Trusted Contributor

Re: Need a suggestion to re-place SCA Meltdown...

On 2/9/2015 Anniecamp said:

Sorry, I was going to suggest Pond's Cold Cream. I've used the SCA Meltdowns for years, and Pond's in an emergency. They're the only ones I've found that really remove the makup. You could try Abolene/Albolene? I used that years ago and it did a good job. Come to think of it, maybe it also has mineral oil.

Is there a particular reason you object to mineral oil? It's a pretty safe ingredient, and has been used forever.

I switched from the SCA Meltdowns to Ponds about a year ago. I love the Ponds, especially in the winter months. It's a shame that mineral oil gets such a bad rap. Baby oil is 100% mineral oil and it's marketed to use on babies. I've been using straight up baby oil to remove makeup for over 30 years...so far so good! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Valued Contributor

I also heartily second the POND's cold cream make-up remover. It does the job for the right price of my budget. I then follow with a normal cleanser.

Trusted Contributor

I use Albolene or Ponds cold cream cleanser. Both work great but Ponds is more enjoyable to use. CVS drugstore has a Ponds BOGO this week in my area so I picked up two jars for the price of one. CVS also makes their own dupe of Ponds cold cream cleanser for a few dollars less and it has the exact same ingredients.

I looked at the ingredients in the SCA Cucumber meltdown and was surprised to see alpha-hydroxy acids in it (glycolic acid, lactic acid, malic acid) plus retinol. No wonder people are experiencing burning, especially around the eyes. The Coconut meltdown doesn't have the AHA's but it does have retinol, just an odd ingredient to have in a makeup remover.

Respected Contributor

Thanks a million everyone!! I also looked up the ingredients, and saw some acids, but didn't know if they were good to have or not.

I really appreciate the suggestions here. I may give the Ponds a try, since I wash again with a good cleanser. One thing...I'll be saving some money if I cancel the Meltdown. It always bothered me to spend $25 on a pre-wash. Then the burning..??

Love you guys here{#emotions_dlg.tt1}