Super Contributor

Re: Need advice for growing out my gray hair

@kcladyz wrote:

I use Clairol natural instincts  that lasts up to 28 shampoos and it works very well.  I think if you are that much grey  you may want to refresh the color every 14 washes instead of 28. It does wash out completely but  its a good 98%  out after 28 shampoos

So good to know!  Thanks a bunch.  I'm heading to Sally's tomorrow.  I'll check it out.  

Respected Contributor

Boy, I hear you! I went gray in my twenties! Unfortunately my gray is very ugly, cotton white up front, salt and pepper (mostly salt!) in middle and black coffee colored in back! I thought once about using blonde Demi color over heavy blonde highlights until it grew out. Just be aware, the Demi color stains my hair! It fades but never completely goes away! Good luck!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Super Contributor

I am a tried and true red head and was always told red heads never go gray? As I got older, the red began to fade into a not so lovely color, so I started coloring it. I did that for years, but then the inevitable happened. The hair around my forhead and ears was growing out gray/white faster than I could keep up with it. One day about 5 months ago, my sister decided she wanted to let her hair go gray, the clincher being, I had to do it with her. We are quite competitive, so the bet was on to see who could last the longest. Our hair is short, so it didn't take many cuts to find out how much gray we actually had.. At first I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror because I was all about the "red"...it was who I am and I felt like that person in the mirror was not me at all, but I wasn't about to lose the bet. As time went on, I got so many compliments on my hair and I started noticing that the gray actually gave life to my pale skin and I was getting many compliments. Looking back now, I realize the red hair was a bit harsh for my age, so to make my long story a bit longer, I now love my hair. So much less work and expense. It surely wasn't a walk in the park for me while growing it out, but I won the bet and got a whole new look that I love. Just jump in there...you can always color again later.

Super Contributor

@poppinfresh wrote:

I am a tried and true red head and was always told red heads never go gray? As I got older, the red began to fade into a not so lovely color, so I started coloring it. I did that for years, but then the inevitable happened. The hair around my forhead and ears was growing out gray/white faster than I could keep up with it. One day about 5 months ago, my sister decided she wanted to let her hair go gray, the clincher being, I had to do it with her. We are quite competitive, so the bet was on to see who could last the longest. Our hair is short, so it didn't take many cuts to find out how much gray we actually had.. At first I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror because I was all about the "red"...it was who I am and I felt like that person in the mirror was not me at all, but I wasn't about to lose the bet. As time went on, I got so many compliments on my hair and I started noticing that the gray actually gave life to my pale skin and I was getting many compliments. Looking back now, I realize the red hair was a bit harsh for my age, so to make my long story a bit longer, I now love my hair. So much less work and expense. It surely wasn't a walk in the park for me while growing it out, but I won the bet and got a whole new look that I love. Just jump in there...you can always color again later.

What a great story! Thank you for sharing.  And congrats on winning the bet! haha...  I'm really hoping I have the guts to stick this out.  I am dying to know what my hair really looks like.  I am a full-time caretaker for two very sick family members and my time is limited.  I need easy but want to look good too.  I am also very fair and think grey hair may compliment my skin as well.  We'll see... 

Super Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

Boy, I hear you! I went gray in my twenties! Unfortunately my gray is very ugly, cotton white up front, salt and pepper (mostly salt!) in middle and black coffee colored in back! I thought once about using blonde Demi color over heavy blonde highlights until it grew out. Just be aware, the Demi color stains my hair! It fades but never completely goes away! Good luck!

You are the second person to mention that demi color stains the hair.  Ugh..... I was so hoping this was the answer to helping me grow it out.  If it stains, then you still must get roots which what I am trying to avoid... Thanks for the info.  These boards are such a great resource for advice!

Honored Contributor

@LoyalQVCustomer wrote:

I have silver platinum hair and foolishly colored it several years ago because I had spring fever. The upkeep was too much so I cut my hair in a short spiky pixie and bit the bullet until it grew out. I considered temporary or semi-permanent color but read that it never completely rinses out. I wanted my beautiful silvery white hair so I told myself if having my roots show is the worst thing to happens to me for 5-6 months, I'm a very lucky person. Good luck.  

You make it sound like getting your hair cut into a short spiky pixie is a bad thing! Thats been the way I've been wearing my hair for the past 30 years or so! I LOVE it. And for letting my hair grow out to gray I'm one who will never ever do that! Those that don't mind looking 10 years older than they actually are I say go for it. Looking younger by coloring your hair is such an easy and cheap fix in my book. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@cac140 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

My thoughts as I've tried and just can't do it:

* It depends on your natural hair color as to the different things you can do with your color as well as the color of your grey (few are the gorgeous silver-white I was surprised to learn. Mine is not except for a specific area. Go figure).

* Using a wash in-wash out (28 shampoos) is a great way to grow it out IF your hair is shorter and you will get frequent trims or choose to go short. Stay on top of it and it works quite well. Long hair is not an easy to do this with.

*Work with your stylist to achieve the look you want as you transition.

I had a long conversation with my stylist. I've tried on wigs. I thought about simply going lighter in shade (natural dark brown); lighter hair color is NOT flattering on me. If I'm going to go 100% grey, it HAS to be the bright silver-white and that is going to mean having to color my hair as the bulk of my hair is a yellowed-brown grey....dirty dentures is what she called it. I've tried growing it out but it was not flattering in any way so.....

when the time comes that my look (long dark hair with white streaks... all natural, btw) doesn't work, she's going to do low lights and highlights and multi-level coloring (CLUELESS as to what this all means) but in the end, my hair will gradually go from dark brown with streaks to more of the white, less of the brown until I'm 100% white (with the help of a coloring agent).

The cut is also important as so many of us develop kinky, course, wiry hair. Styles/cuts I used to be able to do no longer work, so we cut my hair into a style that works with my texture as well as length that is flattering to me. It can take a while to get it right but it's worth the time and effort.

I wish you all the best on your journey. There are many forums out there dedicated to those who choose to do this (and who have reached their goal). In the end, it's a personal choice and it must work for you: no one else. Hugs!!

Oh my gosh, your hair is going to be amazing.  I've been reading a bit about all this and I think I get the gist of what your stylist is planning to do for you.  Very, very pretty!  I am getting a layered cut this week and plan on going much shorter than usual.  I'll talk with my stylist and see what she says. Last time I brought this up she said to me "Why would you want to look older than you are?"  I was actually disappointed to hear that but brushed it off and let it go.  I love the way she cuts my hair and I color it myself anyway.  She always tells me my color looks good so I know she's not trying to make more money off of me.  But I do trust her knowledge.  She's been doing this a long time.  I think I have EmmyLou Harris hair.  I'm almost all white.  So that's why I'm not quite sure what to do if I do this myself.  Thanks for the input.  You are awesome!

@cac140  It looks on your AVATAR that you have blonde hair now.  When I decided to stop the color madness, I added highlights to my hair.  I had only been using the 28 wash hair color and I have to agree that it does not completely wash out.  It will fade, but you will have a line of demarcation where your roots grow in.  I was tired of my scalp always itching from the color.  I hated seeing white at my part and around my temples.  I think that looks unpolished and screams "I am coloring my hair!"  I had to touch up once a week to avoid that.  This is so freeing.....I have a clean part now, not to mention a healthy scalp.  I would do what I wanted to do and not what my hair stylist wanted.  Give it a try.  If you don't like it, you can always color it again, but you won't know until you give it a go.  BTW I have had many men tell me that I remind them of EmmyLou Harris.....not bad, I think.  My husband loves my hair and that is big to me.  Also, my hair is below my shoulders.  I didn't resort to a short haircut for this process.  It really was painless LOL and well worth it. 

Horror of horrors, I have long white hair.  The kiss of death according to many on this forum LOL Smiley Happy.

Go for it!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

Ask your hairdresser about using Shades EQ.  It's a demi-permanent that gives tremendous shine.  You can get it on Amazon.  That might be a way of evening out the color while you grow it out.  Since you're blonde, it might work well.  Perhaps your hairdresser could suggest a shade for you. 

@Ms X  This is the color that I used for a long time until I had highlights added.  My hairdresser turned me on to this and even gave me the empty bottle so I could order it my self.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tends2dogs, Cute nick name. Loved what you said. Wore pixie cut for years, Loved it that way. Four years ago stopped dying my hair. Decided wanted long hair, Healthy long waves of silver. Posted picture here my hair shoulder length. Both men and women often complimenting. Ditto to everything you said. My boyfriend is 10 yrs younger we met on match.com funny thing is first thing he said besides beautiful smile, I love your hair. Richard Gere's twin. Wish everyone health happiness, LOVE!! 😍💋

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

Ask your hairdresser about using Shades EQ.  It's a demi-permanent that gives tremendous shine.  You can get it on Amazon.  That might be a way of evening out the color while you grow it out.  Since you're blonde, it might work well.  Perhaps your hairdresser could suggest a shade for you. 

@Ms X  This is the color that I used for a long time until I had highlights added.  My hairdresser turned me on to this and even gave me the empty bottle so I could order it my self.

My hairdresser won't tell me the color.  Sometimes I'll pick a color from her book and she'll say she used that and mixed another color in.  I can get them myself on Amazon, though.  It makes your hair look healthier rather than drying it out.  I especially like the clear that adds some shine to your hair.