Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with shingles scaring and nerve pain

nm

Super Contributor

I got a TERRIBLE case of shingles right after my son was born. (Later, I got breast cancer in EXACTLY the same place the blisters were, which strikes me as odd) I was very young when I got them, and it was so painful. It started with excrutiating pain in my back that no medicine would alleviate. Then the blisters came out on my breast---exactly opposite of where the pain was, which is status quo for this illness. I took the anti-virals and the doctor gave me a numbing salve---which helped, since I was carrying an infant around which put him exactly where the blisters were.

Sending good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Trusted Contributor

Since your shingles have all healed, what you're feeling is nerve inflammation, not a skin issue at this point. A doctor will be able to give you some relief with medication. Creams will only be temporary, at best. For some patients, this feeling goes away with time. For others, it can be a life long problem. The sooner you go get real medical help, the better off you'll be. Don't use any forum for medical advice. If you do, you're just begging for more problems!

Contributor

I came down with shingles 1st of Nov.... have been taking neurotin.... I realized it made me very tired..... blood pressure went up and got totally out of breath after walking into a store. Dr. changed the way I take the med.... but no difference.... so I quit taking it.... I do feel better .... and figure the pain is better than dealing with the problems I have with the meds.... I have it on my shoulder.... and sometimes it is worse than others..... it feels like pins poking my back.....

Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 ib_sewing2 said:

I came down with shingles 1st of Nov.... have been taking neurotin.... I realized it made me very tired..... blood pressure went up and got totally out of breath after walking into a store. Dr. changed the way I take the med.... but no difference.... so I quit taking it.... I do feel better .... and figure the pain is better than dealing with the problems I have with the meds.... I have it on my shoulder.... and sometimes it is worse than others..... it feels like pins poking my back.....

Did they prescribe the neurotin for the pain after the shingles?

My husband had shingles a few years ago and since then he has had occasional pain in his rib area and the MD gave him the same med.

i am wondering if is pain is related to the shingles

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

If you dab plain white vinegar on shingles it will relieve pain , As a matter of fact thatis what is used for the worst type of jelly fish stings , ! WHITE VINEGAR ,,,because it works ,

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 syl_babe said:

Got shingles on Thanksgiving day....on my face and up into my hair....sores are gone but there are some scars and nerve pain. I need a cream/oil/serum or something that is soothing and cooling. Any ideas?

Thanks, Sylvia

I don't understand why you wouldn't just go to your dermatologist? I'd rather get suggestions from a professional doctor!

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

Check with your doctor before taking any of these suggestions. Your doctor will know what product is best for you. Don't take suggestions from anyone else.

Valued Contributor

Ask your Dr. for an Rx for Lidoderm patches.

Contributor

PLEASE - for anyone considering taking Neurontin (gabapentin), do some research about the drug before taking it. While I realize that it has helped some people, speaking for myself it was terrible. I was on it for a year and a half for nerve pain. I began having many side effects (dizziness,fatigue, balance problems, problems with memory, etc.), plus the drug became less effective controlling pain. No one told me there would be WITHDRAWEL when going off this drug. I really had no idea. For me the withdrawel was terrible. I would never consider using Neurontin again. Of course, your experience could be different - just know the risks going in.