Respected Contributor

Re: Need drugstore boxed hair color rec's for stubborn grays

@dionline wrote:

I've been using my own ColorSilk #42 for well over a decade now. Still great gray coverage. I get some early grays showing thru but I just think it's my hair, not the formula. My roots get colored about every 3 wks - but at $2.97, I can afford to do it that often!!  Just be sure to add a few pumps of oil to the mixture. Right now I'm adding some Argan Oil I get from Sally's.

I couldn't be happier!!

Please explain when you add the oil.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I second leaving your color on longer than recommended say 45 to 55 minutes.
Respected Contributor

If you have a Sally close by, head on over.  They have a new age defying type of hair color that is wonderful.  They can walk you through the entire process and advise you how to choose the right color. They told me to go 1 shade lighter because it runs a little dark and they were right on.

Esteemed Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

If you have a Sally close by, head on over.  They have a new age defying type of hair color that is wonderful.  They can walk you through the entire process and advise you how to choose the right color. They told me to go 1 shade lighter because it runs a little dark and they were right on.

I second the vote for Sally Beauty and specifically the hair color line they carry called "ION."   I have had great succcess in the past with ION and was once in the store when the person next to me said her stylist told her to purchase ION, if she was going to do her own color.

Just a reminder that half of the success in retaining color in your hair is not only a terrific shampoo, but make sure that the last rinse through your hair is a cold rinse.  This will close the cuticle on your hair shaft.

(I use Fekkai shampoo for color treated hair.  Yes, it costs more, but is the best of its kind I've used in the many years I've been coloring my hair.)

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

There is a new brand out. i do not remember the name but it is keratin based.  This is the best and longest lasting color i ever tried. its been months and my color looks great. I only been doing root touc ups now.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm all white/grey - and have been using Garnier for years. No ammonia, very gentle, foamy. The best part is when I put it on my hair in my stall shower - and comb it thru - it doesn't spray all over my shower stalll. I recently used Color Silk --- what a mess it made in my shower - hair color all over the place - hated it.