Super Contributor

Re: Need recs for Pilates Reformer Books/DVDs

I use Stott DVDs and betterbody.com has them, as does eBay.

Respected Contributor

The straps are that perpendicular length, but even with 3 cords I can't get the pull back force needed for resistencia on a shoulder stand due to my long legs and the cords stop short of the full stop at the top of the board when I pull my legs straight down. Years ago I used a professional one in classes and they are longer than the aeropilates ones. My 4500jp is 85 inches long instead of 98 to 100 for a professional model or an 111 inch for an extended model. The 5 cord one on q is only 88 inches long, so I couldn't get a full stretch out of it either, but since mine was free, it will do nicely until I can save for a larger one.
Respected Contributor

I saw this book. I've got it on my wishlist for when I get more experienced.
Respected Contributor

I'll check out the Scott ones. They make machines as well, so there are those to look at as well.
Valued Contributor

You might look on Amazon for some DVDs.  The 3 cord is a small machine.  I had one several years ago and we sent it back and I upgraded to a 4 cord.  It wore out and I purchased another one and the frame broke, not due to my weight or anything.  My husband, an engineer,looked it over and said it was structural.  Since the warranty was over, I waited until the newer ones came out.  They are not the same as some of the earlier ones. My4 cord had a wider bed.  This one is one where you have to adjust the straps and the bed is smaller.  I had to get used to the machine and it is alright now.  Anyway, I have seen DVDs on Amazon and Ebay.  You could also email majolein@lighterliving.com.  She has always been very helpful to me. There is also a Lighter Living Video Club that has all sorts of videos. from beginners to advanced.

Respected Contributor

During my searching for videos I found her site and think that $18 a month for unlimited videos is a great deal.  There is also pilatesanytime, I think that is what it is called.

The 3 cord does seem to be a smaller machine than the other one I have used of a friends that was a cross of pilates and Total Gym like thing.  I'm now looking at full sized studio machines since I do have the space and AeroPilates makes one that uses springs.  I first thought abou the 5 cord one on QVC and had it in my cart when my friend offered me this one.  It is enough  to get my flexibility built up along with my skill until I can upgrade, but when it is time to do that, I will upgrade to full size since I need the full stretch for my back and knee issue.  The straps on the 4500JP really are poopoo for those exercises.  I'm can't wait to get the stand tomorrow and the Level 1 DVD I got from Amazon for $7 to jump in.  The reviews of the AeroPilates DVDs are great especially for those learning/relearning.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVCPhobe, what are the black cords compared to the red cord? Their site only has yellow and red.  I should add that to do a lower body workout I use all three cords to get a challenge, otherwise it is just a stretch with little resistence on the red/black or black/black combo of two cords.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tigriss wrote:

QVCPhobe, what are the black cords compared to the red cord? Their site only has yellow and red.  I should add that to do a lower body workout I use all three cords to get a challenge, otherwise it is just a stretch with little resistence on the red/black or black/black combo of two cords.

@Tigriss wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:

I can help with that, tigriss.  The red cord adds 40% more resistance when used.  There are sets of red cords avail. at the Q for $24 and change.  If you are looking for more resistance, you could swap another red cord with a black cord currently on your machine so that you could use two red cords.  I would remind you though that Pilates is not about strength training but control, especially when you're starting back or for the first time.  Only you know your own body.  HTH's   

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

I will try the cords today with the stand that came in to see if that makes a difference because it is on carpet right now.  That little bit of extra friction make be a bit of the issue with it sliding back into position, that or my weight...one or the other.  I'm under the max for the machine, but you never know.  I will also oil the slides with some sewing machine oil to see if that helps as well.  

You are right about it being about the control, so I will slow down to create more resistence instead of a moderate speed.  Thanks for letting me know about the cords at the Q.  That way, I'll have an easy return if I need to instead of dealing with an unfamiliar site if I need to return them.

Respected Contributor

Apparently mine is not only missing the wheels but the little feet as well. I"ve had to fashion some to make the stand work, plus the stand doesn't exactly line up with the sides of the reformer; it is a bit askew even though the feet are in the right place. It works, so that is all that matters.