Honored Contributor

Re: Need miracle product for my hair???

[ Edited ]

@Auntie CC  IMO this is actually the only solution to the problem.

When it was stylish I had longer hair and used to get perms - boy did that ever damage my hair. Now I'd love to have a nice body perm but I can still remember that damaged hair so I am sticking with short cut and no curl needed.

Respected Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

@Bixa2805 wrote:

Can anyone suggest something that really works to help repair hilighted damaged hair? I have tried some masks, conditioners and coconut oil. They have helped some but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything they would consider a miracle product for damaged hair. 

Nothing really works except WEN. Overtime WEN truly is a miracle product. Changes not only one's hair, but also the attitude about one's hair, and even changes self-esteem, if you can believe this.

It's great if you believe that is true for you, but that is not an absolute truth. I used WEN cleansing conditioner for years and now I don't. My hair hasn't mysteriously reverted or suffered from not using WEN. I like WEN a lot, LOVED it, but it contains amodimethicone and it was the last silicone I hadn't given up, so I finally did. I'm no hater - WEN makes great products and the Remoist is still one of the best deep conditioners I've ever used. I still recommend WEN to people, as evidenced by my original response here. But to say that "nothing really works except WEN" is just not a factual statement.

It's about using great products that work well and don't contain ingredients that harm your hair. WEN is not the only brand that accomplishes that and Chaz Dean is not the only product developer who stands by that philosophy.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

The mayo treatment has been around for decades. Have never used it myself, but have had friends do it and loved the results. Had forgotten all about the secret tip! 

I tried it once. Once. It was terrible and I've never tried it again. It left my hair a greasy mess and I had to shampoo multiple times to get it all out, reversing any benefit it had. I do think it works for some people, but I advise trying it on a weekend where you have no plans to go anywhere.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bixa2805 wrote:

Thank you Alison for all of the information and product suggestions. I am not really sure what my hair needs, it doesn’t really feel dry but looking at it it looks like frizzy, dry hair with lots of small hairs popping out all over the top of my head area. I think the hilighting has caused some damage but even before this I can remember the little hairs popping up all over the top of my head so maybe years of coloring and now hilighting has damaged my hair badly. I don’t know if I should quit the hilighting and just go all over color or if they are both equally damaging. I have gray hair popping through so I need to do something. How would I be able to tell if I need moisture, protein or the olaplex? 

@Bixa2805, it can be confusing, even when I read more about it. This article may help you determine if you need protein or moisture:
https://www.bustle.com/articles/124772-how-to-tell-if-your-hair-needs-protein-or-moisture-so-you-can...

There's no real test for Olaplex, but if you've been highlighting for a while, I'd recommend visiting the Olaplex website and checking out the How it Works and Education sections. They sell on the site, so I can't link it here, but I bet you can figure out what it is and how to get there. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The one and only time I ever got highlights put in my hair turned out to be disastrous. I think the colorist left the solution on my hair waaay too long it it fried my hair! After I went home and looked at my hair, I went right back to that stylist and had her take care of it. She ended up putting some kind of 'protein' treatment on it, then finished it with a cellophane treatment afterwards. My hair was like silk after that  but it only lasted for almost a month then I went back to get another cellophane. By this time my hair was starting to get back to normal but I eventually had to get a lot of it cut off.

Super Contributor

Hair care that makes a big difference and does good things for my hair is Nick Chevaz hair products!!

Frequent Contributor

How do you know if your issue is a lack of moisture, a lack of protein, or too much protein?
Respected Contributor

A few years ago, my hair was dry and frizzy. Natural waves made it all look messy.

My hairdresser got me onto dry oils in shampoo and conditioners as well as a few drops of leave in oil. Beyond that I've been using WOW Dream Coat to tackle the fizzies. This has worked beautifully along with regular hair appointments!

Have to say I really like the results!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@sonechko wrote:

@Bixa2805 wrote:

Can anyone suggest something that really works to help repair hilighted damaged hair? I have tried some masks, conditioners and coconut oil. They have helped some but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything they would consider a miracle product for damaged hair. 

Nothing really works except WEN. Overtime WEN truly is a miracle product. Changes not only one's hair, but also the attitude about one's hair, and even changes self-esteem, if you can believe this.

It's great if you believe that is true for you, but that is not an absolute truth. I used WEN cleansing conditioner for years and now I don't. My hair hasn't mysteriously reverted or suffered from not using WEN. I like WEN a lot, LOVED it, but it contains amodimethicone and it was the last silicone I hadn't given up, so I finally did. I'm no hater - WEN makes great products and the Remoist is still one of the best deep conditioners I've ever used. I still recommend WEN to people, as evidenced by my original response here. But to say that "nothing really works except WEN" is just not a factual statement.

It's about using great products that work well and don't contain ingredients that harm your hair. WEN is not the only brand that accomplishes that and Chaz Dean is not the only product developer who stands by that philosophy.

It has nothing to do with my "belief" @Alison Wonderland. It has EVERYTHING to do with my EXPERIENCE. Also, with the experience of millions of WEN loyal users. I am sorry yours was not like that.

Regular Contributor

Thank you Allison, that information is very helpful! 😊