult for you, you can set it lightly with a powder blush in the same tone. 

I'd go to the BB site. If you join (give your email address), first time shoppers receive 15% off and always foundations /correctors/concealers are shipped and exchanged free if the color isn't right for you. If you can get to a dept. store that carries Bobbi Brown, it's best to get your shade matched. They can recommend which foundation is best, too. 

Hope this helps you makes a decision. 

Super Contributor

Thanks ladies for the great suggestions, and shanus, for taking the time to explain all that!  Smiley Happy