Super Contributor

Re: Need rec for vitamin C serum or lotion

Yes I'm on my Kindle. I have no idea what you mean turn HTML code. I don't even have the bar at the top where you can put things in bold, select faces, etc.
Trusted Contributor

Ok, here's the deal with the pH of my NCN Vit. C serum. When I first received it in the middle of April, it was pH of around 2 to 3, can't remember exactly, but it was certainly at the correct pH for L-ascorbic acid.

It's now the middle of August and I've used up more than 3/4 of the bottle. I decided to test the pH again out of curiosity and it tested pH 4. I keep the bottle out of the light, it has a pump, it's packaged in a dark bottle, suffered no extreme temperatures, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So, the claim that NCN makes about adding MAP to L-ascorbic acid to "stabilize" it may be fine in theory, but not in practice, at least with my bottle of Vit. C serum. Or perhaps my assumption that 'stabilizing' the L-ascorbic acid by keeping it at a pH of 2 for the life of the bottle is the wrong assumption. But that's how I interpreted their description of the serum formulation and their claim that it wouldn't oxidize.

With a pH of 4, the L-ascorbic acid won't enter the skin.

With a pH of 4, it's a little too acidic for the MAP to be stable.

So, the last little bit of serum in the bottle is no longer effective for the use I purchased it for. That was my point. The Vit. C oxidized, the pH changed from 2 to 4.

So, I guess this means I need to use up a Vit. C serum more quickly before the pH changes.

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 myshell624 said: Yes I'm on my Kindle. I have no idea what you mean turn HTML code. I don't even have the bar at the top where you can put things in bold, select faces, etc.

I don't know the "official" description, but it's essentially directions to make your text have the spacing, etc., you want.

For example, to make a paragraph you begin with

and end with

For bold, italics, underline it's the <> and </> brackets, but using a "b" or an "i" within those brackets.

I can't post pics or live links, but I can copy and paste from my iPad.

I've gotten so used to it I find myself doing it on sites where it's not needed.:-) It IS a pain, though.

Oops -- by posting the codes, it inserted the paragraphs. Okay -- beginning bracket <> with a p (for paragraph), b or i in it, ending with a </> with the b, p or i before the /.

I sure hope someone comes along who can explain it better. If you don't want to hassle with it, everybody knows what's going on and can read the post anyway -- just not mine as I tend to be long-winded. :-)

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Sweet Susie said:

Ok, here's the deal with the pH of my NCN Vit. C serum. When I first received it in the middle of April, it was pH of around 2 to 3, can't remember exactly, but it was certainly at the correct pH for L-ascorbic acid.

It's now the middle of August and I've used up more than 3/4 of the bottle. I decided to test the pH again out of curiosity and it tested pH 4. I keep the bottle out of the light, it has a pump, it's packaged in a dark bottle, suffered no extreme temperatures, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So, the claim that NCN makes about adding MAP to L-ascorbic acid to "stabilize" it may be fine in theory, but not in practice, at least with my bottle of Vit. C serum. Or perhaps my assumption that 'stabilizing' the L-ascorbic acid by keeping it at a pH of 2 for the life of the bottle is the wrong assumption. But that's how I interpreted their description of the serum formulation and their claim that it wouldn't oxidize.

With a pH of 4, the L-ascorbic acid won't enter the skin.

With a pH of 4, it's a little too acidic for the MAP to be stable.

So, the last little bit of serum in the bottle is no longer effective for the use I purchased it for. That was my point. The Vit. C oxidized, the pH changed from 2 to 4.

So, I guess this means I need to use up a Vit. C serum more quickly before the pH changes.

That's interesting! I wonder if keeping it in the fridge would extend its lifespan? PLEASE don't tell me that would hasten the destabilizing! :-) You should email Nanci and let her know -- find out if there's a way to "save" it.

Honored Contributor

My bottles of NCN's last roughly 3 months, sometimes a little longer. The one I have now is 2 months old and tested at 2. I am not sure I would expect a used bottle to remain stable at 4+ months, especially containing L-ascorbic. MAP can stay stable and penetrate at pH 4, especially with the additional ingredients used in the product. I keep mine in a dark cook cabinet.

We each have to decide what we are okay with.

Super Contributor

Maren I emailed QVC. I've never had this problem. Hopefully they can tell me how to fix it. Thanks for telling me how to use the codes. I hope I don't have to do all that just for a paragraphSmiley Sad
Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 myshell624 said: Maren I emailed QVC. I've never had this problem. Hopefully they can tell me how to fix it. Thanks for telling me how to use the codes. I hope I don't have to do all that just for a paragraphSmiley Sad

It's not QVC, it's the mobile device. ULTIMATELY it might be that the site could "update", but I'm not sure if that's possible with a mobile platform.

On YouTube, though, some selections show the message that the owner of the vid hasn't made it available for mobile devices, but I have no problem playing others. So it would SEEM as though there's something that can be done for mobile users. It IS 2014, after all, and more and more people are using mobile devices.

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 HappyDaze said:

My bottles of NCN's last roughly 3 months, sometimes a little longer. The one I have now is 2 months old and tested at 2. I am not sure I would expect a used bottle to remain stable at 4+ months, especially containing L-ascorbic. MAP can stay stable and penetrate at pH 4, especially with the additional ingredients used in the product. I keep mine in a dark cook cabinet.

We each have to decide what we are okay with.

I keep ALL my serums and creams in a drawer -- although my bathroom doesn't receive direct sunlight, I know how sneaky UV rays are! :-)

I know it comes in a pump-type bottle, right? (As opposed to a dropper.) But it's probably not totally air-tight?

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 8/13/2014 myshell624 said: Maren I emailed QVC. I've never had this problem. Hopefully they can tell me how to fix it. Thanks for telling me how to use the codes. I hope I don't have to do all that just for a paragraphSmiley Sad

It's not QVC, it's the mobile device. ULTIMATELY it might be that the site could "update", but I'm not sure if that's possible with a mobile platform.

On YouTube, though, some selections show the message that the owner of the vid hasn't made it available for mobile devices, but I have no problem playing others. So it would SEEM as though there's something that can be done for mobile users. It IS 2014, after all, and more and more people are using mobile devices.

Ok I'm giving it a try. If it comes out looking a mess, sorry:-(

I still don't get why I just started having this issue today.

Super Contributor

Ha I did it. Thanks Maren!!!