Super Contributor

Need drugstore boxed hair color rec's for stubborn grays

My beloved REVLON ColorSilk is NOT covering grays any longer.

Not sure if it's the formula or my hair that has changed.Smiley Sad

I'm about 20% gray (mostly in front and sides).

Thanks a bunch ladies!Heart

Super Contributor

Re: Need drugstore boxed hair color rec's for stubborn grays

I've been using my own ColorSilk #42 for well over a decade now. Still great gray coverage. I get some early grays showing thru but I just think it's my hair, not the formula. My roots get colored about every 3 wks - but at $2.97, I can afford to do it that often!!  Just be sure to add a few pumps of oil to the mixture. Right now I'm adding some Argan Oil I get from Sally's.

I couldn't be happier!!

Frequent Contributor

Nice and Easy works well, I am almost 50% gray.  One tip, try rubbing the mixture in really well on the gray areas. 

Super Contributor

I have always used L'Oreal Excellence.  I recently tried their new L'Oreal Excellence Age Perfect hair color and love the way it looks.  My friend even asked if I went to a salonWoman Happy

L’Oreal Excellence Age Perfect OUR 1ST HAIRCOLOR FOR MATURE HAIR

Layered tones, flattering color.  Hair looks thicker, fuller and full of life.

Formulated with Pro-Keratine complex, our new layered tone technology delivers color full of natural-looking highs and lows. Grays are 100% covered, regrowth is beautifully blended and hair is renewed with volume and shine. Includes an easy application brush. Available in eight flattering shades.

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear that, I am 100% gray and thank goodness Colorsilk still lworks for me, been using it for last 18 years. I leave it on my roots 5 minutes longer than anywhere else.

Honored Contributor

I also suggest that you call the CS number for Colorsilk, Revlon has a seperate team of reps that are trained to help with Colorsilk tips, I have called them many times.

Contributor

I have had great luck with the Clairol Age Defy boxed color.  It is pricier but worth the extra $ since it seems to cover and last better.  I have medium brown hair and their standard med. brown gives me a natural looking  color with less red than I get from other boxed color.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How long are you leaving it on? My boxes generally say 25 minutes, but I usually leave my color on for 40-45 for better gray coverage.

You can also try adding some No Gray (sold at drugstores) or Gray Magic (sold at Sally Beauty) to your hair color. It may alter the final color result some, but it will cover the grays. You can do a strand test to check the final color result.

I would try the time increase first, then try the additive. (Don't leave it on for 45 minutes if you do use the additive.)

Respected Contributor

I love Garnier Nutrisse for my all gray hair. It has oils in it so your hair doesn't dry out and it doesn't smell too bad. Go lighter than you think cause it comes darker and you can always darken (once you go too dark it's almost impossible to go lighter).
Respected Contributor

I use Ion from Sallys.  It works very well for me, and is very inexpensive, ans I only use half the tube each time I color.  ... I don't do my whole head, just the crown portions.