Respected Contributor

Need a recommendation for a jasmine perfume!

[ Edited ]

Sadly, Joy by Jean Patou is no more—in fact the entire Jean Patou line has been discontinued for sometime. I've been searching for an eau de parfum ever since that is largely based in jasmine.

I love rose, gardenia, even sandalwood bases. But really want a jasmine nose experience. {Cologne and eau de toilette are too weak for my nose.}

Many stores I relied on for "testing" new perfumes in person (mainly Nordstrom) are carrying few in the store. Tried to find, for example, Tom Ford's Jasmine Rouge at my Nordstrom, but it's only online.

Hoping YOUR actual experiences with a jasmine perfume can lead me to one to try!

Respected Contributor

Re: Need a recommendation for a jasmine perfume!

I'm looking forward to the answers here. Many years ago I had a Perlier jasmine single note eau de parfum. It made me feel blissfully unsophisticated. I'd buy it again anytime. 

I think women under 40 prefer food smells (citrus, cinnamon, vanilla) to florals, and that's why we're seeing so few florals in the market.

Honored Contributor

Fracas!  Or maybe Jo Malone has something--although those are normally lighter fragrances.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

Fracas!  Or maybe Jo Malone has something--although those are normally lighter fragrances.

Thanks, @Sooner. Jo Malone is a cologne, too light.

I'm unfamlliar with Fracas—do you have it? {Hoping for experiences.}

images.jpeg

Here's the online description, intriguing:

The coveted jewel in the crown of Piguet’s glittering collection, 1948 game-changer Fracas, is a long-time trendsetter. Here, legendary perfumer, Germaine Cellier, sought to create a scent that would make its wearer feel like a bombshell; one that would leave an unsettling effect on everyone that encountered it.

With unmistakable and unrivaled opulent tuberose and jasmine accords, this lush and creamy concoction clings to a woman’s skin and warms with her unique chemistry. Unlike many traditional white florals, Fracas is dark and luscious. Rich accents of sandalwood and delicate musk enhance the brilliance and complexity.

Its legacy and unrivaled artistry has earned Fracas a proud position in the Fragrance Foundation Hall of Fame.

Another online description, so now I wonder if it was discontinued?

Only reissued in 1998?

Fracas was first launched in 1948 and then reissued in 1998. Intoxicating fragrance in Parisian style, known for its refined simplicity, and as an object of desire for women all over the world. Fracas is glamorous and comfortable at the same time, modern and provocative. It is ultra feminine and sexy!

This year Robert Piguet house celebrates the 60th anniversary of the fragrance Fracas. The composition of this fragrance is enchanting… It opens with freshly sweet notes of bergamot, mandarin, and lilac. The heart brings lovely fusion of white flowers. Tuberose, exuberant and seductive, nicely blends with pure, clear and intensive notes of jasmine, white narcissus, gardenia, lily of the valley and white iris, with a hint of orange blossom and violet embraced by sandalwood, vetiver and sensual musk in the base.

Fracas comes in a recognizable black bottle, typical for this brand, as all of their fragrances come in bottles of the same color and shape. It is available as 7.5 ml (0.3 oz.fl.) and 30ml (1 oz.fl.) parfum extrait and 50ml (1.7 fl.oz.) and 100ml (3.4 fl.oz.) EDP. It is accompanied with matching body care product – Silkening Body Wash (250ml), Silkening Body Lotion (250ml) and Silkening Body Crème (200ml). It can also be found as solid perfume (2 gr).

This fragrance has tickled the imagination of many celebrities, and many of them such as Madonna, Kim Basinger, Martha Stewart, Morgan Fairchild, Carolina Herrera, Stella Tennant, Courtney Love, and many other, have placed it among their favorite fragrances.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor I have worn it for maybe 30 years or more.  It is my dress up, feel pretty choice since the really loud perfumes from the 1980's and 90's went out of fashion (but I still may wear one lightly when I'm home!).

I love some of the older, louder, more vibrant scents that I wouldn't wear now, but Fracas I still do wear "in public."

I read recently it is a favorite of Martha Stewart also.

I also love, on a more modern note: Hana Mori, Trish McEvoy #9, Blue Agave and Cacao by Jo Malone (and a number of her others), and a huge favorite is:

Hermes Eau des Merveilles An enchanting perfume, warm and sparkling.A fragrance composed of smooth, vanilla toned benzoin and ambergris woody notes, a wonderful stroll in the refreshing cool of wild orange trees.

Olfactory emotion: Spicy, Dry
Main raw materials: Elemi, Benzoin, Bitter orange 

I don't know how I would describe this other than bright, sweet freshness!  I absolutely love it.  It doesn't smell like anything else to me.  

Sorry this is off topic, but you made me think about it!  It's your fault!  Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

Gratitude. Fabulous reply, rich with words that remind me how essential to have one perfume you truly love—across time!

Adore fragrance talk . . .

Honored Contributor

@1Professor I'll be willing to bet if you call and actually talk to someone during the day at the perfume counter of Neiman's or Nordstrom you will find someone willing to mail you a few samples or even spray their card with a fragrance and mail it. 

Once one of the guys at Nordstroms said they were out of some cosmetic I was trying to order, but he was going on break and if I'd give him my card number he would have it sent from Neiman Marcus from someone he knew there.

I said ok because I said I was going to give it to him anyway.  And he had it done, called me back and mailed me the receipt next day.  Of course that was a while back, but in those stores they usually are very happy to work with me and I have bought a number of things on recommendations person to person or samples they send. 

Respected Contributor

@1Professor ~ Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane!  A beautiful scent. I receive many compliments when I wear it.

An all time favorite of mine was LaCoste Pour Femme, and was discontinued several years ago.  I’ve been trying to find a ‘dupe’

for it, but no luck.  They still sell it, but it’s basically a water/alcohol concoction, with a barely there hint of the fragrance.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@1Professor ~ Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane!  A beautiful scent. I receive many compliments when I wear it.

Good luck!

@AKgirl2 

Chasing your fabulous suggestion!

26_76860_cf1e698c13a8713a3365ca4ba4ad6752_270.jpg

3614270529511-LCOM-MAISONLANCOME-JASMINSPDP-PACKSHOT-1000x1000.jpg

Enchanting bottle!

Found this description:

Jasmins Marzipane Eau de Parfum stands out with its lively enveloping femininity. Perfumer Dominique Ropion blended a duo of the highest-quality natural hand-picked jasmine. Sambac jasmine absolute, gathered at dawn from the first harvests, conveys explosive, green and radiant luminosity, while grandiflorum jasmine absolute from the last summer harvests brings more opulent and animal tones with leathery and fruity accents. The almond wood signature softens the entire creation. Bourbon vanilla extract, which exalts the smooth, sensual, spicy and leathery facets of the scent, is accentuated by creamy sandalwood, cashmeran wood and musks. Woody, white, flower, floral.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor    this sounds really pretty White Jasmine and Mint by Jo Malone.  She also has another fragrance that is considered "Intense."

kindness is strength