Contributor

Hi Ladies & Friends, my husband and I are going to celebrate our 30th Anniversary by going on a 2 week European vacation!! We are so excited! We are taking a tour as this is our first time to Europe and we want to see as much as we can. I am looking for help as to what to pack...I usually like to bring along way too much but since we will only be staying in one location no more that 3 days-I don't want to over pack! YIKES!! We are going to Rome, Venice, Austria, Germany, London and Paris. We are going the end of June and I hope someone can give me advice ....THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice for Vacation!!

We did a similar tour a few years ago. We were limited to one not huge suitcase each. I packed 3pairs of black travel weight pants from chicos . My tops 4 were black ,tan and turquoise. I packed nighties and a lightweight robe, a light jacket 3 bras and disposable underwear., an small umbrella and a comfortable pair of sandals that I could walk in or use for dinner. Everything was hand washable and dried overnight. My dh wore clothes from travel smith and magellans because they were all washable. I would not recommend jeans or logo tee shirts. Europeans dress much nicer than we do. I also had 2 scarves that I used a lot. Check with your tour company as to luggage allowances. Many hotels have no ac...we only drank bottled water. You also want yo take OTC pain reliever and something for stomach upsets plus your prescription meds. I packed a small blow up neck pillow for the bus. A pashmina type shawl is nice too especially for the long plane ride. My main shoes were a good pair of walking shoes that required me to take some socks. Europeans do not wear a lot if athletic type shoes. Have fun
Honored Contributor

If you are going to The Vatican, check their website, because they have a dress code. There also is a giant pickpocket ring there. Buy the purse they sell on the Q that can't have the straps cut. Follow the directions The Vatican gives for your husband's wallet. If your tour is scheduled to go to fancier restaurants, you'll need something dressier to wear. Call your tour operator, too. They might have specific advice for you, or check your brochures for more information. You will need a scarf for your head and a light jacket. Check the weather for each destination, in advance. I took more bras and underwear than SydsGma. I just bought two new packages of underwear and seven bras. Find out about each hotel on your tour and what they supply. You might need a power converter and travel iron, if your hotels don't supply this. Same with your hair dryer.

Trusted Contributor

Have fun on your trip.

Be sure to take a security purse, they sell them on the Q and also Travelsmith, Magellans, and Pacsafe. These are the ones that are slash proof. You may also want to use the wallets that go around your waist for your credit cards and money ( just carry enough money for the day in a purse, or DH's pockets. Sydsgma has the right idea, disposable underwear and also socks, this way you don't carry dirty ones. Be sure you wear comfortable shoes, try to find something you can wear from touring to dinner, this way you save space in your luggage.

If you have more questions, just google the question and you will find quite a variety of responses. Have fun exploring your options.

Again, Happy Anniversary and have and safe and fun trip.

Oh and I forgot to add: Yes, you can wear the same shirt twice.

Contributor

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of advice I am looking for. I never knew they made disposable underwear...who knew? OTC medications is another thing I didn't think of. When traveling in the states-things are readily available. We have a meeting with our travel agent to book excursions 2 weeks before we go-but I am a planner and need to figure out my clothing and things way before that time. Any other advice for this first time Europe Traveler would be appreciated!

Contributor

Go on E bags and check out the packing cubes. Different sizes available in sets. Read the reviews for hints on packing. I just used them for a long trip to South America, and couldn't believe how great they were.

Also- check out the TRAVEL GIRL FASHION website for great hints on how to pack light. She has great ideas for what you'll need.(Also is great video on the packing cubes.)

Have a great trip, and Happy 30th Anniversary!!!

Oh- and when I packed for my husband- I followed a hint I found on the web. Goggled "packing tips."

Also- check Rick Steves "graffiti wall" for the latest scams all over Europe.

Respected Contributor

We went to Europe and TripAdvisor and Fodors were the best in planning our dream vacation. We never encountered any problems that we were warned about but we were prepared for them. Have a great time!!!

Valued Contributor

I've been to Rome . Venice, London and Paris. Late June can already start to be getting fairly warm in these cities so dress in light layers and bring a light jacket in case it gets cool. Most important thing of all, already broken in comfortable walking shoes or you will be miserable! You may need a scarf to cover your head if you go into St Peter's in Rome, I forget! Enjoy all the food (even in London) because you will be walking off all the calories. And try to slip off (if your tour gives you free time) to some local spots rather than sticking with all the known tourist areas to get a real feel for each city and how the locals actually live. This can end up being the most fun! Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

My sister and I went on a two week road trip to Canada last fall and each of us only took a carry-on suitcase. Our secret was Space Bags. You can get these bags at Walmart that are dual-use...you can vacuum the air out or roll the air out with your hands. I just sat on mine on the bed. I also found Susan Graver's liquid knit was a huge suitcase space saver; it always looks nice, can be rinsed out and tries overnight. None of the things in the bags wrinkled. I wore a clean outfit every day and did no laundry.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

We are going to Rome, Venice, Austria, Germany, London and Paris. You can not visit all these cities in 12 days. Most trips start at night when you fly to first city, and end early morning the last day. I would decide on Italy, or Austria, Germany, or London and Paris.