Respected Contributor

Need advice regarding hair color

The guy I was going to for over 15 years moved out of the country.  He was excellent and his prices were great.

I have my hair which is a medium brown with a few blond highlights put in about every 6 or so weeks. 

Since he's  no longer around, I had to find someone else and ended up finding a woman I used to go to many, many years ago through facebook.

She did my hair on Monday, but unfortunately, she put way too many highlights in it and it was way too blond.

I spoke to her the next day and she offered to come to my house and put some toner on it for me.  She put the toner on and after 15 minutes, she said to go and rinse it out in the shower, then shampoo/condition which I did.  She had to leave, so she said to text her and let her know how it looks.

After blow drying it, I almost fell off my chair realizing that it is now very close to one solid dark brown, with a few stray highlights in the back.

DH took 2 pictures of the front and back and I sent them to her asking her thoughts.  She agreed it went very dark and told me to use a clarifying shampoo the next day which I did.

It is still very dark and just doesn't look very good on me, especially with not even a few blond highlights.

Any thoughts/suggestions?  The last thing I want to do is have her put more highlights on top and damage my hair.

TIA.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice regarding hair color

[ Edited ]

@HisElk1  A toner used by itself is temporary. Those highlights will likely lighten up after a few shampoos. I think the only way to have fewer highlights is to have her lowlight your hair. Or if you're brave enough, you could get a Loreal color close to your dark color and go over some of the highlights at home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily, she did mention that it would lighten up, and I hope it does a bit.  I do not look good with almost all one color and as dark as it is, I'm hoping it won't take long. 

On the other hand, I sure don't want it to go back to how blond it was either.

Right now, I'm really missing my guy of over 15 years. Smiley Sad

ETA I forgot to say thank you.

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@HisElk1  A toner used by itself is temporary. Those highlights will likely lighten up after a few shampoos. I think the only way to have fewer highlights is to have her lowlight your hair. Or if you're brave enough, you could get a Loreal color close to your dark color and go over some of the highlights at home.

@Desert Lily, LOL, I am not brave enough to do it myself.  I was thinking the low lights would certainly help before she did the toner, but now it's too late.  I guess I'll wait and see what it looks like in a week or so.  It's just frustrating; not an earth shattering problem.  I'm going to take a picture with me next time to show her what I'd like.

The last thing I want to do is have more chemical/color put on my hair and really damage it. 

Thanks again for your help.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That has happened to me in reverse, at a salon. I asked for highlights and after they were done, no one could see them... to the tune of $120.
They then, sat me down and redid them, then it was too much and I looked totally blonde- Then they toned them and it was ok, but 4 hrs later, I was very annoyed.

I dont go to salons anymore- don't trust them and wayyyy too much money.
No one understands my coarse, wavy difficult hair, and if I do get a cut I like, they can never replicate it.  Gave up. 

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1    there is a product that will lift color.  Years ago my stylish colored my hair too dark so he had to lift the color.  I don't know the name of it but it does exist.  Another option is to leave it.  This woman does not sound like she knows what she is doing.  Best of luck to you.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

if your highlights are redone, the bleach will likely break your hair.  I would wait it out a few months and find a stylist on Angie's List.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

That has happened to me in reverse, at a salon. I asked for highlights and after they were done, no one could I copse them... to the tune of $120.
They then, sat me down and redid them, then it was too much and I looked totally blonde- Then they toned them and it was ok, but 4 hrs later, I was very annoyed.

I dont go to salons anymore- don't trust them and wayyyy too much money. No one understands my coarse, wavy difficult hair, and if I do get a cut I like, they can never replicate it.  Gave up. 

@Skyegirl21     You''re not the only one with unruly hair......I deal with something that looks like THIS:

See the source image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lol @Desertdi Agree!   The only thing that controls it in summer is an expensive Keratin treatment. Otherwise, frizz, frizz, frizz. I am considering cutting it short for the summer because it's also  soooo itchy on my neck-

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

if your highlights are redone, the bleach will likely break your hair.  I would wait it out a few months and find a stylist on Angie's List.

@ECBG   That would be my advice, as well. Give her hair a rest and then find another stylist. I wouldn't try to do anything with boxed color, color remover, more highlights now, etc. She'd risk a lot damage to her hair and possibly, the worst thing, having to have a shorter haircut to get hair healthy again.