Frequent Contributor

Need a new hairspray & mousse

I was hoping everyone could help me w/ a dilemma I've been having & give me recomendations.

I'm looking for a hairspray & mousse that will hold my hair but not make it flat. I will admit I did buy some less expensive mousse. But, in my defense, I didn't have time to stand at Wal Mart & read every single bottle, nor did I have the $$$ to spend on something that doesn't work. So, I went with a cheaper brand. It makes my hair feel like straw & my hair loses its bounce within hrs. I thought maybe I could go w/a cheaper mousse seeing how I had a great hairspray.

And my hairspray leaves a horrible sand paper like film all over everything!!!! Me, the bathroom etc. Basically, anything it falls on. I have to actually scrub my bathroom down everyday I use it. My kids use it too. It's not cheap either. It's not the same brand as the mousse. I don't use them together either anymore. I thought maybe they didn't like each but it dosen't seem to matter. This is the 2nd spray I've used that does it!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a new hairspray & mousse

@taginsc2016,   For a drugstore brand, try Nexus and if you want to spend a little more money, I use Aquage volume hair spray and Uplifting Foam (mousse).  Aquage is sold at certain hair salons or you can purchase online at EBay or Amazon.  Ebay usually offers free shipping.  Aquage offers excellent products.  I also use their thickening gel spray that really thickens my hair.  Good luck with your search.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@taginsc2016I'm not in love with any mousse right now, but I love the L'Oreal Elnett Satin hairspray for my fine, flat hair.  Watch for coupons or percent off at the big drugstores.  The only time I paid full price was for a small size to throw in my travel case.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No suprise,  I love WEN mousse & Volumizing Treatment Spray.

The mousse gives my hair lift & the VTS gives a touchable hold.

It doesn't take much of either of these products, and I get a long use from each bottle even though my hair is past my shoulders.

Chaz has recently added a Finishing Spray to his product line, it offers more

hold than the VTS.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Try Tresemme ... they have several formulas.  

Also - John Frieda's Frizz Ease for curly hair is a nice mousse.    (blue label

Lastly - I tried a Loreal volume hair spray -- pretty good but a bit too stiff for everyday use.

Valued Contributor

I also like the tresemme hairspray and mousse and the Elenett hairspray,

cathyf from ma

Regular Contributor

I second @millieshops for the Elnet.  It can't be beat!

For the mouse I like the Nick Chavez angel wings "stringy" stuff, or his horsetail rootlifting spray, then use the Calista hot brush, followed by the Elnet.  There are different "strengths" from light, normal, extra, to super.   Unless I run in to rain or humidity I'm poufy for the day.........  If it rains, I morph into a drowned small wee thing best avoided by man and beast alike.........

Valued Contributor

I just discovered a new line of hair products at Target called Kristen Ess.  She is a celebrity hair stylist and her products are moderately priced.  I have her mousse and I love it.  Gives volume without making my hair sticky or flat.  I also use her pomade and it is the best I've ever tried.  I think the mousse was $14 and the pomade $10.  All her products are water-based so they rinse out completely and don't build up in your hair.

Valued Contributor

I highly recommend Sebastian Shaper hairspray.I have thick shoulder length hair cut in layers so I need the holding power.Plus,I live in TX so humidity can be challenge. I don't use mousse just hairspray and very happy with it after many years of trying other products.It doesn't make my hair stiff either and my bathroom seems fine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have baby-fine, wavy, naturally-dry hair and use 'Tresemme 24 Hour Body Foaming Mousse'.

Decent-sized at 8.1 oz, very reasonably-priced, and has lots of rave reviews on the 'Net.

You can get it locally at Walmarts and Walgreens, or order it online for free store pickup from Target.