Regular Contributor

Need miracle product for my hair???

Can anyone suggest something that really works to help repair hilighted damaged hair? I have tried some masks, conditioners and coconut oil. They have helped some but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything they would consider a miracle product for damaged hair. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need miracle product for my hair???

@Bixa2805

WEN was a miracle worker for my dry, split, broken hair.  

Hair is now down to bra line full, shiny, not a single broken end, no frizz.

I hope you are successful in your search for a miracle!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I have nearly waist length color treated hair. Try Carol's Daughter's products; I love the Black Vanilla Smoothee to detangle in shower after shampooing and treat as a mask in the shower.

HSN, Sephora, Walgreens carries this line, sometimes found in 'ethnic' hair care section (in my Walgreens, atleast.)

Respected Contributor

@Bixa2805 wrote:

Can anyone suggest something that really works to help repair hilighted damaged hair? I have tried some masks, conditioners and coconut oil. They have helped some but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything they would consider a miracle product for damaged hair. 

It depends on the kind of damage you have. Do you know if your issue is a lack of moisture, a lack of protein, too much protein, or damage from processing?

If your hair has been damaged from processing, you may want to look into Olaplex #3. (Sephora is an authorized retailer, so I'd get it there over Amazon.) This treatment does not provide moisture or protein, it rebuilds the bonds that can be destroyed via processing. You can get the professional treatment done in a salon and the #3 is the take-home version.

If your hair needs protein, there are lots of good protein masks available. Nexxus Emergencee, DevaCurl Deep Sea Repair mask, ApHogee two-step protein treatment, and Joico's K-Pack are some good ones.

If your hair needs moisture and not protein, you can try Mielle Organics' Protein Free Hydrating Conditioner, Kiehl's Damage Repairing & Rehydrating Conditioner, or Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream Moisture Repairing Hair Mask. As I Am Hydration Elation is also good, but if your hair is suffering from protein overload, you should avoid that one because it has coconut oil and coconut oil can mimic a protein and exacerbate any protein overload issues.

If you hair needs both moisture and protein, you can try WEN Remoist or Mielle Organics' Deep Conditioner Babassu & Mint. Remoist has some protein, but it's heavier on moisture than protein. The Mielle Organics mask is pretty balanced.

I keep some from each category around. I try to use one for moisture weekly, one for protein before and after I color my hair, and use the Olaplex the least often. If you're highlighting, you may want to use Olaplex more often because lightening the hair weakens to bonds that Olaplex rebuilds.

Honored Contributor

I highly recommend Wen @Bixa2805.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Bixa2805 I've tried cheap, expensive, oils, everything.  I too have or should I say had, highlighted, damaged and curly dry hair. What is working for me is the relatively new Garnier Fructis Nourishing (not volume) Treat. I have used it on my towel dried hair but wasn't impressed. I leave this in, overnight and it has changed my hair. It's in much better shape and I've only used it three times. I bought the large size 13.5 oz size and I think I paid $8 or &9:00.. I put a thick layer on my hair, comb through and I have only used about, not even 1/4 of container. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another. Good luck!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Valued Contributor

I can highly recommend Pureology Hydrate, specifically the conditioner.  I highlight my hair, too, and have used the Hydrate for probably 10 years upon the recommendation of my hair stylist at the time.  Hydrate Conditioner is an amazing product.   Leaves my hair soft without weighing it down and instantly detangles, too, which can be a major problem caused by highlighting damage.  I find that I can use any gentle shampoo but am never without the Hydrate.

Honored Contributor

Years ago, my uncle married a woman with beautiful black, shiny hair.   Even tho her hair was jet black and color treated, it always looked so healthy.   Her conditioning secret was mayonnaise, no other product but mayo.  Every week she slathered and massaged handfuls of mayo into her hair, covered with a shower cap, and let it do its thing for several hours.   

My husbands aunt is currently using mayo to condition and repair her hair after 40 years of perms and severe damage.   She had to cut her hair super short, which she is not happy about, but 6 weeks of conditioning with mayo is giving her encouragement that better hair days are ahead.   

Esteemed Contributor

The mayo treatment has been around for decades. Have never used it myself, but have had friends do it and loved the results. Had forgotten all about the secret tip! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I think it's hit and miss.  Everybody's hair is different.  Given that, my recommendation, regardless of the conditioning products you use, make sure you cut out all sulfates.  There are a lot of sulfate-free shampoos and cleansing conditioners out there.  If you are using products with sulfates, ditch them!