Respected Contributor

Need nail products advice please

I'm old. 69 😉 and my once long strong beautiful nails are so different these days. When they grow to about an eighth inch past my fingertips, they begin to peel along the free edges. I don't have any medical problems that would cause this. And I take a daily multivitamin with minerals that has a lot of biotin. I've dabbled in different products, not seeing results. I use an emery board to file. Could that be the problem?
Would love some suggestions. Thanks 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Re: Need nail products advice please

[ Edited ]

In case you're not already aware, when you file them only go in one direction.

Honored Contributor

I think a good quality glass file gives the smoothest edge.  I find my nails less likely to break when I square off the tips rather than have ovals....notice some of the Q host's nails, Jennifer and Rachel for instance.  Keep cuticals well moisturized with a rich cream daily.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Same problem, then started using a glass file, filed the nail straight across, no oval.

Used Josie Maran agran oil every night, rub it on nail bed and cuticle.  Any oil or cream would help moisturize the nail I would think, anyway my 77yr old nails look good and stopped peeling and are thicker.  I'am pretty hard on my  hands (gardening & projects).

Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor

Omg!  Someone on this same subject suggested Trind nail products.  I believe they are out of Canada, but have a North American branch.  I bought their nail balsam  product and in less than two weeks my nails are perfect ( no lie).  I just bought their Nail Repair which is recommended , has only been two days and the results are amazing!  I ordered online , fast service, reasonable prices, should last a long time.  Certainly worth a try!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm curious to read the suggestions here.  @fairydogmother, I'm having similar problems.  I'm 71, and my once-beautiful nails have been peeling.  A lot.  I've tried almost every nail product on the market and my nails are getting worse.  Now I keep them very short, file with Czech glass files, one direction, apply creams and oils.... I think I've tried everything.  

I've stopped using any products or polishes at all.  Maybe if I just ignore them for a while it will help....??

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@tototwo @fairydogmother 

I have a suggestion.  This has worked wonders for me.  I quit using nail polish because I want a more natural nail.  The first thing I use is a hand held chamois buffer from Sally Beauty.  Then the Tropical Shine extra fine file on the tips.    A couple times a week I apply Sally Hanson Moisture Rehab strengthened.  It goes on like a polish but is actually an oil that you rub into the nail and cuticle.....I. have had great results

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Mombo1 -- I've searched Sally Hansen products at 2 drugstores looking for a type of oil.  Thanks for the product name.   I will definitely try it if I can find it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Thanks @Mombo1 -- I've searched Sally Hansen products at 2 drugstores looking for a type of oil.  Thanks for the product name.   I will definitely try it if I can find it.

@tototwo    I get mine at CVS...The oil is blue in color if that helps.   I think Walmart has it too.   

Esteemed Contributor

I swear by the glass nail file from Perfect Formula.