Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice about hair removal for the face

Yes @granddi , you are correct... I should have thought of that, but all my hair is dark!  Both devices require hair that is darker than surrounding skin. Sorry for not saying... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Panasonic Facial Hair Trimmer for Women ES2113PC, with Pivoting Head and Eyebrow Trimmer Attachments, Dry Use, Battery-Operated76BD210F-B716-4DF2-AD5C-1C482ABD75E5.jpeg

Works great. Never hurts. Very small. Very inexpensive. Buy two at a time because they don't last. Look for it on Amazon. 

Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox wrote:

Lady Chat, I get what you are saying. While trying to research this issue for myself, I have found that while shaving your face does NOT make the hair grow back any faster or thicker, what DOES happen is that the hair is cut at varying angles and if looked at under a microscope, an angular edge can be seen which was formed when the hair shafts were cut during shaving. This can definitely feel rougher when growing back in, as opposed to a regular, "virgin" hair shaft that will tend to have a more tapered end and thus feel softer. The angular cut on each hair shaft is also more noticable if you have a thicker and/or coarser hair shaft. In my case, the hair on my head is very coarse and porous by nature, so I am sure that is why I feel more hair growth on its way back in.

Now, everyone gets information from different sources these days, so I am sure there is conflicting information out there on this topic. I am just agreeing with you that I notice what you notice. 

With that in mind, you have a choice....you can use hair removal methods that avoid cutting the hair shaft, such as depilatories and "hair yankers" like the one mentioned by a previous poster, or you can continue shaving in some form and just expect to do it about every three days to keep your face smooth. The hair yankers work great, but sometimes in-grown hairs result if you do not keep up with your skin regimens to keep cell turn over going. Of course, shaving can cause in-grown hairs too for the same reason. So, I wish you luck, and please know you are not alone in your frustration. I still shave by the way. Hair yanking HURTS!  Smiley Surprised

@ThinkOutsidetheBox  Thank you so much! That's exactly what I have been experiencing.  It's so good to know that I'm not the only one!   The research you did about the angular cut of the hair shaft  and the way it grows back, especially if the hair  tends to be more porous or coarse,  makes a lot of sense.  Using  depilatories  'might make more sense for me.   Not sure about the "yankers" lol!   I really can't thank you enough, I was really starting to wonder why I wasn't having the same results as others.   Can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to help me!  Have a wonderful week!

Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I had a lot of facial hair. Shavers are only good for a couple of hours of no hair. Epilator is better and hair is gone for longer, but it hurts.
If you're able, get a Tria laser or an IPL device. They really work for permanent solution and not painful. That's my experience! 

Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Lady Chat  I use the Sally Hansen wax strips.  Easy, fast, effective.  Somehow using a razor on my face does not appeal to me--LOL!!!

Thanks so much!  I know how you feel, not comfortable with razors either. lol!!

Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I have to agree with @Lady Chat -- years ago I used a tiny Remington razor to shave my upper lip.  Everyone I talked to assured me that shaving wouldn't change the way my hair grew back in.   However, my soft blonde peach fuzz turned into thick, black, wiry whiskers.  Shaving or plucking my mustache is now a daily necessity.   Be careful!

Exactly!  I was told the same, but it didn't turn out that way.  I think everyone is different and you don't really know till yout try unfortunately.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I second Blackhorse's recommendation for Flawless appliance.  It is so convenient -- and yes --- it does work!!  I was constantly plucking and missing half of the hairs and it hurts!!!  No pain here at all --- and no sensitivity.  You can use every day and no issue at all.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Lady Chat 

I get my upper lip & chin waxed (actually, I've switched to sugaring; it's more gentle).  I have for 25+ years. I get it done every 8 weeks (in the early years it was every 4 weeks, but after all these years I don't have to go as often).

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

Back in the day I was a clinical electrologist. i had hundreds of women coming to me for the purpose of removing every hair from their face. I worked hard to convince them that vellus hair (peach fuzz) serves a functional purpose and should be left intact. It's purpose, according to research, is to protect the skin by deflecting sunlight away from the skin. It is perfectly angled in its growth pattern to do just that. If that is your only facial hair concern, then embrace it. If you have coarse dark hair and budget is a concern, then shaving or tweezing that area is perfectly viable.

Trusted Contributor

I shave my face with a 3 blade razor. I can't be stand peach fuzz on my face. It's light in color but I hate it. I just did it tonight. I use the epilator on my chin but too painful on my cheeks. I've used other methods but shaving works best for me.