Respected Contributor

Re: Need miracle product for my hair???

@Coquille wrote:

@Bixa2805 I've tried cheap, expensive, oils, everything.  I too have or should I say had, highlighted, damaged and curly dry hair. What is working for me is the relatively new Garnier Fructis Nourishing (not volume) Treat. I have used it on my towel dried hair but wasn't impressed. I leave this in, overnight and it has changed my hair. It's in much better shape and I've only used it three times. I bought the large size 13.5 oz size and I think I paid $8 or &9:00.. I put a thick layer on my hair, comb through and I have only used about, not even 1/4 of container. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another. Good luck!

@Coquille  I have medium-length curly-coarse Florida hair.  Get the picture??!!  I recently used Wen Remoist (put it on clean hair in the shower then slept with it in, rinsed it out in morning shower), hair looked and felt "repaired."  I also tend to get bored with shampoos/conditioners so I switch it up every week or so.  I've been using Kakui Oil Shampoo and Conditioner by OGX that I picked up in the grocery store for about $7 each.  Again, my hair looks and feels got it's hydrated.  Good luck!!

Valued Contributor

@Bixa2805 wrote:

Can anyone suggest something that really works to help repair hilighted damaged hair? I have tried some masks, conditioners and coconut oil. They have helped some but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything they would consider a miracle product for damaged hair. 

Years ago WEN did wonders for my hair. It repaired the damage caused by coloring and daily blow drying.

I have since cut my hair very short and air dry my hair. I found that any type of hair oil would work to help address this issue. 

Occasional Contributor

Wen Fragrance Free formula.

Valued Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Bixa2805 wrote:

Can anyone suggest something that really works to help repair hilighted damaged hair? I have tried some masks, conditioners and coconut oil. They have helped some but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything they would consider a miracle product for damaged hair. 

It depends on the kind of damage you have. Do you know if your issue is a lack of moisture, a lack of protein, too much protein, or damage from processing?

If your hair has been damaged from processing, you may want to look into Olaplex #3. (Sephora is an authorized retailer, so I'd get it there over Amazon.) This treatment does not provide moisture or protein, it rebuilds the bonds that can be destroyed via processing. You can get the professional treatment done in a salon and the #3 is the take-home version.

If your hair needs protein, there are lots of good protein masks available. Nexxus Emergencee, DevaCurl Deep Sea Repair mask, ApHogee two-step protein treatment, and Joico's K-Pack are some good ones.

If your hair needs moisture and not protein, you can try Mielle Organics' Protein Free Hydrating Conditioner, Kiehl's Damage Repairing & Rehydrating Conditioner, or Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream Moisture Repairing Hair Mask. As I Am Hydration Elation is also good, but if your hair is suffering from protein overload, you should avoid that one because it has coconut oil and coconut oil can mimic a protein and exacerbate any protein overload issues.

If you hair needs both moisture and protein, you can try WEN Remoist or Mielle Organics' Deep Conditioner Babassu & Mint. Remoist has some protein, but it's heavier on moisture than protein. The Mielle Organics mask is pretty balanced.

I keep some from each category around. I try to use one for moisture weekly, one for protein before and after I color my hair, and use the Olaplex the least often. If you're highlighting, you may want to use Olaplex more often because lightening the hair weakens to bonds that Olaplex rebuilds.

@Alison Wonderland, great info!

Occasional Contributor

you are right. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bixa2805 wrote:

Nothing really works except WEN. Overtime WEN truly is a miracle product. Changes not only one's hair, but also the attitude about one's hair, and even changes self-esteem, if you can believe this.

Regular Contributor

Thank you Alison for all of the information and product suggestions. I am not really sure what my hair needs, it doesn’t really feel dry but looking at it it looks like frizzy, dry hair with lots of small hairs popping out all over the top of my head area. I think the hilighting has caused some damage but even before this I can remember the little hairs popping up all over the top of my head so maybe years of coloring and now hilighting has damaged my hair badly. I don’t know if I should quit the hilighting and just go all over color or if they are both equally damaging. I have gray hair popping through so I need to do something. How would I be able to tell if I need moisture, protein or the olaplex? 

Regular Contributor

Do you wash the treatment out with shampoo and conditioner the next day then?

Honored Contributor

Kevin Murphy hair products! Awesomeness!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

How bout a great haircut? Get rid of the damage and next time do not overprocess.